2009 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

2009 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 122016

While driving the check engine light and traction control light comes on and reduce engine power reads across the screen. Car slows to 45 miles an hour and turns off. I have had the throttle replaced and the throttle body replaced. The problem still on going....?

- Conyers, GA, USA

May 012016

I was on the interstate, going the speed limit. I had the cruise control on when the car alerted me that the engine power reduced and service traction control. I continued to drive as these messages have appeared on my car before. I traveled another 40 miles along the interstate and was about a mile from my exit. I was passing an over-sized tractor trailer going up hill when the car displayed starting disabled throttle service and the car shut off. I was in the left lane and had to initiate my emergency lights and wait for the tractor trailer to pass me so I could move the car over to the right shoulder. As the car was completely shutoff and was just coasting, I had to fight the steering wheel to control the car. I feel like had my situation was just a little different, the car could have came to a complete stop in the middle of the interstate with cars traveling 70+ mph and possibly caused a crash. I've already replaced the throttle position sensor and that remedied the situation for a couple months. This a highly dangerous occurrence that I know is common with the Impala's as I've heard it happening to several other people owning Impala's.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Apr 072016

Indicator lights for reduced power, service engine and traction control lights come on at anytime and go off. Experience a little lack of power. I will do it any time and any condition. It is random. From what I have read I am worried if the car will leave us stranded.

- Raymond, NE, USA

Mar 282016

Driving down road, engine light came on, displaying "reduced power and traction control problem. To it to Chevy dealer in topeka ks. Then found out that this happens a lot, sometimes car shuts off all together. Major safety issue, why is this not a recall by GM. Law suit waiting to happen. Can I fall back on GM for the expense?.

- Tecumseh, KS, USA

Mar 182016

Receiving a message for service traction control and reduced engine power. The check engine light comes on. This has been happening on and off for weeks. The car slows down. Now there is a ticking noise coming from the car.

- Gary, IN, USA

Dec 072015

I have gotten serveral error with check service traction control since I purchase the use chevelot Impala ls 2009 back in 2012. It already had 88,000 miles on it and about a year after I had the car I started to get this message. The second it occured I was on freeway and the error came on and after I got off on the exit my car shut down for about 5 minutes before I was able to start it back up. Now I have this error this time and every now and again it feel like the car wants to jerk every now and again and if I press the gas pedal down to quickly the light error flash with the car sign swirling message on the dashboard.

- Fairfield, AL, USA

Dec 262015

I was driving on the highway when the service traction control came up on the dash along with the traction control light, with in seconds of this happening the car read reduced engine power. The car immediately lost power and slowed down to a maximum of 25 mph. This sudden loss of power caused the cars behind me to nearly miss rear-ending me. I had to drive in this crippled mode 10 miles to reach the closest exit. It is due to a faulty throttle position sensor. This seems to be a very common problem with these vehicles and can cause a sudden loss of power.

- Oostburg, WI, USA

Jan 152014

Traveling on highway at 70 mph. Service traction, reduced engine power, service engine lights came on, car was shaking, everything was shutting down. Fortunately it was not rush hour and I was able to pull off road. I was on a toll road that aaa can not respond. I waited about 20 minutes and started the car and everything was fine. Took car to our mechanic, there was a service bulletin, to replace throttle body assembly. Since then, 2 letters from GM about covering cost of throttle sensor, but not assembly. GM is not taking care of the real problem, the whole assembly needs to be replaced, not just the sensor! I've kept the part and invoice and letters from GM, they should just recall before it turns into a class action lawsuit!

- Canastota, NY, USA

Dec 142015

My car was taken into the dealer to check on the "service engine soon" warning and I was informed that the computer showed it as an apps issue. They checked the apps and I was informed that they couldn't find anything wrong and that it had been reset within the computer system and I was good to go. Two months later while traveling at a speed of 55 mph on a highway, the service engine light came on, service stabilitrak appeared on the instrument panel, traction control off light up on the instrument panel and then the ring tone and the "engine power is reduced" came on the instrument panel. The next thing I knew was that I had absolutely no acceleration at all! I was extremely fortunate that the vehicles behind me were far enough behind me and I was able to get off of the road and on to the shoulder. Had that not been the case there could have been a serious accident causing numerous individuals to be injured or killed. I had the vehicle towed and checked and it was definitely the apps (accelerator pedal performance sensor) that was defective. Now nearly 2 years later, it has happened again. The exact same warnings came on again, only this time I was traveling in inclement weather and during rush hour traffic. There are numerous complaints regarding the exact same issue and Chevrolet/GM needs to issue a recall as the apps is defective. If no recall is issued it is a matter of time before innocent people are killed.

- Hampshire, IL, USA

Nov 292015

My name is james barr and I purchased a 2009 Chevy Impala, with 123,000 miles on it, in August 2015 from mac churchill auto mall in bedford, Texas. I have had no problems with this car since its purchase until November 29th. While en route to emory, Texas, my car started displaying "engine power is reduced" and "service traction control" messages. About 99% of the way there, I suddenly got a lurch and my car slowed down, with steering and braking not working. I was able to get my car off the highway safely but had to use my emergency brake to stop my vehicle and get it turned off. I tried repeatedly for several minutes to get it going again, but it would not start. After about five minutes, the car restarted normally and has performed flawlessly since. However, I am concerned. I've had a garage pull and diagnose the problem. The error codes that were pulled are P2122 and P2138, regarding the accelerator pedal position sensor. I've researched this and this appears to be a common problem from what I've been able to ascertain from my research. But I'm confused as to whether this is a recall item based upon this: I'm now trying to understand whether I can get this fixed because I'm not sure this is covered under my used car warranty and I do not feel compelled to pay for a repair that GM has been aware of but failed to notify my dealership or me as a owner, until I got a letter on 12/9/15 indicating that there may be a problem...well after I started having problems. I want GM to fix this at their expense. It is a safety hazard here in the dfw area because this could reoccur while I'm in heavy traffic and have no way to stop before someone hits me or I hit someone.

- Euless, TX, USA

Nov 022015

Impala 6-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to connection within the accelerator pedal position sensor may reduced engine power and cause loss of traction control assist.

- Cudahy, WI, USA

Oct 142015

For a few years I've had problems with the accelerator pedal. The first time was roughly two years ago when the car completely locked up and shut down on the highway just before rush hour. I received an error code to check traction control and that the engine power is being reduced. The car then looses speed dropping drastically. The first time I was in the fast lane on the highway and the vehicles computer system shut down. The steering wheel locked making it very difficult to veer off to the side of the high way. Luckily no other vehicles were directly behind me, and I was able to get the car to the side of the highway accident free. I've never been so afraid and terrified in my life. I fear this issue will cause fatalities that can be prevented. I had the car serviced at a Chevrolet dealership in ann arbor mi which was an expensive fix! since I've had the accelerator pedal replaced, the vehicle has shut off two other times followed by the same warning message to service traction control and engine power being reduced. I've written in to GM and they continue to request that I pay a diagnostic fee at a dealership for them to address the cause. I cant continue to pay $200-$300 for this fix when it is a manufacturers issue. This recall has been done on other Chevrolet models and I am praying for a recall on the 2009 Impala. This is a major safety issue to my family and the drivers who are around me. The issue is still present and is a major concern. The vehicle speed cant exceed 40mph at times, or will instantly drop at unexpected moments. Please investigate this issue.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Sep 082015

Was driving along at 55mph and the service traction system light came on followed by the reduced engine power light. Then the car just completly died. I was able to get to right shoulder and park it. I have done some research and seems that there have been several other folks with the same issue. I can't believe that this car would just shut down and have no control. I had the entire family in the car and was thankful that this didn't cause an accident. I am looking for answers and plan on taking it to the Chevy dealership I purchased the car from today or tomorrow.

- Howard, OH, USA

May 012015

While driving, there is a sudden loss of power. Engine and traction control lights come on. Dry pavement with nothing on surface to lose traction. Have to coast to side of road to avoid being struck by other vehicles.

- Big Lake, MN, USA

Aug 182015

My wife and I were driving down the interstate at approximately 65 mph. A light on the dash came on saying engine power reduced. At that point my vehicle slowed down to nearly 20 mph while I was still on the interstate in moderate traffic. I pulled off to the side of the road and turned my vehicle off to try to investigate the problem. At that point my vehicle would not start for about 10 minutes. After getting my vehicle to start I immediately drove it home. This issue could have caused a very serious accident that would have injured my wife and I, but more importantly our 7 year old daughter riding in the back seat along with any one else involved. I have been on many different forums trying to figure out the cause of the problem, and it seems there are many people with this exact problem on their Chevrolet Impala.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 032015

Impala 6-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to accelerator pedal position sensor issues. The consumer did not agree with Chevrolet when they stated to let the failure occur first, then they will fix it.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jul 242015

My 2009 Chevy Impala had experience intermittent message "service traction control" along with "reduced engine speed" since August of 2012. It happened maybe 1-2 times per year for the last few years. The message would clear itself after the car was turned off and sat for a few minutes. On July 24th, my car experience these same messages once again. However, the message came and went multiple times and all speeds in town and on the highway. The message finally stayed and did not go away on July 25th. I scheduled service at the local dealer on Thursday, July 30. They changed the accelerator pedal and thought it was an issue that GM issued a special condition on in April 2015. On the way home from the shop, the message appeared again. Thus, the car was again serviced at the local dealership on Friday, July 31. By August 1, the "service traction control" light blinked on and then went off quickly. It did the same thing one time on August 2nd. Today, August 3rd, the light went off three times in a short drive and is once again stuck on. I'm very worried that the reduced engine speed will return when I am on a highway. This is a known issue by GM or they wouldn't have issued a special condition. They only will fix this up to 120,000 miles. If my engine turns off while moving at 70mph on highway, this will be huge safety concern. I'm waiting on the dealer to call me back to once again return my car for repair. Lisa miller 1401 E oak clinton, mo 64735 660-492-2179 2G1wt57nx91158582

- Clinton, MO, USA

Jan 022015

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly lose power and would not accelerate. The contact indicated that when the failure occurred, the traction control and reduce power sensor lights illuminated. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 01/25/16.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 272015

Traction control light on, car lose power and has trouble stopping when brakes are deployed.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Apr 022015

Driving on interstate vehicle suddenly lost all power and would not accelerate & quickly decelerated with any prior warning. 18 wheeler almost rear ended me. Instrument panel displayed "engine power reduced", "service traction control, " "service stabilitrak", and "check engine light." Finally exited interstate safely and shut down engine thinking it was going to blow up and after 2-3 tries to restart messages disappeared and vehicle seemed to be ok. Took vehicle to mechanic & found codes evidencing the loss of communication between the tac and or the app units causing vehicle to go into limp mode but could not get the condition to reoccur. Mechanic had to remove codes to permit to duplicate problem, could not duplicate and told me to wait until reoccurred. While looking for repair shop was scared it would happen again received letter from GM stating if the above condition had occurred they would fix. Called GM dealer mentioned letter they refused to repair unless the messages were present on panel, refused to look at the vehicle. Called GM customer service referencing letter, explained GM dealer refused to repair. Was told by angela issue was safety related problem but GM would not admit to safety issue. GM agreed to pay for one hour of diagnostic time to determine if vehicle qualified for repair, dealer was unable to duplicate problem, refused to repair. Called GM and was told no repair would be made even though the problem had occurred as stated in the letter and to wait until situation occured again then not to start engine and tow to GM dealer. Was told GM would not pay for tow or inconvenience and if they could see codes they might repair problem. This is definitely a safety issue since when this occurs the vehicle loses all power and basically shuts down and will not accelerate beyond 5 mph if at all. Leo nelson 937-554-9778

- Riverside, OH, USA