2007 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Impala:

2007 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Feb 132010

Impala 6-cyl

Dear NHTSA, please investigate the following serious concerns that have affected my vehicle safety in addition to other Chevy Impala drivers: Vehicle: 2007 Chevy Impala. 65,000 miles, 1 owner, Impala ls 3.5 L V6 safety concern # 1- intermediate steering shaft - GM refuses to acknowledge the seriousness of this problem. My vehicle's steering wheel clicks during driving & temporarily jams causing a feeling of disconnection from the road. It has caused a momentary loss of steering control, and I feel this is a serious safety concern to be addressed. This is an ongoing design problem for many GM models(as per my google search), GM refuses to make corrections to the design nor issue a recall. --------------------------------- safety concern # 2- power steering pump- power steering pump loosing effectiveness & turning performance, meaning pump may be failing at any time. This too is another common problem with Chevy models. Please encourage GM to expand power steering pump recall to include Chevy Impala models. ---------------------------- safety concern # 3- rear back seat center seat belt looses tension when used in conjunction with infant car seat. When vehicle goes around 30 mile/hr turns or mild turns, seat belt locking mechanism(the one that holds the seat belt tense during braking) disengages & permits the seat belt to loosen causing child seat to move across the seat & or in one serious case with my son flip sideways(luckily my wife caught the seat as it tipped sideways). I have followed all safety instructions as per car seat manufacturer (evenflow aura travel system). This is a concern, since the tension only stays firm in abrupt stops, this leads me to question the safety in a roll over scenario. I have since used the seat level car seat hooks since the past few events( this greatly reduces the ease of sharing the car seat between vehicles). My other vehicle(Nissan Altima) has no such problem, the tension mechanism on the Altima remains firm

- Port Reading, NJ, USA

Mar 072010

Impala

Loss of power steering when vehicle travels through puddle. Note: This is a police squad car and this is the 2nd vehicle of this make, model and year that has performed the same way.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Oct 192009

Impala

Loss of power steering when vehicle travels through puddle of water.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Nov 012009

Impala

When pulling out of a parking lot, I felt a "clunk" and my car became very hard to steer. I contacted GM and they stated that there was no recall on my vehicle, but I could contact the dealer and he might be able to repair my vehicle. The vehicle had just passed the warranty mileage by 400 miles. I did contact the dealer's service manager and he stated that the steering column had broken at the weld. He repaired the vehicle at no charge..

- Forrest City, AR, USA

Feb 012010

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. During a routine maintenance appointment, the dealer told him that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. He previously noticed a knocking noise in the steering wheel after it was brought to his attention at the dealership. He had not spoken with the manufacturer to-date. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was approximately 51,320. The failure mileage was 51,283.

- Portsmouth, RI, USA

Jan 102010

Impala

My car is a 2007 Chevrolet Impala,4dr, white. I bought it new from a dealer in pickens SC, who went out of business soon after I bought it. I had no trouble with it until the incidence described herein. On January 10, 2010, I was going down rutherford road in greenville SC to the laurel baye healthcare home in greenville SC. I turned into the road to laurel baye from rutherford road. This is a sharp right turn into a road that goes uphill. Halfway through the turn my car's steering wheel locked completely. I could not turn my wheels at all. The car was running fine, and all other systems in the car worked, but my steering wheel could not be moved. I put on my brakes, which worked, and drove to the other side of the narrow road. I turned off the motor, and waited a few seconds. Then I turned my car back on. The wheels were still locked. At that time another car drove up, and the driver got out and tried to get my car wheels to move, with no success. In turn, a policeman, and my neighbor tried to make the car wheel turn, but no success. In the meantime my neighbor got the car to release the wheels, and I drove it home, and it appeared to be ok again. The next day I took the car to a Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac dealer in greer SC. I reported what had happened, and they said they would examine the car. The service man said they could find nothing wrong with the car. The next day I called and threatened to write letters of complaint. So they took the car again, and kept it for 11 days testing it, and still reported they could find nothing that had caused the wheels to lock. In the meantime I searched the internet and found many reports of GM cars with this same problem. There have been class action suits, and suits which have been settled by GM. Now I feel my car is unsafe to drive, and I feel uneasy driving it. I would like to report this incident and hope that GM will be forced into a recall of all affected vehicles.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Nov 222009

Impala

I hit a 6 inch curb at approximately 30 mph. When the car hit the curb the steering knuckle broke causing the left front tire assembly to come off the car rendering me in no control of the vehicle. I personally feel this broke too easy and should have been able to withstand the impact of a 6 inch curb. If the knuckle would not have broke I would have been able to stay in control of the car and not have caused as much damage that did occur from the tire coming off the vehicle. This situation could put people's lives in danger as such a small impact causes the wheel to come off taking control away from the driver.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 072009

Impala

Intermediate shaft in steering shaft failed. It caused a clunking or knocking feel and sound. Chevy dealer said it was a "chronic problem" with the Impala. Fixed under warranty. Otherwise it would have cost about $300. Also rotors in front warped prematurely. Another "known problem". power steering unit or serpentine belt squeals. Chevy dealer said it's" normal" ?

- Moon Township, PA, USA

Oct 312009

Impala

I own a 2007 Chevrolet Impala ls. For some reason, there is a clunk/knock in when I steer to the right. At times it has a tendency to lock up. Also, there is a strong vibration that occurs when I am doing 35 mph or faster. I do not feel safe.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Aug 012009

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala which was purchased in 2007. There was a noise in the steering shaft when she made right and left turns. During a routine oil change, the mechanic discovered that there was a default in the steering shaft and advised her that unless the vehicle was repaired immediately, the steering wheel would lock. The manufacturer was notified. NHTSA campaign id number: 09E005000 was for an after market steering shaft which was not applicable to her vehicle. No repairs had been made to date to correct the steering failure. The failure and current mileages were approximately 72,000.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Aug 012009

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Aug 112009

Impala

Intermediate steering shaft. You can feel & hear the clunking/vibration in the steering. I can only imagine that this will eventually result in a safety issue.

- Cudahy, WI, USA

Mar 272008

Impala

Intermediate steering shaft failure, again. First failure was at time of purchase, aprox 26,000 miles, steering shaft was replaced. Have been reporting to dealerships noises and unsafe steering concerns ever since then and nothing has been done. Now out of warranty at 46,000 miles, steering shaft again is needing replaced. Further information is available at www.certifiedlemon.com.

- Florence, AZ, USA

Apr 162008

Impala

When turning there's a clicking noise. Steering not so smooth, kind of rough I brought it to the dealership where I purchased the car. Dealer said that it wasn't a safety issue. An that not to worry, but the clicking still occurs. Just wanting know what action I need to take in order to resolve this problem.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Feb 282009

Impala

Power steering pump squeal and eventual failure, 1st report, could not find source, 2nd report, power steering R/R 3rd report, power steering R/R.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 232008

Impala

2007 Impala ls steering wheel shaft. First one replaced 3500 miles second at 9500 miles now at 15500 the third one needs to be replaced. Banging noise in front chasis, steering loose, wobble effect in front wheels. Unsafe issue that GMC Chevy div will not address just replaces. No one seems to care, not gov not dealer and not GM Chevy division. What can I do?

- Claymont, DE, USA

Nov 172008

Impala

Right after I hit 36,000 miles on my car, I started hearing a clunk sound from the steering wheel. I brought it into the dealership, and the gentleman told me it was probably the steering shaft. I asked if this was a common problem, and if it was covered under my extended warranty. I was told yes, it is a common problem, and no, its only covered under the 36000 mile warranty. Not the 50,000. I asked why this isn't covered seeing as its a part that should never go on your car, especially after only 36000 miles. His reply shocked me when he said that all the ones he's seen break before the 36,000! added onto this, my car remote just stopped working, as well as my tire monitor system is unable to be reset! basically after owning this car less than a year, I'm starting to feel that I have just bought a nice new lemon!

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Oct 012007

Impala

2007 Impala ls purchased May 31,2007, defective steering wheel shaft replaced at 4573 miles on Oct 1, 2007. Binding noise noted, clunking sound on bumps and turns left or right. Same conditions are appearing again June 16, 2008 at 9500 miles. No failure however suspect if ignored shaft could fail causing catastrophic failure of vehicle steering.

- Claymont, DE, USA

Sep 172007

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. While turning the vehicle at various speeds, the contact heard a loud clicking sound coming from the steering column. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the steering column. Four days later, the noise returned and the dealer replaced the tie rods. One month later, the noise occurred for the third time and the steering gear mechanism was replaced. The contact is currently experiencing the same failure for the fourth time. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of failure and repair the vehicle. She filed a complaint with the manufacturer. The purchase date was unknown. The failure mileage was 24,498 and current mileage was 26,691. The consumer stated after three repairs the problem still persists. Updated 11/14/07

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jun 252007

Impala 6-cyl

Heard a clunking nose under feet (driver's side), can feel clunking when holding steering wheel. Have had in 4 times now. 1st - replaced steering shaft, 2nd - replaced motor mounts, 3rd - couldn't find anything or duplicate problem...kept overnight, 4th - lubes steering shaft. Problem still not fixed!!!!!

- Harrison, MI, USA