Print this page Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jul 122014

I was stopped at a stoplight and tried to accelerate only to find out I was not moving much. I determined there was another issue with the transmission not shifting into gear. The light turned green and I was almost rear ended in a multiple vehicle accident until I slowly down shifted out of drive to 1st gear. I was finally able to up shift through 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears up to road speed and then shift into drive. This has been a regular occurrence since this time. I have issues with hard shifting when I back out of my driveway, from a full stop and even when the transmission tries to shift up when I am driving in town or highway speeds. This creates a very dangerous situation for me and other drivers. Please research this issue and bring this to the attention of General Motors. I think for as many impacted cars as are on the road there should be a safety recall issued. I don't think there needs to be deaths with people driving these cars before the manufacturer should make design changes. When I purchased this car I thought it would be safe and have just normal wear and tear issues. This has not been the case with my 2006 Chevrolet Impala. I have had numerous issues crop up that I see other car owners have endured as well from the online posts about said such issues. I am happy for youtube and others that had gone through the same issue. At least I was able to figure out how to resolve some issues when the local GM dealership garage and mechanics could not isolate and trouble shoot my issues. As I report yet another issue today I received a recall notice about the ignition today.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jun 152007

Impala 6-cyl

I had just purchased this car in January of 2007 and I had noticed the transmission having issues when shifting gears. I first noticed this issue when backing out of my driveway and pulling the car into gear (drive) there would be a hesitation and a "clunk" noise. I was not sure what the issue was at first so I waited until it happened again and called the local Chevy dealer to inspect it, as it was under warranty. The mechanic could not replicate the problem and told me there was no issue. The transmission had continued to have issues over the past 6-7 years. I also had the transmission act up when I would be driving in town from a stop up to highway speeds. At a full stop the car would hesitate to shift into gear almost causing multiple accidents. Many times I would need to down shift to first gear and up shift in order to get my vehicle going. In the past three years I have personally almost been in about 12 or more potential accident situations because of the transmission issue. I have read in many online forums that this is a serious and known issue with the Chevy Impala transmission. This is an issue that needs to be researched and resolved with a recall campaign. From what I have researched online there is an issue with a module with the transmission. Please research this issue as I will be contacting GM as well over this faulty part/design of transmission.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Apr 012014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the drive shift gear would seize when maneuvering between gears. The independent mechanic was not able to be diagnosed the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000. Updated 10/03/14 the consumer was involved in an accident on June 5, 2014 where she crashed into a mailbox and trees. The consumer and her husband were hospitalized for 3 days. They received some broken bones, cuts, and scratches. Updated 7/20/2015

- Amherst, VA, USA

Dec 202012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle decreased in acceleration and the transmission shifted. In addition, the engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled after the accelerator pedal was applied. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 131,000. The VIN was not available.

- Fort Washignton, MD, USA

Apr 102014

Impala 8-cyl

While driving home from work traveling at a speed of 70 mph I suddenly received a notification of reduced power and to service my traction control had the problem diagnosed as a faulty engine control module still having this problem.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 172014

Impala 6-cyl

From the day I purchased this car I've had nothing but trouble out of it, about the second to third week of me driving this car I notice a slight slip as I would take off from a dead stop it felt like as if there were banana peals under the wheels as I would begin to take off at first it was slightly... now it will stutter vary badly then it will find the gear then take off!! from this occurring I've almost been in three accidents thank god that no cars hit me I've done numerous research on this car and everyone has the same problem transmission failure and the issues that I'm having seem like this is the beginning before the end, there's seriously needs to be a recall on the Chevrolet Impala transmissions everyone is having the same issue it's not safe and it's unfair to consumers I still can't believe that there hasn't been a recall on them, I hope no one has to die before it's noticed please do an investigation on this issue.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 142014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at 60 mph when all of a sudden the message reduced engine power appeared and my speed dropped down to 30 mph. It was rush hour traffic and I panicked. I tried pressing the gas pedal all the way down but my speed would not increase. The car behind me almost plowed into the rear end of my car but luckily there was space in the lane to the right for that car to quickly move over to avoid hitting me. They honked and I maneuvered to the shoulder of the highway and put my car in park. I restarted my car about 10 minutes later and got off the next exit so I could take side streets home since I was frightened my car would again suddenly lose power. I drove to auto zone and had the code ran and it was for the throttle position sensor and throttle body. After researching online I came across the edmunds forum where hundreds of GM owners had the exact same problem ! GM needs to recall and replace these inferior throttle body parts but I guess until there are fatalities it will go ignored "?"

