2009 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

2009 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Nov 012013

Impala

While driving on the freeway the engine reduce power light came on and seconds later the car lost power. This has happen several times. Today 1/30/14 this has happened 4 times. This is a safety hazard! I've seen several complaints about this issue, people are spending hundreds of dollars thinking the issue is being fixed and the problem is never fixed. At this point it looks like 100 of people will have to lose their life before a recall takes place. As a single parent (my children's only living parent) this issue shake me to my soul!

- Garland, TX, USA

Jun 072013

Impala 6-cyl

Driving 65 on freeway car slows down to 40 check engine light says service traction control.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Dec 272013

Impala 8-cyl

While my wife was driving (with my three kids as passengers) at highway speeds the message was displayed in the dashboard "reduced engine power" and "service traction control" messages were displayed. The vehicle immediately last power and the speed was reduced to less than 30 mph, while on the highway. She was able to navigate to the shoulder and call me for assistance. By the time I got there and started the engine it was running normally except for the "service engine soon" light was lit. I took it to the nearest Chevrolet dealership who immediately stated it was a faulty electronic throttle control and would cost $580 to replace. I searched on-line and found dozens of complaints exactly like this one for 2008-2012 model Impala'. there is not a recall on this problem so the customers are getting charged to fix this faulty Chevrolet device. Someone is going to get killed if they do not recall this device.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 122013

Impala

While driving my 2009 Chevrolet Impala in a 55 mph zone, a series of warnings appeared on the dash: Engine power reduced, service stabilitrak, check engine. Immediately the car would not accelerate, and speed decreased to about 10 mph.

- Dover, DE, USA

Dec 052013

Impala 6-cyl

My issue was that I was four months into driving my new 2009 Chevy Impala and while driving on the highway going about 60 mph my car showed flashing signal reading "engine reduced speed" "check stabilitrack " and my check engine was on. The car then stopped accelerating and dropped to 45 mph immediately. I was nearly rear ended with my son in the car. After researching and hearing complaints about GM and how they are not taking responsibility of this safety issue and actuality charging people to fix their defect. Their are numerous blogs and videos proving this. Examples: Show over 23,000 drivers with the same issue www.youtube.com/watch"V=_hp4ngkg2bs : www.youtube.com/watch"V=iagzhyb3gho thank god it does not look like any fatalities have occurred as of yet but who knows. Please don't let someone get injured or lose their life to take notice to this. GM thinks injury or lose of life = $222. I am in contact with a law firm in hopes of a class action.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Apr 172013

Impala 6-cyl

At about 60,000 miles, my 2009 Chevy Impala has an issue with the service traction control and then reduce engine power. I have read it is the throttle body and not covered under the extended warranty.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 022013

Impala 6-cyl

When I pressed down on my accelerator pedal (speed limit was increasing from 50mph to 65mph), a message of "starting disabled. Service throttle" came up on the dash. The accelerator pedal and steering wheel completely locked up and the car started to decelerate. I was able to force the steering wheel in order to turn onto a side street (narrowly avoiding a car stopped in the left lane to turn) and park the vehicle in a location out of the main lane of traffic. Had this side street not been there at that exact moment, the possibility of a crash would be very likely as steering was unresponsive and I may have been rear-ended due to the sudden loss of engine power.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Oct 112013

Impala

I was at a stop sign and the reduced engine power, check traction control lights came on. The code came up I had it checked it is the accelerator pedal position sensor this can be a very dangerous occurrence.NHTSA please look at these complaints it is a 75 dollar part and labor of 4 hours.im paying for part and doing myself I need some reimbursement or payment of this to shop.

- Millington, TN, USA

Sep 132013

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph in cruise control, the vehicle began to stall. The vehicle also failed to increase speed when the contact depressed the accelerator pedal. The contact stated that the fuel gauge also failed simultaneously. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident and informed the contact that the vehicle was not listed under any recalls. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Lebannon, TN, USA

Aug 292013

Impala

I was driving down the highway, and the traction control light came on and the reduced engine power light came on. I drove a few miles further going about 65 miles and hour, and the engine died in the middle of the highway. I had to pull the car off the road with no power steering (I was still rolling thanks to momentum) so I wouldn't get hit by another car. After I sat on the side of the road for a few minutes, I was able to start it again and drive it about 10 miles back home. Our repairman said the throttle motor signal came up when he plugged it in to the computer, so we spent the $280 to replace it. It worked fine for about 4 days, and then the traction light and and reduced engine power light came on again a few days ago. We've got it in the shop again and are waiting for the news as to what it is this time.

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

Aug 242013

Impala

I was driving through a hilly/ curvy area of road when my reduced engine power, traction control, and throttle body disabled message popped up. Just then I have no power, no brakes and no steering, at all! I almost crashed with my two kids in the car! upon looking up this issue I find that it is a very common issue in Impala. Some people have had this issue while passing cars, or the freeways and more. To me this is quite a safety concern since you have no power to do anything...nothing at all. I don't see how there is still no recall on this issue when there are so many reported problems and a huge safety risk!!

