2008 Chevrolet Impala suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 212010

I purchased my 2008 Impala with 28K miles in March 2009-certified used. I had to replace the tires within the first 6 months of ownership ( I was told that GM uses cheap tires. From the outside the tread was fine and it appeared to be in good shape but when it was on the lift the told me they all had metal showing. I paid this car off and gave it to my son in April 2010- he has since changed all 4 tires back tires 3 times. We had them rotated and aligned twice, that is when it was discovered that the tires had worn on the inside again. There is no way to know unless it is on a lift. My son took the Impala to the dealer service yesterday and purchased his 2 tires- it was agreed by service manager that if we took the car there and bought tires from universal that he would put them on, do an alignment and most important install the camber bolt kit at no extra charge. This was also told to Chevy by (the service manager) when they called him. I didn't go with my son to pick up the car- I did however pay the $350 which was the price agreed imagine my complete anger when I found out last night the camber bolt kit was not installed and all that was done 2 new tires and an alignment! I could have done that down the street for less money. I expect GM to do a recall and fix this suspension issues- we have replaced tires 3 times in the last 6 months and aligned 2 times. What kind of nonsense is it to tell my son he doesn't need the kit" after so many complaints of the same issue\GM issued a tsb #08032 for police Impala that are on the same platform and suspension, but never extended that to the public. Seems to me that the rear suspension has an severe defect that can cause tire blowout without warning. No tires should wear like that with less than 17,000 miles without a rear suspension and alignment problem that needs to be recalled for repair and replacement of the parts and tires. Does someone have to die due a defect on the car itself" this has to be fixed for everyone.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 312010

The Chevy Impala seems to be a fine vehicle in for normal, everyday driving. In emergency situations, though, it's handling becomes very unpredictable. I had a car pull out in front of me yesterday, causing me to brake hard. The antilock brakes seemed to work fine, however, the rear end of the car slewed out into another lane even though there was no lockup of the wheels - the car should have tracked straight - I was traveling in a straight ahead manner. This is not the first time I've had the car react in this manner. I did a little research on the car's handling - I noted consumer report's understated summary of the car having "unsettled" handling.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Jul 142009

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact noticed the sidewalls on all four tires were wearing prematurely. The dealer advised there was a design flaw within the struts which was causing the tires to wear prematurely. The rear tires were wearing more rapidly that the front tires. The dealer advised the parts needed to make repairs were not available and would need to be ordered. The contact was awaiting the arrival of the parts needed to make repairs. The failure mileage was 27,000 and the current mileage was 28,000.

- Springdale , AR, USA

Nov 142009

I purchased 2008 Chevy Impala with 22000 miles on it at norman frede in clear lake/houston area. After 6months they suggested tire rotation was needed and due after rotation I noticed car shaking between 20 to 30mph and above 65mph I took it in and it was aligned and I was charged 2months later still shaking was realigned at no charge but before that I had a nail in one of back tires and I had it repaired by a tire shop and they were shocked to see my 4 tires were worn and they showed me, I was so upset I took car in again and theysaid because I had 36,000 miles on it was the reason. Well I took it in again and they told me strut needed to be repaired that's why my tires were all worn and wanted to charge me $150 to repair strut and $400 plus for tires and I said "no" why should I have to pay I hadn't even had the car for a year and this was happening, I was upset and left but before I left they realigned it again and in my service ticket they did not even mention the strut repair. I tried to contact the service manager by email and the general manager, I returned the serv mgr call twice but kept missing her and the gen mgr never called or emailed me. I feel that this is a certified car and I should not have to drive like this or pay for any repairs. Please what can I do.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Feb 222008

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. When driving between 35-40 mph or in inclement weather, it is difficult to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to dealer for inspection. The technician could not identify the cause of the failure, nor provide a remedy. The current and failure mileages were unknown. The vehicle identification number was unavailable. Updated 12/30/09 the consumer stated since the repairs were done, the vehicle tracks properly on ice. The alignment was out and rear camber and toe was out of specs. Updated 12/31/09.

- Pillager, MN, USA

Nov 112008

I got this 2008 Impala in Nov.2007. It has a vibration that starts about 37mph through 47mph. And at 75mph it is worst. The dealer rebalanced the tires, I went back and the tires were rebalanced again. Service manager told me that they all have this vibration. I called Chevrolet motor division, talked to 3 different people, the last person said they were not going to change the tires, and it was normal of that car. This is not normal for any car. This car 2,300 miles on it. I want this fixed, and I'm stuck with it.

- Kentwood, MI, USA