2008 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Sep 252014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 65 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the throttle sensor shut down warning message appeared. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the throttle position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired twice, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 022014

Impala 6-cyl

Throttle disable light comes on and the engine shuts down, including steering. This has happened twice. The first time was January of 2014, speed was approximately 50 mph. We were able to steer the car into a neighborhood and after about 30-40 minutes, the engine started again. This happened again yesterday, in a much more dangerous situation. I was entering a highway with traffic travelling at and above posted speed of 70 mph. As I merged, the throttle disabled light flashed on and the engine immediately shut down. Luckily I was able to steer the car onto the shoulder. I truly feel my life was in danger. The vehicle started after about 30 minutes of me sitting on the very busy shoulder of this highway.

- Saline, MI, USA

Jul 312014

Impala 6-cyl

Without warning, an engine power reduced notice appears, and the vehicle slows down from 65 mph to under 20 mph.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Aug 162014

Impala 6-cyl

This is the third time this has happened to me and luckily not while traveling on a highway. I am getting a traction control loss with reduced power light on that actually powers down the engine. I have been able to shut the car off and clear the light and it works O.K. but that is not a permanent fix. This problem with these vehicles has been well documented hundreds of times on forums all over the internet and why has GM done nothing about this? someone is going to die or seriously become injured due to this defect, I hope to god it is not me!!! this is really a problem if you are traveling at a high rate and speed and the engine decides to power down. I want this addressed asap before we are reading and hearing about another fatality at the hands of GM!!!!

- North Haven, CT, USA

Sep 032013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximate 80 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Sep 212012

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the engine reduced warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled numerous times. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the evap sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was driven to an authorized dealer for further diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 272014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into a pole and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a concussion, sprained neck, and whiplash which required medical attention. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V355000 (electrical system), however the parts are not available to perform the repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Oct 012013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 73,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pleasenton , TX, USA

Aug 122014

Impala

I was driving in the rain on my way to work on a highway. With out warning my steering locks up, my battery light and engine lights turn on. Along with this my cars temp goes through the roof. This is happening at 65 mph its 3 am I can no longer see or control my vehicle. Thanks to my skilled driving I was able to pull the car over. I can't figure out what is wrong with my car I've had a professional look at it he doesn't know what do over than replace parts and do trial and error. Im lucky to be alive every time I drive in the rain but its not me that I'm worried about. I don't want anybody to get hurt or killed due to my steering locking up.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Jun 182014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the engine power reduced warning light illuminated and the vehicle decelerated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 200,000 and the current mileage was 210,000.

- Lena, MS, USA

May 142013

Impala

I was driving when vehicle lost power and car shut off. I put the car in neutral and restarted the motor and this has happened on a few occasions. More recently, at times car will not turn over or crank and the check engine light comes on. Then suddenly the car cranks and after some time has passed the check engine light shuts off. I took the car to the dealership and they told me it was the battery. I replaced the battery at the dealership but it still does the same thing. I took the car back to the dealership but the dealership said they could not find the problem. So I took the car to another mechanic and he told me it was the ignition 1 switch circuit 2 (code P1682).

- Lancaster, TX, USA

May 142013

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Apr 172013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving 65mph vehicle just died. Was not able to start for about 15 mins. This has happened several times nearly causing several accidents. The vehicle intermittently has reduced engine power while driving and jerks from a complete stop sometimes. Now the oil engine pressure/turn off engine light and alarm go off all the time. Replace the sensor, but to no avail. The loud knocking sound from the dash is utterly annoying. I think the fact that only the police cars got recalled is insane, no matter what the recall was. I'm sure once they took those vehicles in; all the other issues I have mentioned were also fixed. Also the rear driver side power lock is faulty and unsafe when traveling with young children. I honestly believe with so many consumers having the exact same problems, GM should issue a recall on these vehicles before several tragedies occur and we then just become statistics. Please help. There are so many of us out here with the exact same issues on these Impala who should not have to pay for the repair of something that apparently should be recalled by GM. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Updated 2/18/2015

