CarComplaints.com Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Dec 302009

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, an unusual noise emitted from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and serviced under NHTSA campaign id number was 09E005000 (steering). Most recently, the failure recurred with a loss of power steering assist. The steering gear was replaced by the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 29,580. Updated 12-05-13 the consumer stated in 2009, the high pressure steering hose was replaced.

- Rockland, MA, USA

Oct 192012

Impala

I was getting off the expressway when I just all of a sudden feel a shaking coming from the steering wheel I noticed the service traction control was on so I pulled over that's when it shut down on me. I then got the wheel hubs and ball joints changed because I thought that was the problem but it was not so my mechanic reset the vehicle went off for a day then came back on.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 092013

Impala 6-cyl

Sometime in January of 2012, I received a noticed from General Motors about repairing and replacing the power steering hoses of my 2006 Chevy Impala. I took my Impala for repairs at a local Chevy dealer in April 2012. Prior to receiving the noticed about the repairs from General Motors, I kept hearing a buzzing sound. The buzzing sound stopped when I took the car in for steering hose repairs as suggested by General Motors. About two days ago, I started to hear the same buzzing sound. I called the dealer to inquire about the repairs. The dealer which made the repairs lied to me about making the repairs in November 2009. Chevy stated they would not make any repairs.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Aug 062013

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while turning the steering wheel it made a clanking sound. The contact also stated the vehicle was stuck in park and would not shift out park gear. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test who stated the intermediate shaft was defective and needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the intermediate shaft replaced. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

May 062013

Impala 6-cyl

My husband and me were on our way home from a funeral, when were about to turn into our subdivision the steering wheel barely turned and is now making a hideous noise. When I called one of our local dealership and advised them what happened, much to my surprise they told me it would cost me $100 dollars for a diagnostic test. When I gave her my VIN number she stated that it was not listed as one of the vehicles that had a recall. I don't know how they determine which cars are supposed to be considered a recall, but I do know it has the same issue as those recalled. I don't think I should have to pay for their failed product.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

May 012013

Impala 8-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated the transmission was slipping. She explained to the dealer, there was a recurring problem with the transmission. Each time, the consumer went to the dealer, she was informed they could not recreate the problem, and therefore no problem existed. Besides the transmission problem, there was a horrible ratcheting machine-gun type noise coming from behind the dash, when she changed the vent position. The loud noise lasted for about a minute and was almost ear-piercing. Also, the engine mount broke, the water pump, steering and tie rods failed, the engine burned excessive amount of oil, and the engine low oil light illuminated. The windows made a screeching sound, the sunroof would drag, the plastic headlight covered were fogged and faded. The tire pressure monitoring light was constantly on. On April 24, 2013. The consumer took the vehicle to an independent transmission shop to have them assess the same transmission slipping problem, she had been experiencing for seven years. They dropped the transmission pan, and they found fine metal, pieces of aluminum and clutch material in the pan.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Dec 012012

Impala 6-cyl

I did not have a accident had the recall fixed by gwantney chev., in jacksonville, Arkansas in June 2011 and December 2012 the vehicle is having the same problem power steering cooling line. Messed up.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Nov 012012

Impala 6-cyl

My 2006 Chevy Impala has thump noise in the steering any time I turn and sounds like it gonna fall apart its a hazard to be on the road. And the heater clicks wont work resulting in the windshield being fogged when im driving that's a hazard also. I called Chevy customer service did they help no take your vehicle to the dealer pay $ $100 maybe you will get it fixed free! haha forget it im selling the car its easier that's my story im very dissatisfied in Chevy. And any of this happens at anytime of the speed 0-75 mph.

- Washington, VA, USA

Jun 272011

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 5 mph into a parking space the contact heard a grinding noise in the steering wheel. The failure also occurred while driving between 15 and 20 mph while turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the steering rack and intermediate steering shaft had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 81,000.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Feb 082011

Impala 8-cyl

Service ABS and traction control lights come on and front wheel grabs while vehicle is moving.

