2008 Chevrolet Impala seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 122016

Impala

The contact owned a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 15 mph, after proceeding through a green light, another vehicle crashed into the front of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the neck, both shoulders, left forearm, bruising and swelling to the upper chest cavity and lower abdomen. Medical attention was required. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard where it was determined that the vehicle was totaled. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 111,000.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Dec 312012

Impala

I was in an accident in royalton, vt traveling from burlington, vt where I was visiting family to my home in Maine. I went off the road into the ditch in the median, I'm not sure why but they think I may have hit some black ice. I ended up in the dartmouth hospital requiring major surgery to my back as well as some other problems. I spent 6 weeks in rehab learning how to walk again. My airbags did not inflate. I was worried more about my recovery at the time and not about why my air bags didn't inflate but I have seen several recalls lately that address the issue. I traded in the car a couple of years later so I did not get any notices about the problem.. I understand there has been a lawsuit filed but I was never contacted about it - probably because I no longer have the car. I would like some resolution to this situation

- Old Orchard Beach, ME, USA

Apr 152015

Impala

When changing temperature in vehicle, a loud clacking noise is heard for up to 2-3 minutes even if vehicle is turned off. Service air bag light and stablizer trac service light comes on. Oil leak under car. Only 55,000 miles. Can be heard 50 years away from car it is so loud. 2008 Chevrolet Impala

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 012016

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While drivng 45 mph, the vehicle struck a deer. The air bags did not deploy. The driver susained injuries to the head and chest. Medical attention was not requiried. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system), but the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was aware of the issue. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000.

- Eddyville, KY, USA

Nov 212015

Impala

Airbag light comes on randomly and quite often. The Chevrolet dealer told me the airbag will not deploy when the light is on or when the seatbelt latch triggers the airbag not to deploy.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Jan 052016

Impala

Came over on indicator air bag needs service

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Sep 302015

Impala

I purchased a 2008 Chevy Impala ltz from a reputable certified used car dealership (merrolis Chevrolet 9 mile and gratiot). I also had a warranty. In less than two months I had a service invoice for over $1300 the car needed a airbag coil replacement (477.00) steering difficulties. Also. The converter needed replacement (877.00). This makes the car sound like it needs a new muffler. I complained to the manager in service and I'm awaiting a response 11-13-15. He was supposed to call me back on Friday 11-13-15 but did not.

- Harper Woods, MI, USA

Sep 292015

Impala

The contact owned a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at 60 mph, the contact's vehicle rear ended another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a fractured collar bone and bruises that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Port Deposit, MD, USA

Jul 242015

Impala

I was going North on school street I had a green light. I car going West on rockton ran the red light and hit my car causing me to run into a tree. I had a head concussions and 6 broken ribs.my air bag did not open.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Feb 182015

Impala

As I was driving, I got a notification on my dashboard that read "engine power reduced service traction control". I continued to drive to my destination or somewhere I could safely pull over. As I drove, the power to my vehicle had reduced significantly. During this time, the check engine light as well as the traction control light stayed on. After about 20 minutes or so, the lights went off and the car begin to operate without incident. After the day of the initial incident, I had the same problem occur 2 more times on 2 separate occasions. I have had my car since 2011 and I have had no accidents so I am not sure where or why this issue is happening but I am definitely not happy about it. I am also having issues with a knocking noise coming from my glovebox as well as the airbags light keeps coming on. Is there a recall that I am not aware of that affects these issues? if not, what can be done to rectify this problem. I am a proud Chevy owner and would like to remain loyal to Chevy however if I am not able to get some sort of resolution for these problems, I may have to look at going to a different manufacturer.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 232015

Impala 6-cyl

I was struck by a truck that went though a blinking red. He stated he was just pulling out. I saw his vehicle entering the intersection on my right, slowed down and pulled over as far as possible to my left, to the edge of the road and the snow bank. He impacted my passenger side door and front fender, head light and bumper. The air bags did not deploy nor did the onstar auto call for help. I have already been in contact and onstar told me I should have pushed the button. GM said I should have pushed the button but has opened an investigation as to what happened. They have already contacted my auto insurance, who then contacted me for permission to inspect and collect information from my vehicle. Both insurance companies agreed that my car was totaled, over $9,500 in damages without being taken apart or put on a lift. I was taken away by ambulance with injuries to my neck, shoulder and back which I am still recovering from. The other driver was found at fault an received a citation. I called the police from my personal cell phone. I ended up in the er with injuries to my left shoulder, neck and lower back which I am still recovering from.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Oct 132014

Impala 6-cyl

While waiting behind a car at a stop sign I was struck from behind by at Ford F-150. The truck was traveling at approximately 70 mph while I was at a complete stop. After being struck I was thrown into the car in front of me and both were pushed a great distance by the truck. The rear of the car suffered pretty sever damage and was totaled. The truck was completely pushed into the back seat of the car. Items such as phones, laptops, and text books were destroyed mainly from the impact but also the rain. The car shut it self off like it should have, but none of the air bags were deployed. I do not recall if my seat belt had locked up because I have no memory of the actual accident. On-star was also not notified of the accident. I was able to inform them of the accident and call for help, but I lost a connection and was not able to regain the connection. I am suffering from head, neck, shoulder, back, and leg injuries. I have been told by my doctor that I may not recover in my neck and back. There was a police report filed but honestly it inaccurately documented the accident.

- Livingston, LA, USA

Dec 012014

Impala 6-cyl

I was exciting an off ramp when I swerved to avoid another vehicle, completely lost control of vehicle crashed had no brakes and keys will not come out of the ignition. My vehicle is not drivable.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Oct 142014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while making a left hand turn, the steering wheel seized causing another vehicle to crash into the passenger front side. The air bags failed to deploy. The passenger from the other vehicle sustained unknown injuries which required medical attention. It was unknown if a police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Jacksonville , AR, USA

Jan 192013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the driver was traveling at an unknown speed when the vehicle veered off the roadway. The driver attempted to regain control of the vehicle but crashed into a tree. The passenger side air bags did not deploy. A five-year-old child passenger was killed in the crash and two passengers were injured and required medical attention. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical) two weeks after the crash, which advised of a possible air bag failure due to the ignition defect. The failure mileage was not available. The contact did not disclose if a police report was filed or not.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Jan 062015

Impala

TL-the contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact's vehicle causing the contact to loose control and crash into a telephone pole. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and leg that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. Djr

- Heidinsburg, MS, USA

Dec 112014

Impala

Slid on ice into telephone air bags did not deploy. Injuries to face from head hitting windshield.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the brakes failed to engage causing the contact to crash into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the face and the rear passenger sustained minor bruising. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the vehicle was deemed destroyed by the insurance company. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Elk Grove, IL, USA

Dec 082014

- Elk Grove, IL, USA

Mar 042013

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 15 mph, the contact crashed into the driver side of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The front passenger sustained unknown injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Billings , MT, USA