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Mar 142013

Impala 6-cyl

Once my vehicle got near 80K miles, it began to randomly shut down on me as I drive. The message "engine power reduced, service throttle" comes on and I barely have time to pull out of harm's way before the car won't move. This has happened numerous times over the past year--most recently, three times while driving on the freeway and turnpike on Saturday June 28. Driving at 70mph and having my car suddenly lose power is beyond ridiculous. When my mechanic pulls the error code, it's just a general computer error every time. Nothing at all about the throttle has ever shown. Why is this not a recall when you search "Impala engine power reduced" and see there are a ton of people with the same issue" does someone have to die before this issue gets fixed"

- Youngstown, OH, USA

May 292014

Impala

While driving to work on 29 May 2014 I hit a small pothole. The pothole is 10" across, 3-4" deep, and I hit it head on. This caused my car to shut off, which I didn't realize until I tried to accelerate. I then realized I had no power steering or breaks and had to pull off to the side of the road to restart the car. Luckily there were no cars behind me, so other than having to pull off the road on a curve I was lucky. I called both my local GM dealer (ressler of bozeman, mt) and GM customer support to tell them about the issue. The local dealer told me there was no issue with the car, no recalls, and nothing to worry about. The technician told me to "avoid hitting potholes". given the state of the roads that may be hard to do. The GM support told me there was no recall at the moment but there might be one down the road and to watch the news.

- Livingston, MT, USA

Jun 202014

Impala

Service traction control/engine power reduced lights came on dash. Car lost all power and when stomping the gas pedal speed would resume, very hesitant from a dead stop. Car was jerking, shut off traction control and car jerked then too. GM needs to fix this before there are deaths. Also I have no unlocking doors. They have to all be manually unlocked. Battery was replaced in car and on key fab. Gas pedal sensor and throttle body sensor are the triggered codes, GM needs to find the real solution as these don't seem to fix problem.

- Eureka, IL, USA

Jun 012011

Impala 8-cyl

I was at a stop sign, when I went to pull onto the highway, the transmission slipped and hesitated! I took it to GM dealer and was told they could find no problem with it! it would actually have to go bad before they could do anything about it! now I have 68000 miles on it, and the problem happens daily! two days ago, when pulling on to the highway, it hesitated again, but this time there was a semi coming! luckily it finally took hold and I could proceed! I saw on the internet, that this is a common problem for this vehicle!! why, doesn't GM fix it?? also, I have had my car in for engine problems, they have removed the engine from the car, and "decarboned the cylinder"! now about 30000 miles later it has the same problem again!

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Nov 052013

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle was stopped at stoplight. Driver reached down to pick up paper he dropped on the floor, and accidentally got finger caught in lanyard attached to key ring that had the ignition key in it. Ignition switched turned to off, and engine quit. Had to shift to neutral to restart engine.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

May 092014

Impala 6-cyl

Our 2008 Impala ls, with 100,000 miles, is having the same problem I am seeing at this web site and all across the internet. Last month, may, 2014, and this month, June, 2014, there was a sudden reduced power alert on the dashboard and the check engine light came on. The speed immediately dropped to no more than 35 mph. Before I could get it to advance to have them check to see if any codes had been dropped by the computer, the check engine light went off. There was no reduced power message either, and the speed returned to normal. I was told to try fuel injector cleaner, which I did. All went well for almost a month, when the same thing happened again this month. This time I was able to get it to advance with the check engine light still on. The computer had dropped 2 codes, both related to the accelerator pedal position sensor. Advance did not have the part, nor did autozone. Fortunately, Napa did, for $90, including tax. Our local Chevy dealership wanted $50 more. Since it is a very easy part to replace even for an amateur like me, I replaced it. There are only 2 10 mm bolts to remove and an electrical connection to unplug. So it was pretty simple, and so far, this has done the trick, but it's only been 24 hours. This apparently is a job that the dealerships want to charge $300 to $400 to do. As I said, this is a widespread problem for GM, and they have not and will not, so far, do a recall. They should. I'm only out $90 so far, but other people are out much more. If I have the dreaded, follow-up problem with the throttle body, I will be out a whole lot more. I sent an E-mail to Chevrolet after the first instance, and did get a response back. I told him I didn't want to take any further action unless this happens again. I will be contacting him again now about this latest incident.

- Inwood, WV, USA

May 292014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine indicator illuminated. After five minutes, the contact restarted the vehicle and it operated normally. The contact immediately drove to the dealer who stated that the accelerator pedal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 41,550.

- Westmont, IL, USA