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Apr 012013

Impala 6-cyl

At about 91000 miles my transmission started acting up (not shifting right, not going into any gear etc.) it finally would not shift at all unless I turned the car off multiple times and would then drive for about 2-5 minutes then all the gears would go out again. I had it towed to a transmission shop thinking it was just a censor and was told that my transmission would have to be replaced/repaired. It cost me almost $3000 to get it fixed. I have read on here and online that the 2006 Chevy Impala has had many issues with this. This is a very costly repair and wish there was a way to get at least a little refund on the cost. Also I have tried about everything to get the passenger side body side molding to stay on and people I have talked to state that they have had issues with that one staying on. It catches my door if I don't remember to push it in before opening the door. It is going to cost me $50.79 plus shipping to get a new one of these as well. The third thing I have wrong is I have had to replace both wheel bearings in the front end because of my ABS traction control sensor being messed up!

- Mineral Wells, WV, USA

Apr 182014

Impala 8-cyl

Traffic light turned green, attempted to accelerate, no forward movement. The rpms would go up, but the car would not move in any gear including reverse. Called onstar and they informed me that the transmission had failed. This is a '06 Chevrolet Impala ss with 72,000 miles driven. I had to pay for a 3K transmission to replaced the failed one. I was informed after the failure that this is an extremely common problem with the Chevy LS4 engine and this transmission. GM is well aware of these transmission failures, but refuses to recall them.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jul 162013

Impala 6-cyl

2006 Impala revs really high for a few seconds and jerks into motion when I take off from a stop. It happens a couple times a week and has since I got it with around 70K miles. It sounds like a common occurrence and would like to know if there is a recall in order.. the dealer says they'd have to replicate what it's doing but I'd be out of pocket for a rental until/if they were able to replicate the problem before the warranty company decides "if" they'll cover it.

- Parkville, MO, USA

Jan 202014

After leaving work I started up my car, then put the gear into drive. I could not turn the steering wheel. I had to use alot of force just to turn it. Ever since then I've been having problems with my steering.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 292013

Engine light came on, "reduced traction control" light came on, power was drastically reduced and then "reduced engine power" light came on. Car has a problem that needs to be addressed, but cutting off power and acceleration while I'm making a turn with oncoming traffic or driving 70+ mph is not a safe way of addressing that problem. I can turn off the car and regain power. Nearly any other way of addressing the code would be infinitely better than killing power while driving. It is not safe.

- North Liberty, IA, USA

Nov 162013

I just got off the highway and attempted to go through an intersection, when I tried the transmission only revved up, the car did not pick up speed (very close to becoming an accident). After that the person behind me almost got hit by me because I was on a hill and my car wouldn't move.

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Oct 102013

Was driving in to work. Stopped at mcdonald's and noticed car smoking. Drove across the street to my job to my dash board lighting up warning me to shut the engine off because the car was overheating. I did exactly that (shut the car off) and went inside to call for help. This is the 3rd problem that I have had with this car and I have had the car almost 4 years. Like many other complaints, my heat doesn't work properly, I'm going through oil like crazy, and I seem to be having transmission issues as it hard to get the car out of park and into drive and when it does finally go, I get whiplash from the jerk. GM needs to step up before someone is severely hurt.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 172009