- Fort Gratiot, MI, USA

Aug 082013

Impala 6-cyl

This the second time this has happened. Wife was driving down the freeway when traction control and check engine lights came on. Car went into reduced power mode and finally died while still moving. Lost power steering and finally brought car to a stop on left inside of expressway. After a short time she was able to restart the car and limp home. Note that the cruise control was on, but I do not know if it was set. Had the codes read that indicated a throttle position sensor caused the fault. There are two sensors which have to agree and if they don't car will go into reduced power mode. When she got home I found only the check engine light on. I have in the past moved the wires on the brake fluid sensor to get the check engine light to go off. Not knowing exactly how all of these different systems are tied together, I tend to think that the cars computer is the problem which sets off all the different warning lights on the dash. I went to the Chevy dealership and the service advisor asked if this was a recall issue. I thought this was some what strange. After reading complaints on the net I can see why she might have thought it was a recall issue. The throttle body part is $300 dollars plus labor rate of $105/hr. As of now I cannot find any recalls for this issue. NHTSA needs to look at this problem because the loss of steering with all systems due to motor stalling while in motion is a hazard to everyone.

- Hudson Oaks, TX, USA

Aug 082013

Impala

Was driving around 65 when out of no where the check engine light and traction control light came on and the reduce to power message started flashing on the dash it dropped my speed down from 65 to like 20 while on the freeway.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 312013

Impala

I am having problems with my 2009 Chevy Impala, it started at 43K, the acceleration pedal was changed when the reduced engine power/service traction control came on. Then again at 100K same problem, this time the dealership told me it was a bad throttle position sensor, the throttle body needed to be changed. I changed it, but it came back again less then 3K miles. I replaced the throttle body again. 3K later same thing. The problem is when it is raining the throttle sensors go nuts. I took the car to advance auto and read the codes, same as before, P0121, P2176, throttle position sensor. Once in a while you can remove the batter lines and unplug the throttle body and mass air flow sensor to get it to restart. Other times you have to go to advance or autozone to clear the codes in order to get it to run long enough for a sunny day. I had one occurrence were the car would not start and it said service throttle position. The throttle sensor needs to be recalled before someone get killed. I have renamed my car to the Ford Impala. Found on the road dead Impala.

- Winamac, IN, USA

Apr 242013

Impala 6-cyl

While merging onto a two lane highway my Impala suddenly lost power and I received a "low engine power" warning and then " service traction control" the check engine light comes on and the car runs roughly at reduced power - you need to pull over and shut the car off until you can start it again. This is a very dangerous issue that GM refuses to acknowledge. In this instance I had my daughter in the car - I also lost the power brakes. I have been to two Chevrolet dealers and a Buick dealer because this has happened several times over the past year and a half. They replaced my throttle body, oil sensor, battery and something else and charged me over $2000 for the three visits and I am still experiencing the issue. I have also been to a local repair shop and had the wiring harness changed and had several diagnostics done. After all this the problem still exists. I normally don't write letters but, this is a very dangerous situation and many others are experiencing the same thing based on the message boards I have read. My concern is that GM refused to help or issue a recall. My fear is that someone gets seriously hurt or killed before GM answers for this. This is not good for GM. My hope is that someone finally addresses this issue before someone is killed. In my last communication with GM - I was told to take my car to a dealer for a diagnostic at my own expense. So, basically I am on my own and they offered to do nothing. Just not right!

- Scituate, MA, USA

Jul 152013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the accelerator pedal position sensor failed and called the vehicle to slow down to 40 mph. The contact stated that the traction control light illuminated on the instrument when the failure occurred. The sending unit was replaced and the vehicle began to perform normally. The dealer informed the contact this was a known problem. The failure and current mileage was 81,506.

- Cuyahoga Fals , OH, USA

Jul 052013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving and the message loosing engine power and stability control system started flashing. The car started slowing down and I couldn't steer. I had someone look at it and they told me what was wrong. I also looked online and saw the many complaints and GM is aware. I parked the car until I am able to have it serviced. The issue seems to be a accelerator sensor switch malfunction. If I was going at a faster speed or was on the highway this could have cause an accident. I called GM and they stated they see no reported issues.

- Norristown, PA, USA

May 242013

Impala 6-cyl

The first time my engine control lights turned on was when I was backing up out of a parking space. As time went by the lights started to come on continuosly. The lights kept telling me to service traction control. Then the check engine light came on. I then took my car into friendly Chevy in Minnesota. They did 3000 dollars worth the work and never fixed the problem I went in for.the lights are still coming on and it scares the life out of me.. I paid 9,000 for it. Also put in $3000 into it for repairs. What a piece of junk. I tried to take it back but they said there was nothing I could do about it except trade it in for $3000 less then what I paid for it.absolutely unacceptable!!! I will never buy another Chevrolet again. Terrible service.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Jun 042013

Impala

Alarm came on that read service traction control - engine power reduced. I was trying to pass a semi-trailer with another car directly behind me. The engine suddenly went dead and another alarm read starting disabled. There was nothing I could do. If the car behind me had not noticed my car rolling to a stop I would have been rear ended and sent into the truck. This is a serious life-threatening situation and it needs to be addressed immediately.

- Ames, IA, USA

May 262013

Impala 6-cyl

I recently purchased a Chevrolet Impala ltz 2009 model a few months ago and it has 82,000 on it. While driving on the highway my check engine light came on. It said that I had a bad accelerator sensor. Followed by a flashing light that said my car had reduced engine speed. I have looked up many times about this issue with my car and many other people have had problems with a bad gas pedal. GM knows and I'm confused as to why they never asked for a recall on this.

- Mansfield, TX, USA