2011 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Impala:

2011 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 232016

Pulling into the driveway at about 10 miles an hour the transmission died, causing the car to come to a dead stop: The transmission has to be replaced now, husband hit his head off steering wheel, if we were on a highway doing 60miles per hour we could have been killed. The car is now at tom hesser dealership who said they will pay half of the 4K to fix it, the car has 60400 some miles on it, just turned 5 yrs old. I do not think this car is safe if the transmission will just die at any moment without warning.. it does not have over 100K miles on it nor does it have 61K miles. This car make and model has been recalled for everything but the trany and engine so far, the car is not safe period..the dealership who is doing repairs is not the dealership it was purchased from, , but it is a Chevy dealership. And they are willing to pay half for repairs, I think GMC should pay the entire cost for the repairs.

- Scranton, PA, USA

May 072016

My car just reached 79,000 miles and I was driving when my car cut off in the middle of traffic! this happened twice in the same drive. It immediately started back up but then the check engine light came on along with a stabilitrak error message. Then a message saying engine power is reduced. Now the car's engine is making a terrible noise and is having problems accelerating without making a loud sound like air trying to blow through a pinhole. The Chevy service department I took it to wants almost $700 just to take it apart to see what it wrong with it, which doesn't include the possible amount for repair. And they did not look at any of the technical service bulletins like requested! now they are saying my car is not able to be driven at all. I went online and started to research these issues and found that there has been a lot of complaints about these exact issues most even the same year. There is no reason that a car with 79000 miles should have engine problems. I owned a 2003 Impala prior to this one and had almost 125000 miles before I purchased this 2011. There are way too many complaints going on with this car for it not to be recalled.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 262016

Driving down the highway the car shook and jerked then the engine power reduced, service stabilitrack, and service traction control showed up on my dashboard. The check engine light came on and so did the traction light and they stayed on. The RPM meter is averaging between 3 and 4 when it usually averages between 1 and 2. also, the speed has been reduced.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 042016

Service traction control and check engine lights came on this morning. Then a message saying my engine power is reducing. I just bought this car 3 weeks ago. I called GM customer service and they told me there was nothing they could do, even though there was a recall regarding this because it was over the 120000 mile warranty (but I just bought this car 3 weeks ago!!!)

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 112012

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 65 mph, the engine stalled and the engine stability power reduction warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the accelerator pedal and re-learned idle failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Also, while driving at various speeds, the gear shift became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was failing and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 44,815. Updated 01/12/16

- Florissant, MO, USA

Nov 022015

When your at a complete stop vehicle gives a hard jerk like someone has rear ended you. All of the Impala's have a failed transmission pressure control solenoid which can cause accidents when it jerks very hard causing someone to run into the back of another vehicle. No check engine light or anything will come on letting you know the problem. Years 2000 to 2015 all have the same problem. Needs to be recalled before someone seriously gets injured.

- Great Mills, MD, USA

Jun 012015

While at a complete stop, when the vehicle is in drive, as I attempt to push the accelerator to drive through an intersection, the car will stall for a second, make noise that sounds like a whine, and then jump forward like it's having a difficult time finding first gear. The vehicle does this every so often, but not all the time. I've taken it into car X, my local Chevrolet dealership, and another local Goodyear tires dealer, but nobody has any idea what I'm talking about. The vehicle has been hooked up to a computer and technicians have looked at it, but just scratch their heads. There is even a forum online regarding this happening with other Chevy Impala owners ( and owners seem to put lots of money into the issue but with no resolve. ** the issue seems to remedy itself when I turn off the traction control. ** there have been a couple of close calls where I'll be pulling through a busy intersection and the car will stall and I'll feel like I'm about to be hit because the car "dies" for a second. I feel this is a real safety concern that needs to be addressed.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Feb 112015

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the accelerator pedal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

May 022015

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Impala. While traveling 35 mph with the accelerator pedal engaged, the engine revved but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer and it was determined that transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Jun 162014

I purchased the Impala on June 16, 2014, there was some popping noise from the dash board on the passenger's side. The sale's manager had me bring the car in for repair the next day. The car was repaired within 2-3 days. I found out it was the actuator sensor. In January 2015 the transmission had to be replaced. Luckily it was under the powertrain warranty. Now 8 months later to the date (March 12, 2015), the stabilizer track-engine reduce power light and message came. I came to a stop. Cut the car off for 15-20 minutes only for the light to reappear after moments of driving. I got to work. The car sat for 9 hours and still the light illuminated immediately upon starting the car. I found out it is the same problem and the extended warranty does not want to cover it. I am at my wits end and now the finance company wants me to continue to pay my monthly car note for a car that is not totally drivable...why"?" GM should pay!!!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 182015

My wife was driving home from work going 65 down a very busy highway. All of a sudden the reduced engine power light, check engine, stability control off, and traction control lights came on. The car begin to loose speed. Luckily she was able to get over to the right shoulder without anyone hitting her. When she got to the shoulder the car was running really rough. She turned it off waited a few minutes and restarted it. It then ran fine but the check engine light remained on. She made it home and was scared to drive it again. I took it to work last night and made it about halfway to work and it did the exact same thing except I was able to get it to maintain 45mph. When I came to a traffic light though the engine was running so rough the car was very hard to stop. I made it to work. When I came out to go home the first stop light I came to it started acting up again. From the light I was barely able to get it to go 25mph. I pulled over and shut the car off waited a few minutes and restarted. Everything was fine again. I made it about 5 miles and all the lights came on again but I was able to maintain 45mph in the 55mph zone I was in. I took it to my repair shop and they said it needs a throttle body. They also said GM has had allot of issues with these. I called my GM dealer to see if it would be covered under 5 year 100K mile warranty and they said that it isn't. if there hasn't been an accident caused by one of these throttle body issues yet I would be surprised. It's very dangerous in heavy traffic and all of a sudden you can't go.

- Savage, MN, USA

Jan 242015

Impala 6-cyl

With no dashboard warning at all, my transmission failed on my 4-year old Impala. The only clue I had that anything was wrong, was a "surging" of the engine about 10 days before the transmission failed, which I had attributed to be fuel injection problems.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Jan 312015

Impala 6-cyl

Transmission disengaged while driving. Had to coast to a safe place on the side of the road. Would not re-engage from park, neutral, or any other gear. Had to shut the car off and let it sit. Transmission repair shop said the transmission is shot. No warning - no check engine light, nothing.

- