CarComplaints.com Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 302016

Impala

Transmission failure number 3. cars current milage is 129,537. 2006 Impala ss 5.3 litre LS4. Transmission failed at 54K miles, 96K miles, and again now at just short of 130K miles. This is bull sh*t and GM refuses to do anything about it. There's thousands of posts online about the Impala ss/Grand Prix gxp from 2006-2009 with the LS4 5.3 V8 and 4T65E-hd transmission combo. The oem horse power of the engine is 303 sae hp. The 3T65E transmission is only rated for 260 hp. Thousands of failures and people stranded across the us with these cars. When will someone do something about it?

Apr 032014

Impala

Transmission slipping in and out while in overdrive. 2nd transmission replacement on this vehicle in less than 100,000 miles.

Oct 302016

Impala

Transmission failure lost 4th gear overdrive while cruising on the highway. Vehicles rpms rev like car is in neutral. Causing me to stop on the shoulder of the interstate with passing traffic at 75 mph.

Jul 252016

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift out of park without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure, but greasef the shift cable as a temporary remedy. The remedy failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- 2090 Skyline Dr, PA, USA

Jun 282016

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While in the park position, the vehicle independently rolled away and crashed into the garage door and side of the contact's house. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 122,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

May 022016

Impala

Slipping from dead stop to acceleration. Then it jerks forward does this couple times a month.

- Frankfort, IN, USA

Apr 062016

Impala

I was driving my 2006 Impala car as a daily driving car. Drove great, no shifting issues or transmission slipping. Then all of a sudden I started the car up one morning and car did not move. It feels like the transmission is engaging, but doesn't move. Iit acts like car is not in any drive gear even after putting car into a gear, like reverse or drive.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Feb 122016

Impala

Driving at 70 mph on interstate and engine slowed down suddenly, ,,reduced engine power message came

- Dyersburg, TN, USA

Jan 202015

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the transmission was slipping and caused the vehicle to stall without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 062015

Impala

I was driving my vehicle when it suddenly cut off with an "engine power reduced" sign and the car ultimately shut off completely. The car would not come back on. It had to be towed home and then towed to a Chevy dealership in frankfort, il. The Chevy dealership could not depict the problem and held my car for almost two weeks. The dealership said that it may be something intermittent but failed to fix the issue. The dealership released my car to me and the engine power reduced returned the next day. The car is currently out of commission.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 202015

Impala

The transmission on my 2006 Chevrolet Impala skips, it started skipping at 130,000 miles. It is a safety hazard when I am stopped at a intersection and the light turns green I press the gas and the engine takes a few seconds to react, it has happen to me several times and has caused me to get in several close collisions. Also when I start the car and try to back up from my car space the same thing happens I press the gas to back up the engine takes a few seconds to catch and then dangerously jerks in reverse

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Mar 182015

Impala

As I was driving on the expressway car slowed down only driving 5 mph... leaving me stranded on the side on the expressway. I just put a engine in the car so I know thats not the problem I always had the transmission worked on in the past.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 172015

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While depressing the accelerator pedal from a stop, the vehicle jerked and lost power before moving forward. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 042013

Impala

While driving home from work received engine reduce power and service traction control light. I was on the freeway going 65mph when this message came on and lost power to my car. I was nearly hit by cars behind me. Apparently my throttle body was at fault. About a year later had the exact same thing happen while coming home from work. Throttle went bad and was nearly struck by traffic again. Google Chevy Impala throttle body and you will see all the problems. Not sure how this has not been recalled yet. When I took the vehicle in for service I was told that they do at least 3-4 of these a week. How is this allowed to be put on cars when at any random point this could quit. They said it has an issue related to oil corroding the wires which would also explain why I go through 3-4 qts of oil every 3,000 miles. The oil does not drip anywhere but GM said this was standard and common.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Feb 052015

Impala 8-cyl

Was driving and car just lost power and cut off. Started back up and couldn't go over 5mph.

- Vadnais Hts , MN, USA

Dec 202011

Impala

In Dec 2011/transmission failed at 88900 miles on my Impala that I purchased brand new, car was out of warranty, I paid half and GM paid half, to rebuild transmission- so I thought, Nov 2013- 25000 miles later, trans started to fail again, I called GM, opened another case, no results or response, once again, Dec 2014, I contacted GM again, transmission gone in car approx. 30,000 miles later, from when they initially rebuilt the trans, and the dealer now wants 2200 to put a trans in the car, I paid almost 2000 before in Dec.2011/jan2012 for that trans to be rebuilt, here it is 30000 mile later and the trans is going...they should have re-called the transmissions in that car, because everyone has same horror story about the 2006/2007/2008's transmissions/ I have 3 separate case #'s with GM, regarding that trans on my car. I also own a 2013 Malibu, so the 2006 Impala had not been driven enough for the trans to be gone on it again.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Dec 122014

Impala 6-cyl

My gear shifter locked in the park mode after engine would start unable to shift into drive.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Sep 232009

Impala 8-cyl

I purchased my 2006 Impala ss brand new in 2006. I've been a loyal GM customer my whole life. At 99,000 started experiencing transmission issues, slipping, and hard shifting... at 101,000 miles I was driving down the highway and my transmission stopped working. I refinanced my car to rebuild the transmission for $2,200. After the rebuild transmission was working ok. Then at 122,000 miles it stopped working again... it was snowing and I was stranded in the turn lane of a road with a speed limit of 55mph... I turned off my car let the engine cool down and back on at least 20 times... my car moved about 200 feet each time... an hour later I got back to my house that was 5miles from the failure. I cant afford to fix it now and I am still paying for the car. Its been sitting in my yard for 10 months. This issue is very dangerous and needs to be resolved. I also received a recall for my power steering hose, got it fixed and the brackets came loose from my frame causing my steering to get very hard. I pulled over and checked my power steering fluid at walmart and it was empty. I filled it and everything was working. The next morning I had no power steering again... my hose had rubbed on my frame making a hole. I went to the store and bought more power steering fluid but after I put it in my steering was making a loud sound and didn't turn well. I think it was damaged due to the leak. I too have a loud clicking sound coming from my dashboard when I turn on my car. I was told by the dealership it was the vent flap motor... $750 dollars to repair... part is only $65 the rest is labor... also when I first bought my car I had to get all 4door windows replaced (under warranty) due to improper window guide adjustment. And my automatic trunk release works off and on, my keyless entry only works 5 feet from my car with new batteries, and all tire pressure sens. Went bad$100 each help.

- Dinwiddie, VA, USA

Feb 032014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the key failed to remain in the ignition. Once the vehicle was started, the transmission failed to switch gears. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who stated that the ignition failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Sep 122014

Impala 6-cyl

First of all, I use my car to travel back and forth from school. I have noticed since I came home, stopping at stop lights, my car would cut off and then cut back on. Also, my radio has changed stations by itself. Then, my check engine light has been on. When I turn on my air or heat a knocking noise comes from my air vents and it last for about 5 minutes, I actually thought my car was about to blow up because I was not sure what was causing that. I hope this problem is resolved quickly.

- Maywood , IL, USA