- Farmington, AR, USA

Mar 012011

Impala 6-cyl

My 2006 Chevrolet Impala with 37000 miles on the odometer has had a cracking noise in the steering like you would get if there was a loose connection in the steering mechanism. It is noticed more at very slow speeds then at fast speed. It is also quite noticeable if you are just creeping along and tapping the brake pedal. This situation has been present for the last nine months. I have not had a dealer look at this problem. The car has not been in a accident during this time nor has there been an injury due to this problem. After reading other reports concerning the 2006 Impala steering. I strongly feel that recall should be in order.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Dec 022011

Impala 6-cyl

Consequence: A broken steering knuckle could result in loss of steering control and a possible crash without warning.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 162009

Impala 6-cyl

I have been hearing a clunking noise with my 2006 Impala around 21,000 miles. When I brought it to the Chevy dealer where I purchased the vehicle, they told me it was the rack and pinion system that needed to be changed. At this time the vehicle was four years old and no longer under warranty. I done some further research and spoke to a few other Impala owners and they had the same issue, and had the intermediate steering shaft replaced. I brought it to another Chevy dealer and self diagnosed the problem and they agreed with me. I had it changed with 28,000 miles on it. I contacted Chevy and asked how this part can fail with so few miles. They blame it on wear and tear and didn't want to give me any assistance with the repair. This has been an ongoing problem with many Impala and lumina lines for years, and should be covered under a recall.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 102010

Impala 6-cyl

I got my car March 2006 ran smooth for two years then problems started. First my driver side window fell. Next when I turn on my heat or a.C loud tapping sounds occur for about 5mins. Third when I turn my steering wheel to the left it make a popping sound. And the worst of all my transmission is slipping. Everyone I know with Chevy Impala are having some of the same problems. Something need to be done!!!!

- Friars Point, MS, USA

Jul 042011

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while making a left turn the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle also hesitated then surged forward, after the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and the manufacturer was contacted regarding the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 113,000 and the current mileage was 115,000.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Jun 042007

Impala

Currently I have 29103 miles on it.I had took it in shop 2 times complaining about problem w/steering, and was told this was normal.I knew different.now the warranty ran out the passenger side tie rod end was completely worn out, and the drivers side is bad also.I've contacted cheverolet and they said to take it to dealer and pay of course for them to tell me a third time probably that this is normal.I am scared of this car, but have no choice except to drive it.I beleive this car slip thru factury inspections. As also rotors was turn at about 4000 miles and again at 26000 miles.

- Rome, GA, USA

Jan 012011

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when she attempted to turn the steering wheel either to the left or right she heard an unusual popping and clicking noise, then it would violently jerk. The dealer advised that contact that it could be the steering shaft and she was awaiting a service appointment. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was approximately 87,000. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Greensburg, KY, USA

Apr 032011

Impala 8-cyl

Driving down the highway and the power steering fuel line broke. Power steering is currently inoperable. Currently researching a solution to the issue.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 112011

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact state that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 09E005000 (steering) and that the air bag warning light illuminated the day after the repairs. In addition, the contact stated that she continued to have issues with the steering. The contact spoke with the dealer and was told she would have to pay for a diagnostic to determine the exact failure. The contact believed that the manufacturer should be responsible for the repair costs and also stated that the steering continued to become tight and resistant when attempting a turn. The failure mileage was 74,000 and the current mileage was 80,000. Updated 06/01/11 the consumer stated the rack and pinion and power steering hose needed to replaced. The consumer stated GM offered to pay for the parts to replace the air bag, but not the labor. Updated evoq 07/12/11 updated 1/17/2012

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 312011

Impala 6-cyl

Power steering cooling line has ruptured 4 times. Repaired by recall and failed again 1 year later. GM refuses to repair or admit problem with system. 4" rubber hose continues to rupture.

- Lakeport, MI, USA