2008 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Aug 012013

This is the third time I had to fix this passlock thing on my Impala and im getting so sick and tired of

- Corona, CA, USA

May 062009

Impala 6-cyl

Door lock problems: First the driver door failed to work. Then the right passenger door..(which has to be manually opened and closed). Now the driver side passenger door lock is undependable. The problem is becoming a hazard to driving the automobile in that the safety of the ingress and egress of the passengers cannot be guaranteed and this can become a definite hazard, especially in times of an accident.

- Salem, IL, USA

Jul 022012

The power door locks work interrmittenly, both with the remote key fob and the interior door lock buttons often resulting in manually having to use the key to enter the vehicle or physically pulling up the lock once inside the car to unlock a particular door. This is not a battery issue for the remote as I've even noticed on several occasions when using the remote to unlock the driver's door, the door lock register the "input" and attempt to move up to the unlock position, physically look as if something were preventing it from doing so, and remain in the locked position. And, its completely random as for which door lock will operate and there are stretches of days when all locks will operate properly with both the remote and the door lock buttons. Also, there is no pattern to which doors will operate as to front/rear, driver/passenger side and/or one, two, three, four, or zero doors locking/unlocking. This situation is extremely inconvenient (particularly when raining), potentially unsafe, and problematic in keeping your vehicle and its contents secure.

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 082013

Impala 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that there was a popping noise coming from the air conditioner after it was turned on. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who diagnosed that the air conditioner actuator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. The current mileage was 89,000.

- Waggaman, LA, USA

Jul 132013

Impala 8-cyl

Rear window defrost stopped working. Replaced fuses and relay. Light comes on but defrost does not work. Investigation by owner showed wiring harness under front passenger kick panel burnt badly. Further investigation online indicates this has problem has been experienced by a large number of Impala owners. Due to the badly burn connection, passenger cabin fire could have occurred. Local Chevy dealer service department denied any knowledge of similar instances. Recommend investigation.

- Taft, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Impala 6-cyl

Both rear and the passenger door locks have stopped functioning with either fob key control or driver/passenger door controls. Totaling three door lock failures in two years. This is a large safety hazard to small children in the back of the car as there is no fast or easy way to open the rear doors once locked to get the child out in an emergency. I request this be looked into further for a recall as it creates a safety hazard especially for children in car seat on the back seat, which there is no quick way to unlock the doors to remove them in an emergency. Mechanic states: This is a known issue with 2008 and 2009 Chevy Impala vehicles. These model years were produced with a type of grease that bleeds into the latch actuator. After time the carbon from the motor brushes builds up around the actuator motor and shorts the communicator. Resulting in no power lock or unlock function. Requiring full lock replacement totaling over $1,500.

- Blue Springs, MT, USA

Jun 012012

Impala 6-cyl

Every time it rains, or even if the air has been damp overnight, my front in-door speakers fail. The front passenger side, in-door speaker is completely burnt out and the front passenger side door lock actuator has also failed. I called the local dealership who wants to charge me to repair this. There is water leaking into the doors causing electrical failures to occur. Once the inside of the doors dry, then the driver's side front door speaker begins to work again. The passenger side front door is completely dead but the window works.

- Garfield, NJ, USA

May 032013

Power door lock quit working on rear door on drivers side and then 3 weeks later the rear door on the passenger side quit working. This is a huge safety issue if you have small children and you think the doors are locked.

- Mahomet, IL, USA

Jun 152013

Car was just started, in parking lot, getting ready to drive and electrical system shutdown completely. Couldn't take key out, or restart, no lights, no electrical activity at all, but it had just been running. After several minutes, it all came back on and restart, and drove ok. There had been battery problems in the past, corrosion on terminal, which was repaired. The battery cable where the wire enters the positive terminal was not completely tight. The internet has reports from several people reporting this same event on Impala, of several different model years. Most of these though, it happened while they were driving down the road, and some reported accidents that resulted. Prior to all the modern electronics, if the engine was running and the alternator was working, the engine would never just shut down even if the battery connection was bad. This is a very dangerous situation, where the car can just shut off and the operator loses all power systems. No power steering, extremely difficult braking, and the possibility of the steering wheel locking (though the latter did not happen to us). When operating the car in hilly or mountainous roads, where there are steep drop offs on shoulder side, and semi-trucks coming in opposite direction, surely this has potential as deadly situation. Would like to see redundancy, if alternator is producing, don't shut down electrical system. Rather, just give warning. Also, be sure that no car would ever lock the steering wheel when electrical systems malfunction. I am afraid to have my wife drive the car until a new battery cable is installed.

- Seymour, TN, USA

May 312013

Impala 6-cyl

Out of nowhere my door lock actuators for all three passenger doors are not working neither is my trunk opening and to make it worse im sitting in my job parking lot with the A/C on waiting for my break to be over and all of a sudden my car starts blowing air from the outside inside the car and I looked at my dash and my temp level was rising to in between 1/2 and 3/4 got out check coolant was fine and everything else checked fine but now everytime I sit in my car with the engine running and my A/C on it only stays on for about 20 mins, then the A/C cut off, starts blowing hot air, and the A/C nor the recirculation will engage it blinks. And to make it worse I smell fuel on my oil dipstick and my car is drinking fuel like water someone please help me.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 112012

I currently drive a 2008 Chevy Impala, I've only had the car 1 1/2 and not even a year after I purchased it, I start experiencing the (tcs) traction control sensor - which alternatively reduce the speed of the engine; it happens sporadically, ... I took it to auto zone to have a diagnostic performed on the car, and they reader said it was due to a cylinder 5 misfire.... my car is a 6 cylinder, it is dangerous when driving on the highway as when the (tcs) does come on' the reduce engine speed is well under the highway speed limit. Other concerns that arise is that sense this sensor has been own, it' has accumulated other sensors' (ABS) (!) and the throttle pedal sensor. I have reached out to the GM to see if there was any recall on this, and was advise that nothing has been done. I think this is a huge danger, as this is a commonly used car in the U.S & if there has been several complaints thus far over the same issue, why hasn't anything been done to resolve the issue" what if you've worked hard to drive the vehicle you want;& have to pay out of cost; other than basic maintenance"

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 142013

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, a loud ticking sound was heard from the dashboard area. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that the actuator was defective and caused the battery to lose power. The contact did not have the actuator replaced. The failure mileage was 18,119.

- Portmouth, VA, USA

May 022013

Right rear door lock would operate intermittently at first and finally will not unlock at all with auto door lock or key fob. It is also starting to do the same thing on the left rear door lock so I know it will only be a matter of time before it will not unlock either.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Feb 242013

Impala 6-cyl

The right rear door lock works intermittently with my power door lock system on my 2008 Chevy Impala. Also the right front passenger door lock worked intermittently at first and now it does not respond. I have done some research online and I know I am not the only owner of a 2008 Chevrolet Impala with this problem. Pleas help. Is there any way a recall can be issued to get this issue fixed? it is impossible to unlock the right rear door from the outside with a key because there is no key hole. There is only one key hole on to unlock a door with the car key and it is on the driver side door only.

- Irving , TX, USA

Mar 142013

Impala 6-cyl

On March 14, 2013, we were accelerating from a complete stop when the service engine light came on and a message appeared in the message console that read "engine power reduced." It was difficult to get the vehicle to accelerate at first, but it then responded after a few seconds. The 'service engine" light stayed on. We took it to an automobile parts store so they could pull the code with a code reader. The vehicle parts store was able to pull a code reading P2138 which is for the throttle position sensor. Later on that night, I went online and did some research and discovered that there are many owners of 2008 Chevy Impala with the same problem. In the past year, there have been several occasions when my 2008 Chevy Impala tends to buckle and jerk or hesitate when accelerating from a complete stop making difficult to nearly impossible to navigate out of the way of traffic. Is there any way a recall can be issued for the throttle position sensor and the gas pedal so this issue can be resolve for all owners of 2008 Chevrolet Impala? please help.

- Irving , TX, USA

Mar 082013

Impala 6-cyl

Gear shift stuck in park position. Would not shift into any other position. Chevrolet mechanic found electrical problem and made following comments on the repair order. Found that shift lock control solenoid inop. Found that green wire melted about 12 inches from shifter and also connector for shift lock control had high resistance.. repair commented: Replaced connector and repaired wire working as designed at this time. Mechanic stated that this was not uncommon. Also found numerous internet forum comments about this problem.. very serious fire hazard. GM seems to be aware since above repair implies a reworking design of wire working.: evidence of burned wire inside a vehicle should be considered a serious fire hazard.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 132012

Impala 6-cyl

2008 Chevy Impala. Right rear door lock began working intermittently. Right front followed suit shortly afterwards. Now, some 5 months later, the driver door is behaving the same way. It makes transporting my children difficult and unsafe. If there were to be an accident, the children in the back seat are not likely to have the mental capacity to remember to unlock the door which could lead to further injury or death. Wiring harness in the center console is poorly designed and located in such a way that the wiring breaks and making it so electrical safety devices do not disengage thus not letting the key be removed, the vehicle not being able to shift from park, and other failures yet to be identified.

- Cleona, PA, USA

Mar 062013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway leading into an overpass. As L entered onto the overpass my service traction control, engine power reduced, and service throttle body disabled flash across my dash board, killing the power to my vehicle and locking my steering wheel. While I was stopped unable to move my vehicle, cars flew me and I was almost hit. At one point another vehicle was almost ran off the road due to oncoming traffic trying to Dodge me. This was the worst experience of my life. I have never feared for my life like I did at this time. After doing my research online, I have found many others have been in my situation. I was told that my accelerator pedal sensor has gone bad. I feel that GM should be held responsible and needs to remedy the situation before someone is killed.

- Garland,Tx, TX, USA

Jan 102013

Impala 6-cyl

Key gets stuck in ignition and will not turn to lock position. The battery runs down after sitting for awhile. I "googled" complaints of this happening and there were hundreds of complaints. The problem lies in the center console of automatic transmission cars. Chevrolet designed the wiring harness to drag across the floor while moving the shifter lever from gear to gear. This eventually causes the wires to break. Depending on which of the five wires break causes problems with the ignition switch (car won't start, transmission won't shift, steering wheel won't lock, key won't come out are some of the problems). As I stated there are hundreds of complaints and feel to issue a recall by Chevrolet would be inline.

- Alliance, NE, USA

Nov 012011

Impala 6-cyl

We are getting ready to have to replace our third set of tires. We bought our Impala new and replaced our first set of tires at Feb. 2010 (38,000 miles). Replaced again at 54,000 miles Dec. 2011. Replaced again at 65,000 Nov. Of 2012 and it is in need ot new rear tires again at 72,000. Car shakes and back end slides in bad weather. Service department states that it needs a cambor kit. Research has shown that Chevrolet produced a faulty suspension rod and recalled "police owned" vehicles but not consumer vehicles. Do not feel safe in vehicle or allowing my 16 year old to drive it. My car is aligned and tires rotated and serviced frequently! tires wear down to metal sticking out of tires and inner wear is incredible. Left tire behind the driver is the quickest to have problems and begin to cause car to shake. Secondly, rear door automatic door locks quite working after 2 years of owning car. How do I become part of the class action law suit.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA