2006 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems: transmission slipping

Transmission Slipping

2006 Chevrolet Impala (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

7.0

$1,433.00

2. got the car fixed and it's still jerking (3 reports)
  3. replaced transmission (2 reports)
2006 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 252014

Impala LX

This car is a piece of crap. Wished I had never bought it. Chevy needs to fix these problem fast.

- , Englewood, Tennessee, USA

Jun 032013

Impala LS

When I bought my car it had 46,000 miles and ran good. It now has 76000 and every once in awhile jumps when taking off from at a stop sign. I'm thinking it's the transmission, not sure if it is, gonna be really pissed if it really is.

- , redford, Michigan, USA

Jul 012011

Impala LT 3.5L

I've had my 06 impala for 2 1/2 yrs and purchased it with apprx. 113,000 miles in Dec 09. I haven't had any problems out of my car until it reached around 165,000 miles. I've had the trans drained, flushed, and replaced due to a few hard slips. Also I've gone to numerous shops and dealerships only to hear the same story of either flushing the tranny again or replacing. Just recently in Dec 11' it's been slipping after coming to a complete stop. GM has to do a better job of taking care of the people that take care of them instead of just turning the other cheek. I know I don't have a factory warranty but why keep putting the same problem in new vehicles only to have the same result of a hassle. My family supports Chevy to the fullest whether it be collector cars or everyday commuters, but I will never purchase another chevy after this headache. But I guess the company wouldn't be making any money.......#NOTTHEHEARTBEATOFAMERICA...

- , Lithia Springs, GA, USA

Sep 072011

Impala LT 3.5L V6

So I have to drive at least 120 miles daily with my car, most of the portion is highway traveling around 80mph. My car on these drives tend to start shifting very rough when its going into second third and fourth. It sort of jumps into gear. I've had all my car friends tell me various different things it could be. My father persists on telling me my car needs a tune up. I am somewhat of a car guy myself, and driving for a few hours with the tranny acting up definitely irritates me beyond hell.

- , Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Aug 162011

Impala LS 3.5L

The transmission was slipping since I bought it in 2007. After having it repaired, they couldn't figure out the problem. It finally broke. I haven't paid off the car yet, but I have to pay so much to have it fixed.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 212011

Impala LT 3.5L V6

I'M SUPPOSED TO TAKE BACK THE CAR TO HAVE THEM REPAIR IT FOR FREE.

- , Buffalo, SC, USA

Jun 162010

Impala LT3 3.9L

Transmission was slipping from the time of purchase. I took the car to the dealer and they stated that they could not find any problems. Finally after it got really bad they did replace the transmission. It was out of warrenty, but they did cover it, because I had brought it in prior and they could not locate the problem. Water pump was replaced at the same time. It cost me about 300.00 to replace both (water pump and transmission) out of warrenty.

- , Roseville, MI, USA

Dec 152010

Impala SS 5.3L

I am a life long Chevy lover and i really like this car besides the fact i am still slower than an srt8 charger. My transmission problems are just the icing on the cake. It's been slipping for about a month now, I can't afford to fix the problem and I still have a year and a half more of payments to make....It really sucks! I love Chevy's but once I get done paying for this car and spending over $35,000 dollars in payments I feel like I have been robbed. I bought this car new and I have to say I wish I got an older model Chevy from back when they built quality cars. If Chevy doesn't step in and correct these problems there present customers have they are going to lose a lot if customers who love Chevy's but don't want to risk buying a new Chevy because the one they have sucks and they don't care....My whole family drives Chevy's and gm cars but we are not very happy with the present state of quality control and follow up for current owners who are still making payments on their cars.

- , Dinwiddie, VA, USA

Dec 202010

Impala SS V8

What I really want to know about is Daniel T and his car fire. Were there any symptoms before the car caught fire or did it just go from 0-5 quickly.

The transmission problem I mentioned is still in the resolution phase!

- , Bridgeport, CT, USA

Dec 142010

Impala LT 3.5L V6

I totally agree with the other consumers complaining about transmission problems. I now have to have the transmission rebuilt or purchase another one. My car started slipping and then jerking, lets not forget to mention that the transmission fluid was leaking from the transmission line. My mother told me to check into any recalls on the transmission because I shouldn't be experiencing problems this soon. Needless to say I replaced the transmission line and my car still isn't driveable. It still has a reverse and I can drive in 2 or 3rd drive. I haven't driven the car since it broke down. I believe GM should look into these complaints regarding transmission issues with the impalas. Transmission are not cheap and fyi my warranty has expired also. I purchased my car in 2009.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 082007

Impala LS 3.5L

I PURCHASED MY 2006 CHEVY IMPALA IN JUNE OF 06 AND IN AUGUST OF 07 MY TRANS STARTED SLIPPING FROM A STOPPED POSITION, WHEN I WOULD TRY TO LEAVE FROM PARK OR FROM A STOP SIGN OR A STOP LIGHT THE CAR WOULD JERK TO TAKE OFF, THERE WAS EVEN TIMES WHEN I HAD TO PICK UP SPEED TO PASS ANOTHER DRIVER MY TRANS WOULD SLIP LIKE IT WAS ON A BANANA PEEL OR SOMETHING, AT FIRST I THOUGHT MAYBE I WAS ON A PATCH OF OIL OR SOMETHING BUT NO, IT WAS THE TRANS. NOW THAT MY WARRANTY IS UP LIKE 8000 MILES AGO, I STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT THE LIGHT TURNED GREEN AND MY CAR WOULDN'T MOVE AT ALL ON DRIVE, ON FIRST, SECOND OR THIRD GEAR, I EVEN TRIED GOING IN REVERSE AND THE CAR WOULDN'T EVEN BUDGE. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE BUYING AN IMPALA.

