Print this page Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 082014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the engine power reduce light and the check engine light illuminated as the vehicle slowed down independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Dec 112013

Impala 6-cyl

Driving on freeway when a reduced engine power light came on and the car shut off, luckily I was able to pull aside from big trucks, otherwise I would be struck by. No codes and no one knows what the problem is. As far as I know this is a major incident that someone can get hurt or loses life. I went online thru edmunds and saw a lots of complains about the same problem, but when I called the dealer they said nothing about a recall !! been a Chevy customer for a long time. I just can't believe it. Something or someone got to do something about this problem, please !!!

- Hyde Park, NY, USA

Dec 022013

When driving down the road the car will start to slowing down and chugging then say engine power is being reduced and it will barley drive from there. The car can be going at any speed and be doing this. This is very dangerous driving and all the sudden your car chugs to almost nothing and their are several complaints about this problem in GM forum of complaints.

- Hillsdale, MI, USA

Dec 072012

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving through a intersection and my car stalled and a person coming from opposite direction ran the light and I was unable to move because my call stalled and then a few section it pulled off.this is very dangerous and I know you guys see all these complaints. I don't understand why you guys are ignoring this issue are just waiting for a pretty bad accident to occur I hope not because we have enough problems through out this world no money, children and elderly getting murdered, and the fact the we try to do better to get better its been coming harder but, I know god has a plan to heal this world. So, I would like to be reimburse cause I failed the emission test and would like to be compensate for that as well also to get that removed off my emission file that I failed out of all the cars never failed a test before and I don't want that on my record. Thank

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 012013

Impala 6-cyl

Well for a month I been geting power reduce ingine on the dash bourd I got my husband to check it out and he cant belive what he saw did some reseach on line and look like this is a command problem so he bought the throttle body and no luck so then bought the pedal possion sensor hope GM can reimburse all the people that have this problem.I spent already close to $500 and am still working on the car please not cool that GM is ignoring the situation it look look there aware of it....

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 072013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving the reduced engine power light came on while driving on expressway. Since then it comes on more frequent. Causing car to accelerate very slow, and in some cases stalling. Nearly causing an accident. Vehicle is not safe. Several service bulletins but only 1 recall. I will never buy a GM product again. I have owned several GM vehicles.

- Flint, MI, USA

Dec 212012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while completing a left turn, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and the contact lost control and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was towed to a local body shop but was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 82,000.

- Brockton , MA, USA

Feb 062012

Impala 8-cyl

I purchased a 2006 Impala ss, just recently after reaching 60,000 miles my transmission started slipping in 4th gear and overdrive at highway speeds. A short 300 miles later the transmission failed completely while driving home from work on the interstate. I had the car towed to a local transmission shop where I was told it either needed to be rebuilt or replaced. I had it rebuilt for $2442 all out of my own pocket because my powertrain warranty had already expired. Now a mere 3 months later and now currently at 69,200 miles the new transmission is showing the same exact symptoms it had when it failed the first time. Again with no warranty and repair costs over 2000 dollars I will soon be forced to replace the transmission again. Not to mention rental car costs and the inconvenience of having this happen twice within a year and 10,000 miles apart. Other recent issues include a check engine light on for a cylinder 6 misfire due to an oil fouled spark plug and burning or using a full quart of oil every 1000 miles I'm sure major engine repairs are soon to come. It almost makes me sick to my stomach knowing I still have 4 more years to pay on this vehicle and all of these problems under 70,000 miles majority of which are highway driven. Needless to say this will be the last GM vehicle I ever own.

- Becker, MN, USA

Jan 012010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the vehicle would abnormally accelerate when traveling at any speed, making it hard for the contact to maintain control of the vehicle. The dealer changed the transmission fluid but to no avail. The vehicle was then taken to a local repair shop where the gear shifter wiring harness was replaced. The failure persisted. The manufacturer had not yet been contacted. The failure mileage was 54,000 and the current mileage was 57,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 142009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. Whenever the contact drove the vehicle at various speeds including 35 mph he noticed that the service engine light and tire traction control light appeared on the dashboard, moments later, the contact noticed that the vehicle began accelerating on its own. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who informed the contact that the accelerator panel assembly needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 74799.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Aug 272008

I'm a faithful customer of S&J since childhood and my mother purchased her vehicles there. Up to this point I thought I could trust your service department to do honest work on my 2006 Chevy Impala. Indeed this did not happen! my vehicle has returned about 8 times for same or similar problem. Fernado is a great customer attendant, but he does not work on my car, so what I feel is not directed towards him. Here is a list of chain of events that I have inquired since ownership of my "new-used" Chevy in Feb. 2007. I have a new Chevy Impala. Within a year of ownership, the car has been to the dealer 8 times for major repairs (none due to my own fault)!

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 122006

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The vehicle lunges forward approximately ten feet after pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal. The failure also occurred while driving 5 mph in reverse. The dealer took the vehicle to a sales dealer and was informed that this was a normal occurrence. Most recently, the service advisor and manager drove the vehicle and experienced the failure; however, they could not determine the cause. The current mileage was 7,000 and failure mileage was 10. Updated 01-10-08. Updated 01/09/08

- Eugene, OR, USA

Nov 152006

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 10 mph or stopped at a stop sign, the vehicle lunges forward 10 to 15 feet by itself. The failure occurs whenever the vehicle is driven. The vehicle performs the same way when in reverse. For the past two months, the service department at the dealer has had the vehicle. All of the service department personnel agreed that the vehicle lunges forward abnormally, but stated that nothing could be done. The current mileage was 7,000 and failure mileage was 1,000. Updated 01-10-08. The consumer stated overhead dome light stayed on, transmission hesitates and bumps on 1-2 shift, and A/C blows warm intermittently. Updated 01/04/07

- Eugene, OR, USA

Dec 042006

Speedometer stopped working.

- Liberty, NC, USA

May 102006

Impala 6-cyl

Car speeds up with no cruise control when I the hit brake it goes back to normal speed. It is an intermittent problem. Car wants to stop at stop signs must step on gas to keep running. Driving along car sometimes feel like its not getting gas and shakes and misses. Air condition works sometimes blows cold then goes to hot air. I think this is unsafe. Dealer can't find problems Chevy won't do anything about it. This is a 2006 chev Impala with 3.9 V6 engine 8400 miles on it. We bought car in May 2006 and problems started right away.

- Corona, CA, USA