Impala 6-cyl

My 2006 Chevy Impala will not turn on. I replaced the battery and starter with the same results. Starter relay is also good. I have researched this problem on the web and to my horror, this is a common problem with this vehicle, with very high dollar possible solutions that may not work. Every time I bring in this vehicle I am charged 100 dollars for them to say what is wrong and when they (supposedly) fix it ( or say it did not do it with them and its all in my head and your doing something wrong to it), it does it again. The charging system is ok but there is no power at all thruout the car but if you wait a couple of hours it will show lights but it will not even crank and then go completely dead. This same problem has happened from every other customer who has had this problem and cost them plenty of money without a solution. I have researched youtube, yahoo answers, fixit, etc... and this is what all these other numerous customers are saying even when they went to the Chevy certified mechanics throuout the country. I do not have the resources to keep paying for diagnosis and numerous possible fixes that does not remedy the problem. Bringing the vehicle to a Chevy dealer for them to charge me an arm and a leg to not fix the problem ( and no they will not give you a refund for not fixing the problem that they charge a 100 dollars upfront to diagnose). This is not the only problem, the transmission slams into gear especially when you come from a start or after you back up and drive forward. This is not normal but Chevy will say it us. I take pride in keeping my car running so I know it is not from neglect or abuse this is simply an ongoing problem that these Chevy vehicles have because I M seeing this exact same problem on their other models throughout multiple year spectrum. This is ridiculous!!! all these consumers across the country are not wrong.

- Harker Heights, TX, USA

May 012013

Impala 8-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated the transmission was slipping. She explained to the dealer, there was a recurring problem with the transmission. Each time, the consumer went to the dealer, she was informed they could not recreate the problem, and therefore no problem existed. Besides the transmission problem, there was a horrible ratcheting machine-gun type noise coming from behind the dash, when she changed the vent position. The loud noise lasted for about a minute and was almost ear-piercing. Also, the engine mount broke, the water pump, steering and tie rods failed, the engine burned excessive amount of oil, and the engine low oil light illuminated. The windows made a screeching sound, the sunroof would drag, the plastic headlight covered were fogged and faded. The tire pressure monitoring light was constantly on. On April 24, 2013. The consumer took the vehicle to an independent transmission shop to have them assess the same transmission slipping problem, she had been experiencing for seven years. They dropped the transmission pan, and they found fine metal, pieces of aluminum and clutch material in the pan.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Purchased the 2006 Chevy Impala 3.9L with about 30,000 miles. At around 60,000 miles I started to notice the transmission slip, maybe happened once every 20 trips. At around 70,000 miles it started happening more frequently, once or twice a week. Had the car looked at by a mechanic and was told no issue was found. Now at 75,000 miles and it happens multiple times almost every trip I take with my car. It occurs after shifting from park into drive then pulling off or when pulling off from a red light or stop sign. Engine revs, car hesitates for 2-4 seconds then slips real hard into gear. I have read in numerous forums that GM tech say this is normal behavior for this transmission, and numerous people having their transmissions replaced only to have this issue recur. This issue almost resulted in crash once when entering a 40mph zone from a stop sign, as after stopping and taking my foot off the brake and applying the gas, the vehicle began rolling onto the 40mph zone and encountered a 6-7 second delay before slipping into gear and accelerating, causing the approaching vehicle to have to apply its brake abruptly to prevent a collision. At this point the slipping is becoming a real issue as I now have a toddler in my vehicle and do not want to risk any neck or other injuries due to the jerking of the vehicle when it slips into gear.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 162013

Impala 8-cyl

I had just started driving to work around 8:00 am. Got about 3 miles down the road and had got stopped at a traffic light. When the light turned green and I went to accelerate I felt a hard jerk from the vehicle as the RPM's went up and the vehicle went nowhere. After reading reviews and issues with these vehicles it looks like the transmission is starting to go. There needs to be a recall considering the fact that GM knows of the issue tsb# 07-07-30-012C.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Mar 082013

Impala 6-cyl

When stepping on the gas hard from a stop it takes time for something to catch then it jerks and goes, when speeding up when driving, it jerks real hard when it shifts. Bad transmission. Leaks oil, headlights come on in the middle of the night, drains the battery. This car is a P.O.S.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Dec 012012

Seems like a chemical smell like exhaust is coming into the car. Makes you cough. You cant see any smoke. Wondering if the exhaust system has too much back pressure causing extra exhaust to come in the fresh air intake. The same effect on a rental 2012 Impala which has the same design, that car had only 16,000 miles. Seems worse when the outside air is on, not so much when the recirculation is on.

- Mesa, AZ, USA