CarComplaints.com Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 212016

Impala

Check air bag randomly comes on and shuts off. Some times I think its related to keys if I remove the weight of keys but not sure.

- Maplewood, MN, USA

Nov 102015

Impala

Well today light came on service airbag.

- Yazoo, MS, USA

Oct 022015

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 65 mph attempting to avoid a deer, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a guardrail. The seat belts failed to latch and the engine failed to disengage after the crash. The air bags did not deploy. Prior to the failure, no warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle had to be towed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 136,000.

- Reedsville, OH, USA

Jul 222015

Impala

At start up of my car the driver side airbag would say service required, but it would go away when we buckled up. When in a week it started to stay on. It no longer goes away. Also now Y when I shut off my car the radio will stay on even when you open the drivers side door and lock it. I have to manually shut it off.

- Washington, MI, USA

Jun 252015

Impala

I was driving North on route 24 - dixie highway - South of davisburg road / North of I-75 (oakland country, mi) at 6pm on Thursday June 25, 2015. There was a Chevy Impala driving South in the northbound lane (I.e. he was heading the wrong way). I avoided him by swerving but he collided with a Ford Explorer heading North. The collision was nominally a head on, offset towards the driver's side. The Impala was fairly new, afterwards I checked pictures on the web and I'm pretty confident it was a my 2006-2012 model. The Explorer was fairly new as well. I was one of the first people to arrive at the scene of the accident. The Impala driver wasn't wearing his seat belt and was unconscious laying across the front seats when I arrived. The windshield was cracked where his head had struck it. The horn was sounding and it looked like fuel had been spilled. I wanted to makes sure the car was off to prevent a fire so I removed the keys from the ignition. The horn continued to sound. It was eventually stopped when someone disconnected the cables from the battery. None of the airbags in the Impala had been deployed. There was a knowledgeable volunteer near by who told us not to touch the driver because he may have spinal injuries. I spent the next thirty minutes at the scene and provided a written statement to the police. Based upon the way the body was handled, I am assuming the driver of the Impala was killed by the impact. I am surprised that there was enough force in the impact to kill the driver (I assume) but not enough to deploy the airbags. The driver in the Explorer was injured but her injuries didn't look especially serious and her airbags deployed. I believe the Impala should be investigated / inspected by a trained professional to establish the root cause on why the airbag didn't deploy.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Apr 192015

Impala

The contact owned a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph in very light rain when the vehicle exhibited an abnormal clicking noise four times successively. The front end of the vehicle then seemed to drop to the ground causing the steering wheel to seize, the traction control warning light to flash and the brakes to become inoperable. The contact also stated that the air bag erroneously deployed and knocked her unconscious. The vehicle then traveled off the roadway, into a woody area and crashed into a tree. The contact was awoken by the screams of her small children, who were sitting in the rear of the vehicle. Two child passengers were injured and suffered lacerations to the face, contusions of the shoulders, face, head injuries and a concussion. The contact sustained a sprained neck, fractured spine, and a concussion, clotting in the skull, a chest wall contusion and lacerations to the legs. All three passengers required medical attention. The contact and all passengers were able to exit the vehicle without further injuries. A police report was filed of the incident, and the vehicle was towed from the scene. The contact was advised that the transmission and the motor had both fallen out of the vehicle prior to the crash and were still in the roadway. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of a recall on the ignition switch one week after the crash occurred (NHTSA campaign id number: 14V355000 - electrical). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 186,000.

- Lexington, GA, USA

Feb 222015

Impala

The contact owned a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving on icy road conditions, the vehicle suddenly slipped and crashed. The details of the crash were unknown. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained cuts and bruises on the hands and arms that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Poland, OH, USA

Dec 242014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 220,000.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Nov 062014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,150.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 132012

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 35 mph, the front end of the contact's vehicle crashed into the side of a second vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the seat belts malfunctioned, which caused the driver's head to impact the front windshield. The contact suffered a concussion and a headache that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Sep 212014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and caused another vehicle to crash into the front driver side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the air bag warning indicator illuminated. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Griffin , GA, USA

May 012014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph attempting to engage the brakes, the vehicle failed to respond causing the contact to crash into a guard rail. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle had not been repaired. The vehicle was included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 214,000.

- Cawood, KY, USA

Aug 182014

Impala 6-cyl

I've received a letter stating my vehicle is involved in GM recall 14299, thanks for the update, but parts are not currently available"! the letter repeats how the repairs will be performed for me at no charge... whoopie its your mistake I should not even have to worry about this type of thing. And so what you repair what you didnt get right in the first place, what about the gas I have to put in to drive over 50 miles away to get to a GM dealer? what about the days I miss from work and/or my college classes? oh you're sorry for my inconvenience? what good does your sorry do for me? I work full time, go to college full time and I run my own household I dont have the time or money to drive that far to sit around a garage for an hour or more for it to get fixed. Not to mention the stress I endure while im driving in what I thought was a reliable family car, now I am merely waiting for it to go off the road unintentionally move the key away from the run position and lose my engine power, power steering, power braking and the air bags not deploying increasing my risk of injury or fatality"! now I am supposed to just rest easy and wait for my fatality to possibly occur at any moment while im driving my car that I pay good money for while you figure out when you'll be able to send me a letter which could take months and then set me up an appointment that doesnt interfere with my schedule which is highly unlikely and could also take months. So until then I am to just drive my death trap and wait for the next letter to arrive. I've never bought anything but a Chevrolet but with this incident im not sure I'll ever buy one again. Something should be done. I understand you make mistakes im not blaming you there but you should have to pay for your mistakes not me, a full time college/working student trying to make my while through college on what little I make.

- Enfield, IL, USA

Nov 202013

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, another vehicle crashed into the driver's side of the vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. In addition, the contact stated that the speedometer failed. A police report was filed and the contact sustained injuries. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 112014

Impala

As I'm approaching up the highway 1/2 mile from the car that is slowing down ahead I tried to press in my brakes but my car refused to stop I tried turning my while off it failed to turn. Basically I went straight in the back of the car. Its like the car jump as I approach the car ahead as if it reset itself then approach to turn after hitting the vehicle in front me it was a very scared site to experience. No airbag came out it was just me bracing myself against the seat holding on the wheel bracing hoping the car stops.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Apr 012014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle crashed head on into another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained lower and mid back injuries and bruising on left knee which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer had been notified of the issue. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 072013

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while stopped at a median, another vehicle that was driving approximately 55 mph crashed into the front passenger's side of the vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to a impound lot. An independent mechanic repaired the vehicle however, the contact stated that the horn and the drivers side headlight failed shortly afterward. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Greenwood , MS, USA

Mar 022012

Impala 6-cyl

The replacement sensor which is supposed to correct my problem, the message service airbag comes up on the dash beneath the steering wheel and the passenger airbag light indicates the air bag is off even with the passenger sitting in the seat, will cost me $992.50 to fix, just for a censor this seems more like a computer, not an itty bitty sensor. Sounds like an engineering design over-kill, $992.50 really, this is unreal for a sensor!!!! something is wrong here. It only takes 8/10ths of an hour to fix it. That is why I call it an engineering design over-kill!!! I can see a computer costing $992.50 to fix, but not a censor which only takes 8/10ths of an hour to fix.

- Lucedale, MS, USA

Dec 092011

Impala 6-cyl

The car struck a brick wall at about 45 miles and hour in the front drivers sideand the drivers airbag did not deploy. In which the driver suffered head trauma.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Sep 082011

Impala 6-cyl

There is a loud tapping noise when you turn the A/C temp knob or try and change the air flow. The noise sounds like it comes from the passenger airbag area. The noise started when we bought the car on March 16,2010 but it only sound when we would change the air flow button. But today on September 8,2011 it started to make a faster louder tapping in the same place but this time in addition to the air flow bottom now its triggered by the A/C temperature knob. The noise is embarrassing as we as annoying!

- Houston, TX, USA