2.0

2009 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

2009 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 192014

Impala 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving approx. 55 mph when the service traction control and engine power reduced warning light came on. I felt the car power down some and made it home safely. After reading the complaints here, I am scared to drive my car. This is the car I drive my kids in everyday. There is obviously a problem here and a recall needs to be issued. I have my car serviced regularly so I am not a neglectful car owner.

- Mayville, MI, USA

Apr 152012

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 80 mph, the vehicle shifted gears independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Vulcan, MI, USA

Nov 152013

Impala 6-cyl

I went to a store and when I came back out to leave it wouldn't shift out of park. So, to get it out of park I have to reach into the console from the passenger side to push the release button while it's in neutral with the emergency brake on. I have had to do this every time I use the car. It's a safety concern to be laying down in my passenger side--no matter where I'm at, to get my car into gear so I can get to work, etc. I see by other websites that this is a routine problem with this make and model of car. Apparently the wires are not made well enough to withstand a few thousand miles of use.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 242014

Impala 6-cyl

Upon starting and attempting to back out of my garage to go to work, the release button on the floor mounted gearshift lever would not depress, thereby preventing me from shifitng into reverse, let alone drive if I was successful in backing out of the garage. Here is the description on my receipt for repair: "inspected loss of power at shifter at R.T.S.I. solenoid - (previously repaired ground circuit 1135 green voltage supply broke at connector) - nec to replace complete connector and harness and route correctly -- grid# 013, doc id#'s 1912937, 2417697" this is the second time I've had this issue. The dealer took care of me appropriately each time. However, I see that other owners of Impala are experiencing the same problem via the internet. I sure would appreciate it if it was looked into. I'd hate to see any body have this problem in a not too friendly area, let alone my spouse. Thank you.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jun 112014

Impala

Last night, I started up my car and immediately the car started to shudder pretty hard. My car started chiming and a service traction control showed up on my dash, followed by an engine power reduced. The light indicator for my tc was lit. I immediately turned the car off and tried to restart it. The same thing happened again. I turned it off and waited 2 minutes before restarting. It started fine, with no bad indications. The car also drove normally. A few hours later as I was starting home, it happened again. My car was still parked as before when the indications showed up. Shut off and restarted and it cleared out. No problem once I started driving. This morning was no different. So far, this only has happened when I was starting my car up. I have been fortunate that this hasn't happened to me while the car was in motion- yet. Other people with this problem haven't been so fortunate. There has been no bad weather at all. Dry as a bone. I bought this car in 2010 knowing it used to be a rental. I have had no problems with it until now. I took my car into my Chevy dealership, who thought it might be the throttle body sensor. They are ordering the part in, but I'm still skeptical if that is really what is causing it. I have heard the sensor on the hub assembly could cause this, as well as the accelerator pedal sensor. From reading multiple forums, many owners have had scary experiences with the car decelerating on freeways or other dangerous places that could result in wrecks and personal harm. They had taken their cars in multiple times and shelled out thousands trying to fix this phantom ghost problem. Frankly I am amazed there has been no recall for this. I am moving to ca, and I'm driving there by myself in less than two weeks. I can't have my car try to do me in right now, nor do I have endless amounts of cash to fix a mech's guess. Warranty does not cover this.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Apr 012014

Impala 6-cyl

While driving, service traction control will come on along with the engine light, and they flicker on and off, and cause the car to jerk, the locks to relock, my fuel gauge to go out of place, and sometimes cause the car to turn off. I have taken my car to an actual Chevrolet dealership, but they stated that there was nothing wrong with the car because they tried and no problems were diagnosed when they used the scan tool. I don't know what to do. Some people say that it may have something to do with my transmission; others say that it is something electrical; while others say that a wire is not connecting or is touching something. One dealer stated that this is happen in all 2007-2012 Impala once they hit a certain miles.

- Irving , TX, USA

May 282014

Impala 6-cyl

We own the car listed above and have for over two years. We bought it at a dealership in East Tennessee. The car was previously used as a rent a car for enterprise. Not even a year after we bought the vehicle we had to replace the transmission. The biggest problem is the fact I have drove this car and all issues stated for a recall we have had a problem with. The most recent is the vehicle shutting off while driving it on highways. It's is saying service engine light mad than will say service traction control, than it will shutoff I been going 70 down an interstate and it shutoff mad about kill us. We had the vehicle checked and the accelerator pedal sensor or something like that is the problem by what technician say. I am just now starting to research the issues we have and found numerous recalls on this vehicle in which we have the problems listed above and more. Mainly the airbag steering control arm and vehicle just shutting off. I guess the best way to sum it up is they sold us a lemon perhaps but after looking at the recall list our vehicle meets the requirements for sure. Too many problems for a new vehicle. Just looking to take care of the problem before the car injures us or someone else on the highways. Hope this doesn't take long to get resolved because deaths could occur. Thanks for your time hope to speak with someone soon before it's too late. I mean I thought something major was wrong but the automd website really assured what we been thinking. Thanks for your time.

- Wartburg, TN, USA

Mar 042013

Impala 6-cyl

I'm tried of my doors not locking with key fob and both rear doors and sometimes passenger side would not lock. This problem have been occurring since April 2013 and today May 2014 it's still happening.I attempted to lock from inside vehicle and would still not lock or unlock. I have to maneuver walk around the car and lock the doors individual. Each time I take the car to the dealer they are telling me that this is not covered part. When I purchased this vehicle they claimed they conducted a full vehicle check. I think they lied and they car was never checked. Why do us as customer buy warrants and the warrant don"T cover electrical power. Is this a electrical problem? what can be done to prevent this problem"

- Quincy, FL, USA

May 052014

Impala 8-cyl

Car turned off by its self while driving. Luckily had enough momentum to park it. When I stopped I placed the vehicle in park and the key was stuck in the ignition and the shifter would not move. I contact my Chevy dealership and asked if this was a safety recall. It was not. I don't know why this is not a recall. Having your car stop while driving is incredibly dangerous. Considering that my powersteering and brakes went out on me. I came out of this without injury but I what if someone was going around a curve or driving in dangerous conditions. I really hope Chevy takes responsibility for this and recall or in my case reimburse owners.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 202014

Impala 6-cyl

Was driving down the highway and then all of a sudden the traction light came on then I lost complete power while on the interstate going at a speed of 70mph. I was in the far left lane and had coming traffic behind me. The car completely shut down causing me to lose all power almost rear ended and trying to make my way over cutting in front of cars so that I would not be in the middle of the expressway with on coming traffic. Was able to make over to the median and thought it was something else. So then I waited there for 20 min until my friend arrived to help me and the car cranked up and drove like nothing was wrong. So I started driving again and within 45 it happened again. I waited a few mins and it cranked up. About a week or two later it happened again and has been happening more. I don't make much money and don't have it to take to a mechanic and its my only source of transportation. Please let me know if this is something that has a recall. I have seen and read this happening to other cars im wondering if they missed a year or something.

- Covington , GA, USA

Mar 032014

Impala 6-cyl

Service traction control comes up and reduce engine power. Never had any prior issues with my vehicle until now. Just got it back from the dealership today and having to take it back tomorrow because the same thing occurred again. I need this issue resolved and am not the only on that has had this issue. I need my vehicle fixed and do not feel that I should have to pay for a manufacturing issue.

- Eufaula, AL, USA

Jan 182014

Impala 6-cyl

I had came to a stop at four way intersection. When it was my time to proceed my Impala would not move at first try, after a second try I was able to proceed with little momentum and then it jerked forward with out any additional gas peddle movement. This has happen before but not to this degree.

- Zebulon, AL, USA

Nov 292010

Impala 6-cyl

Let me try again....I was driving on the expressway, at 55 mph, when the check engine and traction control warning lights came on, along with the reduced engine power warning. I took it into the dealer, where I bought it in Aug. 2009. I can't remember when this problem started & how many times prior, because the warning lights would go out, without any reduced engine power warning or reduced power. I thought it was one of what is called a computer glitches. It was at this time when I did get reduced engine power, when I knew I had to take it into the dealer. On Nov.29,2010, the accelerator pedal was replaced......on Jan.05, 2011, I brought it back and was charged only half of the rate for mech. Diagnosis fee, because I argued so much, that the car is still under warranty, and they have not repaired the same initial problem. I left the car with them to drive, they drove it 28 miles without any problems. On Jan.06,2011, mileage was 38727, they replaced the throttle body assembly, N/C. I think it was at this time, I was told to return the car, without shutting the engine off, which is what I did. On Feb.05,2011, mileage was 39831, where they replaced a a.I.R. vent valve....I have changed living locations last spring....meaning there might be more times that it was brought in.....my memory is telling me that the both warning lights were coming on and off last year, and now more frequent, with slight reduced engine power...81000 miles

- Henrietta, NY, USA

Dec 272013

Impala 8-cyl

While my wife was driving (with my three kids as passengers) at highway speeds the message was displayed in the dashboard "reduced engine power" and "service traction control" messages were displayed. The vehicle immediately last power and the speed was reduced to less than 30 mph, while on the highway. She was able to navigate to the shoulder and call me for assistance. By the time I got there and started the engine it was running normally except for the "service engine soon" light was lit. I took it to the nearest Chevrolet dealership who immediately stated it was a faulty electronic throttle control and would cost $580 to replace. I searched on-line and found dozens of complaints exactly like this one for 2008-2012 model Impala'. there is not a recall on this problem so the customers are getting charged to fix this faulty Chevrolet device. Someone is going to get killed if they do not recall this device.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 122013

Impala

While driving my 2009 Chevrolet Impala in a 55 mph zone, a series of warnings appeared on the dash: Engine power reduced, service stabilitrak, check engine. Immediately the car would not accelerate, and speed decreased to about 10 mph.

- Dover, DE, USA

Oct 052013

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact had to turn off the traction control and engine light in order to operate the vehicle however, the problem recurred again. The vehicle had not been taken to the dealer or an independent mechanic. The vehicle had not been diagnosed. The manufacturer had not been aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Lapeer, MI, USA

Sep 122013

Impala

I was driving on city streets and my check engine and traction control light came on. The dash alternated between "service traction control" and "reduced engine power." Yes the engine power was reduced but I was still able to drive in the city.

- Germantown, WI, USA

Sep 102013

Impala 6-cyl

Today must of been a record for how many times my Impala shut itself off! I lost count at about 20 times! im over a hundred miles away from home at my parents house and on my attempt to get home the Impala wouldn't let me drive more than 10 minutes. Because of this I have now had to call off work and am out of a days wage because I made the mistake of buying this car. I have no money and cant get this fixed for awhile but it seems that I may have to chose between eating this month or fixing this so I guess ill just go hungry. I've been searching this site for other year Impala and it seems that every single year is having this issue, even the 2014 models! this has made me reach the conclusion that the NHTSA doesn't really care about our safety nor do they attempt to solve any problems based on how many times this complaint gets reported and does anything ever happen!? the answer is no! so im basically writing this to inform others who plan on getting an Impala, please for the safety of yourself, those around you, and your wallet don't! this is my last GM car I will ever purchase! not that GM really cares because they already got my $60,000 for my last 3 cars so this problem will never get recalled, nor will this website attempt to provide any type of help so save yourself the headache and buy foreign.

Aug 312013

Impala 6-cyl

After just clearing the onboard computer with my obd2 scanner just a few minutes before it happened again. After sitting at another stoplight I proceeded into my left turn and as I'm coming into the lane my Impala died midway through the intersection as it changed from yellow to red leaving me in the intersection as the cross traffic began to go almost creating a head on collision and a multiple vehicle collision. Can a recall please be in effect for this! its to the point to where I'm afraid to drive my car to work! I'd rather walk the 20 miles to work then be in this unsafe GM car!

Aug 312013

Impala 6-cyl

While sitting at a stop light the information panel said reduced engine power as the light turned green. I held up numerous cars as I scanned the obd2 port to clear the code, once again the code read P0601. Cleared it and it started right up.