2008 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Apr 042016

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. When the contact inserted the key into the ignition and attempted to start the vehicle, smoke emitted from the ignition. The contact attempted unsuccessfully to pull the key out. The contact exited the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. There was no fire. The contact stated that the VIN was recalled a year ago and the ignition switch was replaced. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- Beauty, KY, USA

Apr 152015

Impala

When changing temperature in vehicle, a loud clacking noise is heard for up to 2-3 minutes even if vehicle is turned off. Service air bag light and stablizer trac service light comes on. Oil leak under car. Only 55,000 miles. Can be heard 50 years away from car it is so loud. 2008 Chevrolet Impala

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 222016

Impala

I was left sitting on the side of the road. I was going 70 mph on I-94 when the "service traction control" light came on, followed by the "engine power reduced" light, then something about "disabling throttle" sensor... my car shut completely down, leaving me to coast across 4 lanes of traffic on interstate 94. I've owned this 2008 Impala for just about a year... I don't know what to do I received the letter about an extended recall back in December and I called GM because there's a stipulation of the amount of miles you can have on your car to have this problem repaired... because my car has 276000 miles GM told me there is nothing they can do, at that time I asked why this item wasn't recalled. I was told if I felt the problem called for a recall I should reach out to the national highway and safety commission. I don't even feel comfortable driving my car anymore... this is a death trap!

- Southfield, MI, USA

Mar 172016

Impala

While driving at about 20-25 mph, I noticed a internal fire coming from the fuse box on the passenger side of the car

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Feb 282016

Impala

I got a jump after the engine light came on. Took it to get ichecked they say its my ECM. What is that and is it related to that electrical recall. I was in park

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 142015

Impala

While driving my car my car stalled as if it was in neutral. I stopped and tried to put the car in park, but nothing happened. I tried reverse and the car wouldn't move. It crakes up but there are no shifting of gears. I had to replace my gas tank as well as my pedals for this car. Please help.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 082016

Impala

The air conditioning actuators goes bad to a point where a knocking noise will start to come from inside the dashboard. This eventually will kill the electrical system and cause the car to cut off completely, even while driving.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 012014

Impala

This vehicle has been recalled due to air bags, and in a year no one has been able to get the repairs done to the vehicle. But furthermore the car has several other mechanical issues that I am showing as a trend with Impala being that my sister and cousin have one also in different years, the car makes a ticking noise when the air or heat is turned on the passenger side delivers opposite temp as the driver so if air is on the passenger will deliver heat and vice versa. If the car goes over a speed bump the engine reduces power and service stabilitrak appears across the lighting as well as the car dropping out of gear if I go over any bump. This is very dangerous especially being that my children and I were in this car and it decided to do this on the interstate at night in 70 mph traffic. After doing research on the vehicle I am showing that I am not the only person with all of these problems listed, and it bothers me that none of these issues have been recalled just as the air bags were even though I think the recall, is just to save face because no one is actually doing the work to get them fixed. At first I thought these things were just mechanical problems with age of car but after research these are issues that are in cars made in this time frame and warrants a recall for the safety of consumers.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 052015

Impala

Heater fails to deliver any air to driver side and only minimal amount of air to rider side when cab heater is in floor distribution mode or dual mode. Dealer advises this is by design and there is no problem. This is a ridiculous explanation and is a problem. Car has approximately 55,000 miles.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Nov 122013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the heating system failed to emit hot air. The contact mentioned that they were concerned due to the failure occurring during cold weather conditions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000. Updated 04/08/16 updated 04/12/16.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 282015

Impala

Issue occurred twice so far. Service traction control error message appeared followed by reduced engine power. 1st time this occurred the car came to a complete stop and would not run. Was on a small side street and only doing about 15 mph. I let the car sit after calling for a ride. Car restarted and drove to dealer 2 miles away. 2nd time same set of error messages, car was doing 70 on the highway at the time and dropped to below 50 mph. Drove to dealer. Both times, repair was identified as being a defective acclerator pedal position sensor. 2nd time vehicle had 92149 miles on it. Do not have the record for the mileage for the 1st time but it was about 1 year prior with estimated mileage of 77000.

- Troy, NY, USA

Dec 152015

Impala

Door locks will not lock or unlock. Door locks have quit working one by one. Front driver door only door with key lockable unlockable feature. Therefore, doors can only be unlocked by unlocking driver door and crawling into car and manually unlocking all other doors. I have owned no other car that had this feature where out in less than seven years. This is a safety hazard not being able to unlock/lock doors. The locks don't work whether car stationary or in motion.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Nov 112015

Impala

Reduced engine power message, faulty back door locks, heating actuator repairs. This is a revised complaint to one I also made for just the reduced engine power message. After reading numerous complaints on here I have found that my car has several of the issues not just reduced engine power. I am most concerned with the car cutting out while driving due to the reduced engine power however we also have locks that don't open/lock with remote which has been going on for the last 3 years and since last winter heater only blows cold air until you accelerate the car. This month we had car repaired for a knocking noise coming from under glove box while car was running or shut off. Mechanic diagnosed as a new actuator and did repair. This however did not repair the blowing of cold air and also this is when the reduced engine power warning started. I am a former gmac employee and have had GM vehicles for the last 15 years. I am so disappointed that there are so many problems with this make/model and that GM has not issued a recall on these.

- Breinigsville, PA, USA

Nov 112015

Impala

Reduced engine power message. This message came up after have car at mechanics for a repair on actuator. We took back to mechanic and he cleared message however message has appeared after a week of driving car less than 10 miles per day. Mechanic said possible fix resulting in another $300 repair. The message came up while doing local driving around town less than 5 miles before it will appear

- Breinigsville, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While the vehicle was parked, all the doors failed to unlock electronically. As a result, the contact had to manually unlock the doors. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Sylacauga, AL, USA

Dec 122014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While attempting to start and move the vehicle, it would not shift out of park. The contact stated that the failure occurred on a previous occasion. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where an interim repair was performed in order to drive the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness was inoperable and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was not available.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Dec 112013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard a loud clicking noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Godfrey, IL, USA

Sep 182014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the key fob was not able to be removed from the ignition and the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it could not be diagnosed. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was remedied under NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the failure recurred twelve times after the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 85,733.

- Uxbridge, MA, USA

Apr 012011

Impala

I bought the car in 2009 and it had given me problems since I bought it. A week after I bought the car, the gas sensors went bad, the door handle came off and the locks wouldn't work. That was a $1000 bill. The tire sensors went bad and now the locks are going bad again. Ever since then, the blend door actuator, which regulates the heat or recirculating air has consistently gone bad. I have replaced it three times so far and two of the actuators have gone bad again. It makes a loud knocking sound under the dash whether the car is running or not. It also happens when I'm driving. I have called Chevy so many times, I remembered the script they read to you. They never helped. It is a $200 repair bill every time it is repaired. I tried to let it burn itself out and it lasted over a year. I was told by a mechanic that it is a problem on 2004-2008 Impala but they never recalled it. It also causes the air to blow cold in the winter. Why wasn't a recall done on these vehicles.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 072015

Impala

Vehicle stuck in park unable to shift from the parked position. Parked in front of my house went to go pick daughter up from school and couldn't shift gears.

- Chicago Heights, IL, USA