2008 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 182013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. After the vehicle was shut off and parked, the contact restarted the vehicle but the shift lever failed to move from the park position. In addition, the engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure occurred twice. The dealer stated that the gear shift wiring was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 94,029. Updated 10/22/14 updated 4/7/2015

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Aug 172014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the gear shift was stuck in the park position and could not shift out of gear. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system), but could not confirm if the vehicle was included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Blair, SC, USA

Apr 302013

Impala 6-cyl

When I stop at a light or just come to a complete stop my car doesnt seem to want to go when I step on the gas. All of a sudden it shudders and jerks forward. Very dangerous when the roads are slippery! this happened just after the warranty expired, but I am guessing that it only had about 46,000 miles on the car. My dealer said I would have to pay for them to look at the car, could run into alot of money, or wait for the check engine light to come on. I have seen alot of complaints about this problem online in different Impala forums. GM said its out of warranty and basically not our problem. Also, all 4 of my tires were worn out on the inside after only 20,000 miles.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Jun 012012

Impala 6-cyl

After driving my car to the store I pulled up to park my car. After I came back to get into it the shifter would not disengage at all. I was stranded. I was told it was a common and well known issue with Chevrolet Impala models. After contacting GM they told me they were sorry and there is nothing they can do about it. I'm still waiting to see what tricks this car does next. I now believe it is poorly made and I will never own another one.. GM cant even make a cup holder round like a cup. Sorry I didn't see that before I bought it or might have an engineering clue. Also both my door locks on the drivers side consecutively stopped working and its not the fuses. There's 200 bucks to fix that I don't have and I have to shift my car by using a screwdriver and pushing the silver button under the console which releases the shifter. Thank god Chevy had back up for that engineering mistake because I don't have the money to fix that one either. Now I'm just guessing if my car should be on recall. GM told me on the phone I would just have to wait. Lesson learned never by a car just because U you like the body style! thanks

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jul 112014

Impala 6-cyl

When accelerating after a stop, transmission feels like it's slipping, the car does not want to move. After applying enough gas, the car will "brake loose" and lunge forward. This can definitely cause an accident.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 132013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into park and the key became lodged in the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the gear shifter cable was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Woodbridge, CT, USA

Mar 142013

Impala 6-cyl

Once my vehicle got near 80K miles, it began to randomly shut down on me as I drive. The message "engine power reduced, service throttle" comes on and I barely have time to pull out of harm's way before the car won't move. This has happened numerous times over the past year--most recently, three times while driving on the freeway and turnpike on Saturday June 28. Driving at 70mph and having my car suddenly lose power is beyond ridiculous. When my mechanic pulls the error code, it's just a general computer error every time. Nothing at all about the throttle has ever shown. Why is this not a recall when you search "Impala engine power reduced" and see there are a ton of people with the same issue" does someone have to die before this issue gets fixed"

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jun 012011

Impala 8-cyl

I was at a stop sign, when I went to pull onto the highway, the transmission slipped and hesitated! I took it to GM dealer and was told they could find no problem with it! it would actually have to go bad before they could do anything about it! now I have 68000 miles on it, and the problem happens daily! two days ago, when pulling on to the highway, it hesitated again, but this time there was a semi coming! luckily it finally took hold and I could proceed! I saw on the internet, that this is a common problem for this vehicle!! why, doesn't GM fix it?? also, I have had my car in for engine problems, they have removed the engine from the car, and "decarboned the cylinder"! now about 30000 miles later it has the same problem again!

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Jun 102014

Impala 6-cyl

Was driving on busy one lane road, reduced speed, check traction control, check engine light came on and car slowed down to 45 and would not go any faster, was able to pull off of road and shut car off started about 5 minutes later no indication of the problem. Two days later the problem came back. Went to internet to check problem seems like there have been 100,000 S of these problems many resulting in accidents. It does not show that there has been a recall. This is very serious if I would have been on a freeway with trucks traveling at high speed I could have been killed. What has the vehicle safety board done to protect owners of faulty vehicles?

- Shoshone, ID, USA

Mar 162014

Impala 6-cyl

Difficulty shifting into gear from park with vehicle started or off when depressing brake. Shift lever was locked and would not move. On 3/16/2014 it completely locked in park position. I called road service and they removed part of console cover and found wire had broken in wire harness (black) which controls release of gear shift while depressing brake pedal. They showed me how to depress release button for parking gear. I had to do this for 3 days manually till I could get a electrical shop repair the broken wire subsequent wire harness as they told me it was not feasible to replace just the black wire to the park gear release. It cost me $465 for repairs. I checked on line and found this has been a quite a problem with 2008 Chevy Impala's and is happened quite frequently. My question is why GM has not issued a bulletin due to this problem to correct it. To be stranded and in the dark is quite a frightening situation.

- Warren, MI, USA

May 022013

Impala 6-cyl

I had to replace lower control, and trans. Shift linkage I call to see if there was a recall GM said only on police models another time I had to have car towed to dealership to have trans. Linkage repaired.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Jun 042013

Impala

I own a 2008 Chevy Impala which has been having computer problems for 1 yr now. It reads out reduced engine power and the car wont go faster than 40 mph. Ive had it fixed but then comes right back up, one mechanic says to clean the throttle and another says its sensors. This is becoming quite a problem and nobody can fix it permanently. It is a serious saftey issue due to the fact that I Transport grandchildren around and the car looses power out of nowhere, then just shuts down in the middle of traffic. I cant keep paying all this money for it to just happen over and over with no results. When is this going to be on the recall list" I went online to find out there are alot of other people having the same exact issue. Please help me" I cant afford to keep paying for this when its never actually been fixed. I have no problem paying to have my car fixed but I do when I have to pay over and over again and its still not fixed.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Feb 262014

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls out. For example after sitting at a red light and then trying to accelerate the cars stalls and won't pick up speed, it then jerks hard and drive as usual.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 032011

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while accelerating from a complete stop, the vehicle jerked. In addition, the vehicle failed to shift from park and the ignition key failed to release. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and an authorized dealer who were both unable to locate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Apr 142014

Impala

TL- contact owns a 2008 chevey Impala lt. The failure occured April 2014. The contact was driving and you hit a pothole. The contact stated that they had to put on hazard lights on. The contact brakes failed after hitting the pothole, preventing her from stoping the vehicle. The contact stated the key ignition failed. The current millage is 109,000. The contact called the manufacture. There were no repairs made on the vehicle.

- Phil, PA, USA

Sep 012009

Impala 8-cyl Diesel

2008 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to transmission failure. The consumer stated the vehicle was purchased in Sept 2007, and in Sept 2009, the transmission had to be replaced. The vehicle was covered under 100% warranty and she was given a rental car. The transmission was replaced a for a second time, and lasted until March 2014. The consumer stated the transmission was replaced for a 3rd time and it hasn't even been 7 years. The consumer stated the vehicle would hesitate from a stop. The dealer also stated the vehicle needed engine mount and stabilizer links.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Apr 102013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated. The contact's traction control light immediately illuminated after the failure occurred. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic, who stated that the accelerator pedal and gear shift were both replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Des Moine, IA, USA

Mar 202014

Impala 6-cyl

While accelerating the car lost the ability to continue accelerating all at once which caused a jerking motion of the car causing me(the driver) to be thrown forward hitting my head on the steering wheel. It all happened very fast and the reduced engine power and traction control message appeared on the dash board and is still on the dash board. As I said it all happened very fast but I was able to brace myself slightly which is the only reason I was not seriously injured. This issue which now after speaking to my car mechanic and me seeing many other people having the same issue after doing some research online is a death sentence to someone. Someone is going to die from the car losing the ability to accelerate all at once along with a jerking motion that makes you want to have a foot on the gas and a foot on the brake to be able to stop should the car take off on it own.

- Woodlyn, PA, USA

Dec 082013

Impala 6-cyl

In June 2012 I had this problem error message read: "engine power reduced " as I was driving 55 mph on highway mph fell below to 40 I had to get off highway. I had this problem fixed so I thought it cost me about 360 dollars. Same exact recurring problem same error message today 12/09/13. This is ridiculous GM has to know this is not safe. Dealership will not repair again at their own expense. Too much money for me to continue paying over N over again. They need to recall this car it's outrageous! can someone please help us?!

- Kansas City, MO, USA