2009 Chevrolet Impala brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

2009 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 032014

Impala 6-cyl

Service traction control message along with reduced engine power message. Car jerked/hesitated upon stopping and starting at intersection. Reduced speed automatically and couldnt speed up.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Apr 072014

Impala 6-cyl

In April 2013, the traction control and ABS warning light began coming on, in my 2009 Impala, when making a left turn. The lights began to come on more frequently and would stay on for longer times. I took the car to the dealer but they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. The problem has been an ongoing problem since I purchased this vehicle.the lights would stay on for a longer period of time. The problem has not been fixing by the dealer. But they keep charging me $100 per visit.

- Quincy, FL, USA

Mar 032014

Impala 6-cyl

Service traction control comes up and reduce engine power. Never had any prior issues with my vehicle until now. Just got it back from the dealership today and having to take it back tomorrow because the same thing occurred again. I need this issue resolved and am not the only on that has had this issue. I need my vehicle fixed and do not feel that I should have to pay for a manufacturing issue.

- Eufaula, AL, USA

Jan 062012

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala I purchased in 2010 and the traction control light keeps coming on and the reduced engine power is also coming on during this time. I have read online where people have crashed from this I feel Chevrolet needs to do a recall. I live in atlanta and if my car reduces speed while I'm on 285 this could potentially cause I very bad crash.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Feb 102014

Impala 6-cyl

What happened is the vehicle traction control triggered and reduced the cars functionality and speed. It cleared itself, but what concerns me is this problem is prevalent in GM Chevrolet vehicles ranging from 2005 to 2011. It is listed many times here in your data base to your organization. Our lives and safety are involved here. Focusing on charging a fee to do an investigation is deplorable. Lives are at stake here. This should not be another american after the fact occurrence or event. What happened to proactive responsibility. These american car makers produce junk cars and the consumer constantly get stiffed with lemons. States lemon laws? nothing but american lemons are rolling off of the production lines. You think, this may be why other countries will not buy our products. There is no reliability in what is produced or manufactured and the customer service is lip service. Non - existent with these car dealers and pure sales rhetoric. Your site reads: The information you provide will be used to identify potential safety-related defects or determine the adequacy of existing safety recalls. I can't afford the repairs, pay for an investigation as well. I am not pleased with how the ball keeps getting passed or dropped. NHTSA these poorly produced weapons weigh tons. Rolling down the poorly maintained highways and streets of this country endangering us all life and limb. My vehicle has the same problem with the traction control that forces my car to brake, pull to the right and slow enough to endanger my well being. I'm truly scared and concerned here and the repairs and code lights aren't reliable. Only the repair shops are winning. The problem keeps repeating after thousands are spent to keep the car running. I need this car for work. If it cant get me there then they will come and take the junk back I am trying to maintain. Thank you

- Tracy, CA, USA

May 152013

Impala

I am having similar issues as everyone else, when driving on the freeway, I was going about 70 mph and than my service traction control light came on followed by engine power reduced with the mil light, the car speed immediately decreased to about 50 mph, no accident occurred, pulled over and let it sit for awhile than restarted it. It is intermittent and occurs randomly. It is safety concern as this can cause an accident. The air bag light also comes off and on, I had taken to Chevy dealer and was advised the air bag sensor needed to be replaced, was about $500 in work, and it was not covered under my extended warranty. I am not able to afford the repair so I am driving in a vehicle where if their is an accident, the air bags will not deploy.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Impala

Stability/traction control system activates for no reason. This causes a spontaneous major reduction in engine power. This happened while passing a semi-tractor trailer on an interstate. Fortunately, I was able to get to the side of the road and stop. Shutting the engine off for several minutes apparently allowed the system to reset. This has happened about a dozen times since. Had I been passing on a 2-lane road, it very likely could have caused a head-on collision.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Dec 112013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving down hwy 50 on a clear dry day and the engine lite comes on with the traction control warning, saying engine power reduced. Then the power shut off including the steering causing me to pull the car off into the dirt off the freeway. Due to this my front bumper got cracked. This problem is now a re-occurring problem.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Jun 072013

Impala 6-cyl

Driving 65 on freeway car slows down to 40 check engine light says service traction control.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Dec 052013

Impala

I started my car and the check engine light and the service traction control lights both came on. My back tires then began to spin when driving and the car made a scary noise.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 112013

Impala

I was at a stop sign and the reduced engine power, check traction control lights came on. The code came up I had it checked it is the accelerator pedal position sensor this can be a very dangerous occurrence.NHTSA please look at these complaints it is a 75 dollar part and labor of 4 hours.im paying for part and doing myself I need some reimbursement or payment of this to shop.

- Millington, TN, USA

Oct 082013

Impala 6-cyl

This is the 1st time I am filing a complaint, but this complaint has happened multiple times! my wife is afraid to drive this car! my check engine and traction control light comes on. The dash alternates between "service traction control" and "reduced engine power." This is really frightening on the interstate when the engine begins to reduce power and you are surrounded by fast moving vehicles. The fault has been checked multiple times, but the diagnostic check reveals bogus faults unrelated to the traction control fault. I have learned that when this happens, I need to pull off the road, turn off the ignition, open the door and wait for the dome light to go off. Then I can restart and go on my way. This happens about once per month and has done it for 2 years. Can't wait until I can afford to buy a different vehicle. I have talked with other Chevrolet owners and they experience this same fault, but nothing is wrong with the traction control.

- Wytheville, VA, USA

Sep 122013

Impala

I was driving on city streets and my check engine and traction control light came on. The dash alternated between "service traction control" and "reduced engine power." Yes the engine power was reduced but I was still able to drive in the city.

- Germantown, WI, USA

Aug 242013

Impala

I was driving through a hilly/ curvy area of road when my reduced engine power, traction control, and throttle body disabled message popped up. Just then I have no power, no brakes and no steering, at all! I almost crashed with my two kids in the car! upon looking up this issue I find that it is a very common issue in Impala. Some people have had this issue while passing cars, or the freeways and more. To me this is quite a safety concern since you have no power to do anything...nothing at all. I don't see how there is still no recall on this issue when there are so many reported problems and a huge safety risk!!

- Fort Gratiot, MI, USA

Jul 242013

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while turning, the traction control warning light illuminated as the vehicle independently decelerated. The vehicle was not diagnosed and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

May 062013

Impala 6-cyl

About 2 weeks ago my service traction control light appeared on the dash. Being the person that I am I was very concerned with this issue and took it to have it checked by the dealership. They told me that this will occasionally come on with the amount of rain we had in our area.they said when it has the opportunity to dry out it will go off. Well to date it has not gone off but stays on the majority of the time. Now it is having fun with the reduce power light which basically slows down the car. Not only are the flip flopping but when I push the brakes it sometimes acts as if it will catch but then let go and catch again. How scary is this when you feel your brakes will not stop the car" this is not a good feeling. Called the dealership to get an appointment and it will cost me $85 to $100 to have this put on a machine to see what the problem is. And get this just like everyone else this is not a covered problem. My question is why" I have tried very hard to stick with Chevrolet products but this is really making me rethink my decision. Everyone seems to be having the same issues with these alerts and sensors. I am not one to sink a whole lot of money into a car with repairs, I will get rid of it immediately. I maintain my car on a regular basis.

- Conway, SC, USA

Apr 072013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph, the traction control and check engine warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle had not been taken to the dealer. The failure and current mileage was 62,000. Updated 06/17/13

- Walton, NY, USA

Jan 252013

Impala

"service traction control message came on, the check engine light came on & engine power will be reduced message came on". the cars speed dropped down to about 40mph & would hardly go. I didn't know what was going on. It really scared me because I thought my car was going to cut off. I did get to work safely but I am terrified to drive this car. Me and my 12 yr old was on a 4 lane when it just cut off after receiving this error message. I travel alot and and scared when this message appears!!

- Cobb, GA, USA

Feb 122013

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala lt & was driving aproximately 50mph down the road when all of a sudden the "service traction control message came on, the check engine light came on & engine power will be reduced message came on". the cars speed dropped down to about 40mph & would hardly go. I didn't know what was going on. It really scared me because I thought my car was going to cut off. I did get to work safely but I am terrified to drive this car. I searched message boards on the internet & came across 297 messages from other people who own GM vehicles that this has happened to. A couple of people said their cars actually cut off on them while going down the highway at a high rate of speed. One was involved in an accident. The problem from what I have read has something to do with the accelerator pedal position sensor or throttle body. From what I have read GM knows about this problem but has not done a recall on this. A couple of people posted that their local Chevy dealership covered the repair even though their cars were no longer under warranty. I called my local Chevy dealership and they told me that they couldn't do anything about it. They said that I would have to pay for repairs myself. To me, this is unacceptable. I could have a wreck & get killed or kill someone else. I don't understand why a company would clearly know about a problem with their vehicles and do nothing about it. I think that GM should cover the repairs to my vehicle and to any others that are having this problem.

- East Bend, NC, USA

Sep 242012

Impala 6-cyl

As I was driving to golf on Monday September 24th, on interstate I-80 heading West, my 2009 Chevy Impala onboard computer stated the following, service traction control, reduced power, starter disabled and the check engine light all at roughly the same time. My car completely died and I had no power steering. Luckily I was able to coast out of harms way and get to the side of the road. I checked some wires under the hood and didn't find anything loose. When I attempted to start the car back-up, the onboard computer flashed, starter disabled. I sat with the car for about 15 minutes and tried once more. This time it started and ran normal, but the check engine like was on(still is). How scary is this really? enough to make me hate driving this car anywhere. Not to mention I'm a single dad of 4, who needs to get to work, school and many other things.

- Bennington, NE, USA