2008 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 152016

Impala

I was driving in traffic around 5:30pm cst on us 59 N and rankin rd Tuesday 11/15/16 when my vehicle lost engine power. I was unable to accelerate or steer and the only light that came on in the car was the service tire monitor system. I managed, somehow, to steer the vehicle to the left shoulder of the freeway and put it in park. I turned off the vehicle and when I went start it again, after releasing the key, it made a stuttering to start sound over and over again even though I was no longer touching the key. When I tried to start it again it turn on and then back off and continued to do this at least 3 more times. I eventually had it towed to my home and after reading online today at forums.edmonds.com many people have been having this issue with Impala's and Suburban's from GM for at least 4 years now, first post is back in 2012. GM needs to put a recall on these vehicles and fix the issue before it more fatalities, as proven in their earlier 2014-2015 recall. They just did a recall about a year ago for Impala's having an issue where the ignition switch would then switch into the off position while driving if you hit a bump too hard and had too much weight on your keys. I got my vehicle serviced for that recall issue but it seems like their fix for that was incorrect and not the issue seeing as my vehicle, and several others, still shuts down while driving and the ignition is still in the on (not off) position, you lose acceleration and steering. This is extremely dangerous and will cause more deaths, injuries, and accidents. Please get this to GM and have them correct this issue in all their models with sensor throttle body's instead of wired ones. They also need to fix the issue of door and A/C accuators in their models, as its been described to me as a common issue in GM models. This is a very unsafe issue for all drivers GM or not. More accidents will follow.

- New Caney, TX, USA

Jul 012016

Impala

Two different outcomes but stem from the same issue. While trying to start my vehicle I get a click and care won't start at all. Sometimes after several tries it does fire up. Also when it does start it will sometimes stall. Most recently while traveling didn't the interstate it stalled going 75mph leaving me to coast and disrupt 4 lanes of traffic.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 292016

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. As soon as the vehicle was started, the reduce engine power and service traction control warning indicators illuminated. The contact drove the vehicle for approximately 6 miles at 25 mph before the vehicle stalled. The engine powered off and the starter disabled warning indicators illuminated. The contact had to coast the vehicle to the side of the road to a complete stop. After a few minutes, the vehicle restarted and operated normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000. Updated 08/30/16

- Clairton, PA, USA

May 212016

Impala

Takata recall. It happen to me twice I got two kids the car lost power from 45 to ten. Engine light is on. The code thst comes up is P2138 this is not ok needs to get fixed. First time it happen I was on a highway the car behind me almost hit me due to the engine power loss.

- Los Alamos, NM, USA

Feb 282016

Impala

I got a jump after the engine light came on. Took it to get ichecked they say its my ECM. What is that and is it related to that electrical recall. I was in park

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012014

Impala

This vehicle has been recalled due to air bags, and in a year no one has been able to get the repairs done to the vehicle. But furthermore the car has several other mechanical issues that I am showing as a trend with Impala being that my sister and cousin have one also in different years, the car makes a ticking noise when the air or heat is turned on the passenger side delivers opposite temp as the driver so if air is on the passenger will deliver heat and vice versa. If the car goes over a speed bump the engine reduces power and service stabilitrak appears across the lighting as well as the car dropping out of gear if I go over any bump. This is very dangerous especially being that my children and I were in this car and it decided to do this on the interstate at night in 70 mph traffic. After doing research on the vehicle I am showing that I am not the only person with all of these problems listed, and it bothers me that none of these issues have been recalled just as the air bags were even though I think the recall, is just to save face because no one is actually doing the work to get them fixed. At first I thought these things were just mechanical problems with age of car but after research these are issues that are in cars made in this time frame and warrants a recall for the safety of consumers.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 072016

Impala

2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala ss ticking noise, engine misfire and/or ses light. This may be the result of an afm (active fuel management for displacement-on-demand) lifter that unlocks as soon as the engine is started or one that is mechanically collapsed/stuck. If an afm lifter unlocks as soon as the engine is started, a ses light and dtc P0300 will be experienced with engine misfires on cylinder 1, 4, 6 or 7 but it is unlikely that any noise will be experienced. If an afm lifter is mechanically collapsed/stuck, a consistent valvetrain tick noise, ses light and dtc P0300 will be experienced with engine misfires on cylinder 1, 4, 6 or 7.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 132012

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle lost power and the speed reduced to 35 mph. The check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,834. Updated 04/26/16

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 022015

Impala

Engine oil leaks, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, oil pan gasket. Can smell burning oil when driving & parked. After driving.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 112015

Impala

Reduced engine power message, faulty back door locks, heating actuator repairs. This is a revised complaint to one I also made for just the reduced engine power message. After reading numerous complaints on here I have found that my car has several of the issues not just reduced engine power. I am most concerned with the car cutting out while driving due to the reduced engine power however we also have locks that don't open/lock with remote which has been going on for the last 3 years and since last winter heater only blows cold air until you accelerate the car. This month we had car repaired for a knocking noise coming from under glove box while car was running or shut off. Mechanic diagnosed as a new actuator and did repair. This however did not repair the blowing of cold air and also this is when the reduced engine power warning started. I am a former gmac employee and have had GM vehicles for the last 15 years. I am so disappointed that there are so many problems with this make/model and that GM has not issued a recall on these.

