2008 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

May 062015

I have had this reduced engine power/service traction control message before with this car. A few years ago I had it cut off on me in the middle of a side street. Thankfully it wasn't a busy street. But I've never felt threatened until this morning. I came to an intersection of a busy highway when I got the message. I needed to cross over to the other side. As I began to cross I was in the cross-hairs of a trash truck on one side and a car on the other. I tried to floor it but my car didn't respond as normal. It truly was reduced! thankfully all the other vehicles performed as they should.

- Neptune City, NJ, USA

Apr 012014

Driving down the highway and the engine slows down, then the reduced speed light comes on. The engine power is very slow almost got rear ended. I have read on line that this has happened alot to this particular vehicle, why hasn't Chevy recalled any yet. This should be a safety hazard.

- Jefferson , LA, USA

Apr 172013

Was driving down the road and out of no where my car flashed a message that said service traction control and then engine power reduced and my car came to an almost complete stop. It would not accelerate at all. This has happened many times now and have caused very dangerous situations while going down the road. The problem will go away after the car has been turned off for a few hours but it will do it again out of no where I have tried to have this fixed multiple times ad there is no fix! it is very dangerous and there should be a recall before someone is killed!

- Celina, TN, USA

Apr 072015

Impala 6-cyl

The reduced power light came on while I was driving. I checked online and it seems like a lot of people are having this problem. It is a major concern because it will slow your vehicle down if your going at high speeds.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 042015

Impala 6-cyl

"reduced engine power" message is displayed and the car slowed to about 20 mph. Had this been the highway we could have had a serious accident. According to various blogs on the internet GM is ignoring this life threatening defect. I would pay for a fix but there doesn't seem to be one at this time. I will give a Chevy dealer a chance to make it right but am not holding my breath.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Mar 272015

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and the engine losing power warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 132013

The service traction control light comes on and the engine power reduced message appears. The entire car shuts down and you can not accelerate. I was on the freeway and could have been hit from behind. I immediately put on my hazard lights and pulled off to the side of the road. This was the first time, happened again this month(March). Taking to Chevy dealer for a diagnosis.

- Rayne, LA, USA

Feb 232015

Impala 6-cyl

I let me 2008 Chevy Impala warm up as the windchill is around -35 degrees below zero. I started out of the parking lot, when all of a sudden my message display said "reducing engine speed", then it said "service disabled, disabled service throttle". then the veh came to a complete stop and left me stranded in the middle of a parking lot! there are no towers available at all till tomorrow morning either. Tried jumping starting the vehicle - but to no avail. Called a Chevy dealer and they had no idea what was happening with it.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Feb 062015

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle out of the blue says "reducing engine speed" and then car slows down and can not speed up in traffic cars about to run over me wonder will this happen on the highway?

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 152015

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle was leaking oil for the past several months and upon inspection by local repair shop on January 15, 2015, two different visible leaks were found as a result of normal wear and tear after only approx. 73,000 miles. The repair shop indicated that inferior gaskets/seals in the 1) engines intake manifold gasket and 2) the rack and pinion system caused premature leaks to occur in the models. Repair costs are estimated at approx. $2,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 172015

I was going 65 mph on the freeway and out of nowhere my engine went into power reduce mode without warning and I almost got rear ended bad with my child in the car with me. I did get tapped from behind but really nothing major but it could have been worse thank god I was able to walk away from that. Mind you I just picked my car up that Friday from the Chevrolet dealership they changed the throttle body and still the same problem. Now this is the second time I picked my car up from the Chevrolet dealership for the same problem. The first time they tried to tell me it was the battery. This is a very dangerous issue I'm having and it shouldn't be taken lightly. It seems that many people are having the same problem and innocent peoples lives are getting put in danger for no reason..... please help.....thank you

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 022014

Impala 6-cyl

I have had the ignition switch repaired under the recall thinking this might help the problem. I will be driving down the road when the steering will lock up and the car slows and cuts off. I have had several near miss accidents with other cars and am literally afraid to drive the car anymore. I have taken the car to several other dealers and they claim they are unable to determine what is wrong or how to fix it. It is only a mater of time before I have an accident and injure myself or others.

- Bennettsville, SC, USA

Dec 312014

I was driving and all of a sudden my engine light came on and a message popped on my dash board that said enging power reduced. This is about the 10th time or more that this has happened to me. After google searching the problem, there are hundreds of people having this same issue with their Chevy Impala. There needs to be a recall on this!!! no one should have to come out of their pocket.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 122008

• 1,070,000 miles
My Impala will completely shut down and lock up everytime it rains. I can be driving 5 mph through a parking lot and water film on the pavement and my Impala will shake, lock up and shut down. I was leaving my church parking lot to turn right onto road, my Impala shut down and drifted straight across the street almost landing in the ditch. Thank god there was no oncoming traffic. It has happen while driving 35 and car shut down. It is very terrifying to drive a car that shuts down and have no control over. I have small children and am fearful my and their safety. Updated 2/16/16

- Spring , TX, USA

Sep 012010

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated as the vehicle decelerated independently. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the secondary air injection pump failed. The mechanic stated that the location of the pump was near the ground and would be exposed to moisture on a rainy day. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Dec 032014

Out of no where while driving the display says "engine power reduced" and then switches to "service traction control". I have limited power, the check engine light comes on and so does the traction control light. I can drive the car to where I am going, but no acceleration.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Nov 222014

Driving 40mph check engine light came on then reduced engine power flashed on message board several seconds later traction control light came on and service traction control came on message board. My speed was reduced to 20mph in traffic! luckily I was able to pull over safely without causing any accident (fyi I had my daughter in thr car with me). I will be taking the car to a Chevy shop in the morning where im sure I will have to pay high cost out of pocket even though this has been an issue for Chevy owners (online search) and there has been many complaints with no recall. This is a serious issue and I feel it is putting many lives in danger and should have been a recall a long time ago. Im just lucky I wasn't on the highway yet because this could have turned fatal.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Nov 042014

I was turning in my driveway off of the main road and the car seemed to cut off. The first thing that I noticed was that I had to struggle to turn the wheel as I was trying to avoid a cement post on the side of my driveway. I got it in the driveway while basically coasting, and I noticed some lights on in the dash. I put the vehicle in park and proceeded to start it.

- Vanceboro, NC, USA

Oct 272014

So im drving down the expressway I57 at about 85mph and the car beeps 3 times displaying service stabilatrack/ service traction and check engine seconds later the car completely cut off. While in traffic.

- Country Club Hills, IL, USA

Sep 252014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 65 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the throttle sensor shut down warning message appeared. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the throttle position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired twice, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA