2008 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Dec 202012

Impala 8-cyl

When taking off from a start the transmission doesn't engage causing the engine to rev, then it slams into gear eventually. Have also noticed a decrease in power somewhat. Have had it in the dealer for service 3 times and of course they say they cant find anything wrong with it. Kinda crappy since the warranty just went out on the drive train about a month ago. Problem only seems to be getting worse. I have read on forums of this issue on numerous vehicles that use the 4T65-hd transmission and that GM refuses to acknowledge that there is a flaw in these transmissions.

- Irving, TX, USA

Feb 012010

Impala

Excessive wear on my rear tires. I have been told that the suspension is faulty and that excessive repair work had to be done to remedy this. I had to call aaa on one occassion because one of my rear tires blew out because of this problem. No injuries and I was lucky that I was driving in the city when this happened. On the highway, I could have cause great damage to myself and possibly to others around me. My car burns thru oil so super fast. It burns a quart of oil approximately every 750 miles.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Jan 292013

Impala 8-cyl

I was starting the car up and the engine was going in and out. I noticed that the check engine light was on and it stayed on. The stabili-trac light also came on. The panel also said that the engine was losing power. This happened 2 times within the last 8 days. I stopped the vehicle and turned it off. Cranked it back up and the check engine light was still on. Took it to the car dealer and they said that it was the throttle position sensor.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Dec 192012

Impala 8-cyl

I was going down the road and out of no where my car says service traction control, followed by service stabilitrak, followed by engine power reduced with a check engine light on. Lost almost all power to the car, could barely turn the wheel and the brakes felt extremely strange. I could only go about 5mph tops down the road. Luckily I was only 2 min from home. Which actually took 6 min because of the reduced engine speed. Right before I pulled in the driveway the motor died. The next day I went out and tried starting it. The remote start wasn't working and my check engine light was still on but it did start up with a turn of the key. I looked up codes and found that it was telling me the accelerator pedal sensor was bad. I have googled this issue and found that it is a very dangerous, common problem with the Chevy Impala. Although that is the code it is giving me, other people have had to replace their throttle body to resolve the problem. GM should recall it before someone gets hurt. I will not be buying another GM vehicle in the future because they are too cheap to fix this common issue which could essentially cost someone their life.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Nov 142012

Impala 6-cyl

After mysterious loss of coolant, the head gaskets required replacement due to bad head bolts from the factory. This occurred 2 months after the factory warranty expired.

- Port Washington, NY, USA

May 312012

Impala

I was traveling on a highway near to my home, and for about a month now the vehicle has come up with an error stating "reduced engine power". suddenly, the vehicle simply stalled itself, coming up with a message that stated "starting disabled/service throttle". I was traveling uphill at 40mph, now with no power brakes, no power steering, and the engine completely shut off and unable to restart. Luckily I was able to pull over and disconnect the battery and reconnect it to restart it. What if this had happened on a highway on or off ramp" or on a corner? or with a vehicle traveling behind me" I believe any vehicle that will just randomly turn itself off due to a part that has had hundreds of complaints that I've just read online is unsafe to be driven on America's highways. I read online that this was a prevalent problem with these vehicles, and I hope I get injured because of it so I can sue GM.

- Shakopee, MN, USA