- , River Rouge, MI, USA

Aug 012009

Impala LS V6

I have had my car for almost 3 years and I have had nothing but problems with it the water pump went out now the transmission is messed up when i put it in drive it dont go I have to start off in 2nd and work my way up to drive and back down to 2nd when i am slowing down. The ac or heater dont work. windsheild fluid dont work. I am now seeping power steering fluid and according to auto works i am now leaking oil and transmission fluid but i cant find a leak anywhere ........

GM lost my business and many of my family members this is a bunch of horse sh*t for all of this to happen on a 2006 car its not even 5 years old what gives

- , Woodbury, MN, USA

Sep 012008

Impala LT3 3.9L

This problem has been occurring for over a year, my transmission is slipping from a stop. I would be giving it gas and it will not move, then all of a sudden take off. Dealer took it in overnight, and of course cannot replicate the problem. Not sure of what to do now since my warranty is going to expire and I'm stuck with a time bomb. I hear there are some sort of service bulletin that has come out? Or should I just prepare for the inevitable which is that this thing is going to be costing me $3 grand in a year.

- , Boston, MA, USA

Nov 242009

Impala LT 3.9L V6

Had to take Impala in again for slipping transmission. Car would rev to about 4000 RPM and slam into second...slam into third.... and slam into fourth and all the way down. This time I took it to a different dealer who could not get me in that day. So, I took them for a test drive and left it with them to look at the next day. Again, the car was fine the next AM, but the computer had stored a couple codes which the dealer removed. They said it was a very strange code to receive with the 3.9L (but was fairly common with the 3.5L). They said it was working now so there was nothing they could do for me unless it happened a third time. I was very angry (not wanting to be stuck with the bill for this when warranty ran out) but there was nothing more I could do.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 082009

Impala LT 3.9L V6

What a royal pain. The transmission started slipping and was very unpleasant to drive. It would rev the engine to about 4000 RPM in first and slam into second....and third.... and fourth and would repeat the process downshifting when coming to a stop. I had just gotten off of work and took it to a dealer who was about to close. Just in case, I had the person at check in take a ride with me to show them what I was taking about. We barely made it out of the service drive when the problem became very clear. We drove around the building and parked it for the techs in the morning.

I received a call the very next day that the tech had taken it out and found nothing wrong. There was a stored code, but they cleared it and everything seems okay...come and pick it up.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 032010

Impala LTZ 3.9L V6

I took my car to a shop that I withhold from mentioning, but was told all of the problems with it. I can tell you that the shop is horrible on work ethics and values, but did help me to find a solution. The impala is an amazing car, but I just wish the D*** transmission would have lasted a little longer than it did. I have been a GM guy the entire time that I have owned a car. I just wish that they would make them the way they used to.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 092009

Impala LTZ V6

We bought a LTZ in the fall of 2005 brand new. Have really liked the car, but things keep happening that I'm to the point of thinking its a piece of junk. Brought it to replace a 2000 Tahoe that we brought new, and really liked, but the tranny went out at 120,000. For the price of a new tranny I thought we might as well downsize and get a new car. Every since we owned it, my wife drove it for the first few years as I had Silverados. She told me it would radomly act like the transmission slipped or jerked, usually when it was cold. I thought maybe it was due to slipping on ice, or wet pavement or even wet leaves. It happened infrequently. I sold my business and didn't need a truck anymore so bought her a new Toyota highlander and I started driving the LTZ. By the way, we LOVE the highlander. I really like the impala (been a gm man my whole life) but had the transmission slip thing happen to me several times also. Took it in and was told nothing shows on the computer. Now I've driven and worked on enough cars and trucks to know there was a problem, but all they would do was document it and say nothing was wrong. Then the power steering pump went out. They blamed it on a bad line and said it had been a problem with the impala. Had it fixed and it happened again. Took it back and they said the wrong line had been put on but still charged me. I also said the transmission had be slipping again and again they said nothing shows. Now the heater doesn't work, just blows cold air. Called them up and they said its probably the head gaskets leaking! This on a car thats 5 years old, been treated very well and has a little of 70,000 miles. Said it would probably be around $1700 to fix it but they'd have to look at it to make a estimate. Today, the computer said to stop engine immediately, overheated and I had just topped off the coolant.

I'm sorry, but I've had it with chevy, I'm selling this car before the transmission goes out and buying a Toyota or Honda, something I can at least get 100,000 miles out of without having to put in thousands of dollars in repairs.

- , Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Dec 142009

Impala LT V6

From a dead stop when you go to take off it slips periodically.

- , Richton Park, IL, USA

May 212007

Impala SS 3.2L V8

my husband told the dealer that the transmission was slipping in 2007 but they drove the car and did not hear the nosie. january 2008 transmission fluid leaking .Aug 2008 transmission fluid,gasket and filter was change.My husband have complaint about the transmission ever since 2007 no one would put it in the computer that we were complainting about it until oct 2008 when i demand them to put it in writing.The warrant was on the car then.The warrant went off the in March2009 and the transmission went bad Oct 2009 .

- , Gywnn Oak, MD, USA

Jul 072009

Impala SS 5.3L V8

So, I am the guy that started this with the #1 complaint below. I had the tranny replaced with a rebuilt model over a year ago under the GMPP (extended warranty). Guess what. The NEW one does the same thing! Clearly this is an engineering issue with the car. I even had it back and they did a ton of work on it, replaced several parts, saw many ground out parts, etc. I STILL have the problem. At this point I am convinced they cannot fix it and have just accepted that the tranny will slip on occasion....it's too bad because otherwise, I LOVE this car. Anyway, I have the warranty until $100K miles, so you can bet it will be going back in for a total rework before I hit that milestone...one last shot....

- , Hudson, NH, USA