2008 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

May 172013

Impala 6-cyl

On Friday 5/17/2013 I was driving home from work as I usually do and I made a stop at a red light. When the light turned green and I stepped on the gas to drive, I felt the car jerk and then the engine light came on and a message popped up and said engine power reduced. The car struggled to accelerate often feeling like it was going to cut off. I was able to make it to a parking lot where I felt safe in see the car broke down and I turned the car off an sat there for about 10 min and restarted the car. I was able to make it home by taking the highway since that is the only way I can make it home. When I got home the light turned off and I drove the car again and it appears to be driving normal. Then again today 5/19/2013, the same thing happened but this time the engine light did not shut off. I have no choice but to take the highway home and the car was very dangerous to drive because it does not accelerate the way it should. His poses as a danger to my life as well as others. After further research online I discovers that many people with Chevy Impala have reported and complained out the same issue that it can possibly be a sensor in the gas pedal which apparently isn't covered under the warranty and its costly consumers hundreds of dollars to correct. This vehicle definitely needs to be recalled as it is a safety threat.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

May 142013

I have read many other complaints similar to mine. I was driving yesterday and the "service stabilitrak, service traction control" warnings came on. After a few minutes "engine power reduced" warning came on and the car would not run over 50 mph. This is on a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. I was driving 45 mph and when the lights come on, they just as quickly turn off and on again. The car shook and the throttle was a bit off. It was very scary to drive, especially since this happened at night and it is not the first of today, this is the 5th time I have dealt with "reduced engine power"/"service stabilitrak". such a safety issue. Instead of being scared of getting into an accident, I'm fearful I will be the one causing the pile up.

- Katy, TX, USA

Apr 062013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving and trying to pass a slower vehicle when my check engine light came on and said "engine power reduced" I have a 2008 Chevy impale with 45000 miles, I took it to the Chevy dealer in indianapolis and was told in fact it was the gas pedal and was not covered under the power-train warranty...they also charged me $90 to check the problem and wanted to charge me $160 to fix it...I have been N contact with Chevy customer service and am hoping they will make this right...I want this problem fixed and to be reimbursed my $ one should be replacing a gas pedal on a car with less than 45000 miles and under 5 years old...

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 162013

Impala 6-cyl

When my Impala first started to display the engine power reduce message. I was told that it was the accelerator pedal position sensor. So I change the gas pedal the engine light when off for about two weeks. Then my car cut off one day as I was on my way to work. When I went to get it check they told me it might be the alternator and then it was the throttle body. Then there was nothing wrong with it but my car is now park and refuse to stay running. It will start only to cut off a mile or so into driving.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Mar 202013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at approximately 60 mph and my check engine and traction control light came on. Additionally, the dash alternately flashed between "service traction control" and "reduced engine power." My car slowed down, but never cut off. My acceleration wasn't what it normally is. I was able to make it to my destination, but was not a fun experience.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jan 082013

2008 an up Chevy Impala traction control light an check engine light plus engine power reduce. Its actually the sensor on your gas pedal what will happened without warning the car will drop to 5 mph. While you are driving and stay like that I took it to the Chevy dealer an they explain to me what's the problem its a very serious defect that can cause a rear end crash to the losing the amount of power. The Chevy dealership explained to me that they have a lot of problems with the Chevy Impala gas pedal.this is a serious issue an need to a recall for these makes an models.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 292012

I started the car with the remote start and it was warming up, went out put my two small children I and started it with the key, went back to grab my bag, and got in to go. When I hopped in the message center was blinking; engine power reduced, stabilization track, and something else to do with the traction control. It was very cold out and we had a long drive, I was very scared we would be stranded in the cold. My car has several miles, but has always been taken care of. This is very frustrating, and scary. I have done some research on-line, and it sounds as though Chevy is doing nothing to help the situation, and its happening with a lot of the same year vehicles! I love my car, this is the first big issue, I am so sad about it. I am worried about driving with my kids, from what I have read the car will just turn off! not okay!!! I hope that something; say a recall happens so this can be repaired with few lives lost. Do they want to be like Toyota and all the headache they had!

- Freeport, MN, USA

Dec 192012

Impala 8-cyl

I was going down the road and out of no where my car says service traction control, followed by service stabilitrak, followed by engine power reduced with a check engine light on. Lost almost all power to the car, could barely turn the wheel and the brakes felt extremely strange. I could only go about 5mph tops down the road. Luckily I was only 2 min from home. Which actually took 6 min because of the reduced engine speed. Right before I pulled in the driveway the motor died. The next day I went out and tried starting it. The remote start wasn't working and my check engine light was still on but it did start up with a turn of the key. I looked up codes and found that it was telling me the accelerator pedal sensor was bad. I have googled this issue and found that it is a very dangerous, common problem with the Chevy Impala. Although that is the code it is giving me, other people have had to replace their throttle body to resolve the problem. GM should recall it before someone gets hurt. I will not be buying another GM vehicle in the future because they are too cheap to fix this common issue which could essentially cost someone their life.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Nov 032012

Impala 6-cyl

I own a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. Today 11/03/2012 while driving to work the check engine light came on with a message indicating "engine power reduced". I researched the issue and discovered the accelerator pedal sensor is malfunctioning and this causes the message and check engine to appear. This sensor affects the cars drivability and causes limited speed in the vehicle. I looked on google and there are several complaints regarding the same issue. I guess no one has reported it but it seems very common amongst Chevrolet Impala model cars 2006 and up. This is the email link with several other concerns regarding the accelerator pedal sensor: I also have a problem with my seat belt. The driver??S side seat belt will not fasten without me holding the latch down. This issue started around August 2012 and is a real safety concern of mine. I didn't think much of it because it fastened. But knowing I have to hold the latch down in order for it to click indicates a defect and eventually it may not work properly. Please investigate these issues and if necessary warrant a recall because safety is the number one concern for consumers and if I don't feel safe driving a GM vehicle it will be my first and last time purchasing one.

- York, SC, USA

Jun 302012

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, her vehicle stalled. The contact had to maneuver through traffic in order to avoid a crash. The auto throttle body disabled light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact did not try to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to her home. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who determined the accelerator sensor malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 178,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 272009

Impala 6-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer states unintended acceleration while driver was not in the vehicle the consumer stated he left the vehicle running, in park, with the door opened. He walked approximately six steps away from the vehicle, and when he turned to go back to the vehicle, it was in motion, the opened door hit the side of the garage, which stopped the vehicle.

- Piqua, OH, USA

Jan 062010

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala ltz (na). While driving at any speed and attempting to accelerate, the contact noticed a delay in upshifting or downshifting before the vehicle would actually accelerate. Both the dealer and the manufacturer stated that the problem was normal. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current mileage was approximately 16,000. The failure mileage was approximately 12,000.

- Litpleton, CO, USA