2009 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

2009 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Apr 292013

Impala 6-cyl

While accelerating after a stop at a red light the throttle lost responsiveness. The check engine light came on and three messages appeared on the dash board display. 1. 'service stabilitrack' 2. 'traction control malfunction' followed by 3. 'reduced engine power'. vehicle would not accelerate beyond 40mph. I was on a down ramp heading toward a highway with no breakdown lane available. Very dangerous situation. Next morning I brought the vehicle into a local Chevrolet dealer and code P2138 revealed "accelerator pedal/sensor failure." Repair cost $265. Many other Chevrolet owners complain of this same issue and the dangerous situation the acceleration loss causes. Please see this blog with dozens of others complaining of this same issue.

- Salem, NH, USA

Apr 102013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving 55mph 4/10/2013 then I go down to 40 and message sensor says engine low pressure or something like that so I took it to auto zone and they said throttle sensor make the check engine light come on now 4/27/2013 the light came on again now they saying the pedal sensor and the low engine pressure check engine light is on again.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 012013

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder and restarted. The vehicle resumed normal function then the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the throttle control sensor had failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Underwood, IA, USA

Oct 062012

Impala 6-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate all of a sudden I feel the vehicle slow down and the message center displays "traction control off" "engine power reduced". I was traveling about 65mph at the time however to maintain that speed after this happened I had to press the gas pedal further. The stabilitrak light stayed on for a days also.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Mar 082013

Impala 6-cyl

Driving about 25mph on feeder, engine reduced speed without any warning. Then panel showed traction control and engine reduced speed. I was thankful I was going home. Terrified experience. Checked online. Other people bad the same experience and almost costing lives because of claims the engine stops also without warning. Everyone said from acceleration pedal. Why was this not recalled and I'm having to take the car to a shop. I called a dealer but didn't offer much assistance. This is dangerous!

- Channelview, TX, USA

Feb 122013

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala lt & was driving aproximately 50mph down the road when all of a sudden the "service traction control message came on, the check engine light came on & engine power will be reduced message came on". the cars speed dropped down to about 40mph & would hardly go. I didn't know what was going on. It really scared me because I thought my car was going to cut off. I did get to work safely but I am terrified to drive this car. I searched message boards on the internet & came across 297 messages from other people who own GM vehicles that this has happened to. A couple of people said their cars actually cut off on them while going down the highway at a high rate of speed. One was involved in an accident. The problem from what I have read has something to do with the accelerator pedal position sensor or throttle body. From what I have read GM knows about this problem but has not done a recall on this. A couple of people posted that their local Chevy dealership covered the repair even though their cars were no longer under warranty. I called my local Chevy dealership and they told me that they couldn't do anything about it. They said that I would have to pay for repairs myself. To me, this is unacceptable. I could have a wreck & get killed or kill someone else. I don't understand why a company would clearly know about a problem with their vehicles and do nothing about it. I think that GM should cover the repairs to my vehicle and to any others that are having this problem.

- East Bend, NC, USA

Jul 012012

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala that I purchased in 2010. Several months later, the car began to read check engine, service traction control, reduced engine power, then stalls and jerks while I'm driving. It happens intermittently. I took it to autozone to have them check the computer code. They said it was the accelerator pedal position sensor. The car only has about 50,000 miles on it. I am planning O taking it to the dealership because it is happening more often and I am afraid that I will have an accident as a result of this problem.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Oct 152012

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on my 2009 Impala, I was already concerned because the car had the reduced power engine and traction control enabled display. When all of a sudden I get a message saying disable throttle body and the star felt like it was going to stop. The good thing I was on the slow lane so I was able to pull over. I don't understand why my car is doing this and why GM is not issuing a recall to fix this problem. They probably need someone to die so that they can take this serious.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Sep 222012

Impala 6-cyl

While traveling on I-95 at about 75mph, the following message appeared on the dash, " repair traction control system... engine power is reducing". thankfully, I was approaching a rest area, so I safely coasted to a secure area. After escaping a potentially fatal accident, I researched this traction control message, only to discover innumerable customers had the same problem. This issue should be investigated since it is a universal problem, one that is endangering the lives of GM and other drivers on the highway.

- Hamptonc, SC, USA

Jul 172012

While driving the car through a parking lot at roughly 10-15 mph the check engine light came on. As it was displaying the message for what needed to be checked the service traction control, service stabilitrak, and engine power reduced messages came on. I have been online and check forum after forum about it and have found hundreds of posts about the same issue in the same vehicles. Wondering eugene GM will be forced to issue a recall and publicly address this issue.

- Norfolk, NE, USA

Jun 012012

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate when I rec'd the following messages: Service traction control and reduced engine power. The engine light and the traction control lights also came on. I was able to go approx 50-55 mph. I was very lucky that I was near an exit. As I was exiting, a message came on telling me that the power was being turned off or stopped. I can't remember the exact words. I then had no ability to accelerate and my only option was to pull off the side of the road. Even though I was able to pull off the side, it was not in a safe place and traffic was going by at the speed of 55-60 mph and I was barely over the white line. I called a tow truck, and had it towed to my mechanic. This happened at 4:15 on a Friday afternoon. My mechanic didn't look at it until Monday and could not find anything wrong with it. He drove it all over and he checked everything he could think of. I trust this mechanic. He did say that he was afraid he would have to send me to the dealer to have it looked at. I came home, googled the problems and ended up at in a forum for Chevy owners with this issue. While no one was hurt this time, that is just a blessing. How many people will need to be hurt, maimed or even killed before they issue a recall and do something about a problem that is very obvious. How much money and time will I spend taking this to a dealer who doesn't know about the problem and won't diagnose it correctly the first time? America wants americans to buy american made products. I owned a foreign vehicle for 9 years and it never left me stranded the way this Chevrolet Impala did after owning it for 7 months! I think it is past time something was done. For those of us who have the problem now and for those who are out there just waiting for this to happen to them. Safety should come first!

- Farr West, UT, USA

May 102012

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the reduced power warning light illuminated on the instrument as the vehicle decelerated independently until stalling. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was told that the throttle sensor failed and had to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 107,000.

- Pulaski, WI, USA

Oct 182010

All Chevrolet Impala dating back to 2002-2009 have problems with their traction control systems. The engine power is reduced and the vehicle slows immediately. This problem has been ignored by Chevrolet since 2002. Fortunately, no one has been killed. Chevrolet does not know how to fix the problem, or simply chooses to ignore it. However by simply reading complaints on the internet, it is obvious that this is a wide-spread problem and a potentially dangerous one. Public safety should require the government to discipline Chevrolet for intentionally refusing to address a potentially lethal flaw in it's Chevrolet Impala line.

- Clarkston , GA, USA

Feb 242012

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled. The traction control, engine and the throttle warning lights illuminated before the failure. The contact was able to turn the vehicle engine off for a moment and once restarted, the vehicle returned to normal function. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to have the dealer performed a diagnostic. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 67,000.

- Tulsa , OK, USA

Jun 022010

I bought a 2009 Chevy Impala with 35K miles on and not even a month after I bought it I started having problems with the traction control on acceleration and sometimes on braking... I see with all the internet complaints that this is a wide spread problem that GM seems to be putting off.. I have contacted GM and they told me the same thing as every other complaint take to dealer and spend over $100 just to get it looked at and the dealers say the same 3 things as all other complaints it could be three things.. gas pedal sensor, brake pedal sensor, or the sensor on the hub assembly... hmmmmmmmmmmm GM help... ps after I got mad on phone GM agreed to pay a mere $90 of the bill which is gonna cost over $300 to fix....

- Owosso, MI, USA

Nov 112010

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle surged forward slightly until the contact applied the brakes. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the pedal positioning sensor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued to recur intermittently. The failure and current mileage was 64,867.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Dec 012009

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. He stated that the vehicle accelerated on its own while driving at any speed. He experienced the failure five times. The most recent failure occurred while driving 60 mph when the vehicle accelerated up to 65 mph on its own. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they refused to check it. Report 71-807159815 was filed with the manufacturer who agreed to contact the dealer. The contact will take the vehicle back to the dealer to be repaired. The failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 20,000.

- Auburn, MI, USA