- Breinigsville, PA, USA

Nov 112015

Impala

Reduced engine power message. This message came up after have car at mechanics for a repair on actuator. We took back to mechanic and he cleared message however message has appeared after a week of driving car less than 10 miles per day. Mechanic said possible fix resulting in another $300 repair. The message came up while doing local driving around town less than 5 miles before it will appear

- Breinigsville, PA, USA

Sep 132015

Impala

(reduced engine power) my 2008 Chevy Impala randomly shows down after the dash reads reduced engine power. I am lucky to be alive I was doing about 60 on the expressway and the car speed just dropped to 20mph I had to swerve because the car behind could not slow down in time. My two year old was in the car and I hear that GM cars have this problem all the time. This is ridiculously dangerous someone has to do something about it. The GM dealership has no ideal how to fix this.

- East Chicago, IN, USA

Oct 192015

Impala

Hello, only had my car 2 years and nothing but problems..my biggest concern is this light that's keeps coming on and says "engine power reduced" and kicks my cars down between 20 and 40 miles per hour..huge safety issue to me. I was driving with my 3 children on the highways when out of nowhere my car reduced to 20 miles on the highway!!! I was scared as well as my children and had to exit the highway as safely as possible. Now I have done some investigation about this and see many people are having the same issues how horrible. Why is there not a recall for this? my life and my children's lives are a factor and it's terrifying that nothing is getting done about this but is known by the makers of this vehicle..please I would like some answers and something done about this. I am a nurse out here saving lives everyday and I can't just afford to keep trying to fix a problem with a car that nobody has a real answer on why it's doing this. I have no option to still drive this vehicle as well as many other hard working people who have spent their hard working money on these vehicles and company. Thank you for your time and consideration with this matter.

- North Syracuse, NY, USA

Aug 262015

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 65 mph, the engine power reduced and the engine light warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle independently decelerated to 10 mph and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body control module needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Los Angelos , CA, USA

Jul 222015

Impala

While I was driving my car, about to accelerate, all of a sudden, a "service traction control" message came on and seconds after that, there was a "engine power is reduced" message. At this point there was some hesitation in the vehicle. I pulled over and shut the car off. When I turned the car on, after 2 minutes, I received the same message. I took the vehicle to my mechanic, and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I called my locale GM dealer and for a "nominal" charge, they would take a look at it. Since then, I have researched it on line, and have found that there have been numerous complaints about the same issue. It is a shame that GM has done nothing to fix this. I'm glad I was not on the highway when this happened, as the loss of speed and lack of acceleration could have caused an accident.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Jul 212015

Impala

Traction control needs service message displayed, then throttle disabled message displayed shutting the engine off going down the road. So therefor no power steering, brakes etc. Once pulled onto shoulder car would not crank. Had to wait five minutes until the gauges flickered and then car was able to be restarted. This is highly dangerous if not where to pull off or being followed closely. Not to mention not power steering assist or brake assist. This could very easily cause a crash and there for should be a recall issued before people are injured or killed by this!

- Griggsville, IL, USA

Jul 162015

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and the starting throttle disabled warning message illuminated. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 166,000.

- Danville, VA, USA

Jun 262015

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle did not restart. The dealer was contacted, but the vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 77,120.

- Semmes, AL, USA

Jun 132015

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving down the street and out of nowhere the engine light came on and said engine reduced power. The car seemed to slow down and not have power. If I came to a stop and began to drive again, the car barely accelerated and the transmission jerked every single time it shifted. I had every car going around me down the busy street, because the car would barely go. I was worried I wouldn't even make it home and that the transmission was going to have serious problems along with the engine as it jerked roughly with every gear change. This is something that needs to be recalled immediately! it couldn't have happened at a worse time, as I just purchased this car a few weeks ago, have my first child on the way, and just got a house.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 152015

Impala

I started my car and the RPM's went to 0. message stated "service traction control" and engine power reduced". when I looked up information online I noticed many people had the same problem with Chevy/GM cars.

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA