2008 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Aug 012013

Impala

Frequently, service traction control and engine power is reduced lights come on. When this happens, car is sluggish and will not accelerate. This is very dangerous because it happens unexpectedly and causes vehicle to decelerate quickly. Typically the car will start normally after sitting for 15-30 minutes but check engine light remains on for some time. Also, the message engine hot/ac off fires randomly. Temperature gauge rests at zero. It will start working again either through manual reset by removing battery cables and reconnecting or randomly start working again on its own. There are numerous reports of both issues on the internet which indicate replacement of sensors/throttle are very expensive and do not fix the issues.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 212014

Impala 6-cyl

This is the second incident we have had with our 2008 Chevrolet Impala where this problem has occurred. The most recent incident was on Wednesday May 21st, around 730 pm. My wife was driving on a road with a posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour, she said she was going about 48 when the traction control light came on, and the messaging system indicated "reduced engine power." When this happens the vehicle slows rather rapidly, and then it is impossible to accelerate beyond about 30 miles per hour or so. Due to the rapid decline in speed and the fact that this occurs without warning, I believe this should be an immediately acted upon problem. I contacted GM only to be told that I have to take it to get it looked at by one of their local dealerships, and pay for that diagnostic. In my online research I have discovered many, probably in the hundreds, who've experienced this identical issue. Some of which have take their car to GM who has concluded according to post of experiences on edmunds that they were unable to determine the source of the problem or repair it. This is a problem that require immediate attention. I can't imagine how differently this could have gone should my wife have been going 75 mph on interstate 80. We live along I-80 and travel it frequently. However as a result of this problem we are essentially unable to trust our vehicle beyond about 50 miles per hour.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Jun 042013

Impala

I own a 2008 Chevy Impala which has been having computer problems for 1 yr now. It reads out reduced engine power and the car wont go faster than 40 mph. Ive had it fixed but then comes right back up, one mechanic says to clean the throttle and another says its sensors. This is becoming quite a problem and nobody can fix it permanently. It is a serious saftey issue due to the fact that I Transport grandchildren around and the car looses power out of nowhere, then just shuts down in the middle of traffic. I cant keep paying all this money for it to just happen over and over with no results. When is this going to be on the recall list" I went online to find out there are alot of other people having the same exact issue. Please help me" I cant afford to keep paying for this when its never actually been fixed. I have no problem paying to have my car fixed but I do when I have to pay over and over again and its still not fixed.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Apr 142014

Impala

TL- contact owns a 2008 chevey Impala lt. The failure occured April 2014. The contact was driving and you hit a pothole. The contact stated that they had to put on hazard lights on. The contact brakes failed after hitting the pothole, preventing her from stoping the vehicle. The contact stated the key ignition failed. The current millage is 109,000. The contact called the manufacture. There were no repairs made on the vehicle.

- Phil, PA, USA

Apr 222014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while he drove at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who reprogrammed the computer but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 61,000.

- Brockton , MA, USA

Sep 012009

Impala 8-cyl Diesel

2008 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to transmission failure. The consumer stated the vehicle was purchased in Sept 2007, and in Sept 2009, the transmission had to be replaced. The vehicle was covered under 100% warranty and she was given a rental car. The transmission was replaced a for a second time, and lasted until March 2014. The consumer stated the transmission was replaced for a 3rd time and it hasn't even been 7 years. The consumer stated the vehicle would hesitate from a stop. The dealer also stated the vehicle needed engine mount and stabilizer links.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Sep 182013

Impala

I drive the car and it says engine power reduced stabilatrak it slows down and it feels forced to drive so I pull to the side of the road wait about 10 to 15 minutes and it starts but then it got to the point were it wasn't even drivable with it stating engine power reduced stabilatrak so I called Chevy in modesto ca asked if there was a recall they said no and I told them I seen a lot of complaints on line with the same problems I was going through they said you cant believe everything online miss I took the car into the a mechanic I know he diagnosed it as being a throttle sensor and pedal sensor charged me 587$ I thought the problem was solved a week later it did again engine power reduced but this time it started over heating to ive had nothing but problembs with this car ive also changed the tires numerous times the sensor for tires is always lighthing up and saying check left front tire or back tire I take it to the tire shop they say tires are fine but the back ones need to be changed I change the back tires it still says check back tires ive also had the suspension fixed a few times when itswindy I feel the car moving from side to side I also have had engine problems with the transmission was replaced nowit has has 2 blown head gaskets all in all the past 2 to 3 years I have payed 4 to 6,000 in repair and itsstill running like with it stating engine power reduced stabilatrak I need my vehicleto befixed of this problem.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Apr 082014

Impala 6-cyl

While driving message reduced engine power is displayed along with throttle disabled message, engine shuts off, making vehicle difficult to steer. Left my wife stranded in middle of road. Car restarts after approx. 15 min and displays orange engine light. Took to webbs texaco in lakeland, fl and they say it has a bad ECM. Previously shut off at 70 mph on interstate.

- Polk City, FL, USA

Jan 082014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while exiting a parking lot, the vehicle suddenly stalled without warning. The starter disabled, service throttle and engine power low warning messages displayed on the instrument panel after the failure. The vehicle was restarted after numerous attempts however, the failure progressed into an intermittent occurrence. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the engine control module would need to be replaced. The manufacture was alerted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 128,000. Updated 06/27/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. An occasional, split second stall or missing out can be detected. If it continues after the oil change and transmission fluid check the consumer will report it to the dealer. Updated 07/2/2014

- Paducah, KY, USA

Mar 202014

Impala 6-cyl

While accelerating the car lost the ability to continue accelerating all at once which caused a jerking motion of the car causing me(the driver) to be thrown forward hitting my head on the steering wheel. It all happened very fast and the reduced engine power and traction control message appeared on the dash board and is still on the dash board. As I said it all happened very fast but I was able to brace myself slightly which is the only reason I was not seriously injured. This issue which now after speaking to my car mechanic and me seeing many other people having the same issue after doing some research online is a death sentence to someone. Someone is going to die from the car losing the ability to accelerate all at once along with a jerking motion that makes you want to have a foot on the gas and a foot on the brake to be able to stop should the car take off on it own.

- Woodlyn, PA, USA

Mar 102014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated to approximately 5 mph. The contact indicated that the vehicle traction control and engine reduce power warning lights illuminated prior to the vehicle decelerating. The contact stated that after turning the engine off and restarting the vehicle operated as normal. Vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 105,521.

- Melrose Park , IL, USA

Mar 082014

Impala 6-cyl

I purchased a Chevy 08 Impala in late January 2013 with less that 55K mile on it, now it's been about a year it's around 64K mile. Today on my way to work, the traction control light and engine light are on and there are the message of traction control is on and also the engine power is reduced. I felt the speed of the car reduced, luckily I am on local street without many traffic. After about an hour I tried to tested it again and only the engine light is on, the speed of the car is normal. I am not familiar with car problems and also it's my first time to own a car. But I read a lot posts online forums.edmunds.com/discussion/13406/Chevrolet/Impala/Chevy-Impala-reduced-engine-power-message/P26 and found so many people experiencing the similar problems. The same problem would later happen in my situation. I am disappointed to learn that GM hasn't resolved this issue. I hope I could fix it soon.

- East Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 032014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the reduce engine power warning message illuminated and the vehicle decelerated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 128,000.

- Salem, NH, USA

Dec 082013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the traction control, stability track and engine reduce power warning lamp illuminated. After the warning lamps illuminated, the vehicle suddenly decelerated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 92,000....updated 03-12-14 the consumer stated the problem was intermittent

- Monroe, NY, USA

Jan 092014

Impala 6-cyl

My engine power reduced light keeps coming on and the power is significantly affected. I can set my cruise and then without warning the light comes on, cruise stops working and car slows down. This is a hazard in fast moving traffic. It appears that this is a very common problem among 2008 model Impala.

- Sawyer, KS, USA

Dec 292013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle service traction control and engine power reduced lights illuminated. The vehicle was not taken for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,500.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 272013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving about 35 mph the entire car system shut off, no warning lights came, I rolled into a dirt parking lot, and turned the key off, sat there for a little while then continue to work, had to take alternate route, didn't know when or if it would happen again. It did happen again later that afternoon, while autozone tech was checking my battery. It was frightening, thank god!! traffic was light.I live where a lot of big rigs come and go, I mostly drive freeways, but that day I had to change my route.

- Perris, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Impala

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Impala ltz. I have had several occasions now when my car has started flashing "service stabilitrak" "engine power reduced" "service airbags" and then all the corresponding lights come on. One of the times the vehicle flashed all of those warnings, the lights came on and the car died, while I was driving. It lost all power and it took everything I had to steer the vehicle off the road. I had my four year old with me that time and was scared I was not going to be able to get us to a safe spot to sit and wait for help. The most recent incident happened last evening on my way home from work. I was driving on the freeway going about 75mph, the warnings flashed and then my car lost power and felt as though it was not handling the road as well as it should. I live in mn and we are in the middle of winter now. I need my car to be safe and I rely on this car to get my son and I to where we need to go safely! this is the only vehicle I have and cannot afford for something to happen to it. I have been reading several forums about others that this is happening to and can't help but feel there has to be something more to the situation. I would feel horrible if something ever happened to my family or anyone else because of my faulty vehicle!! this needs to be figured out and taken care of.

- Dayton, MN, USA

Dec 082013

Impala 6-cyl

In June 2012 I had this problem error message read: "engine power reduced " as I was driving 55 mph on highway mph fell below to 40 I had to get off highway. I had this problem fixed so I thought it cost me about 360 dollars. Same exact recurring problem same error message today 12/09/13. This is ridiculous GM has to know this is not safe. Dealership will not repair again at their own expense. Too much money for me to continue paying over N over again. They need to recall this car it's outrageous! can someone please help us?!

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 052013

Impala

I was driving down the road and the power reduced, its says reduced power in engine.

- Twinlake, MI, USA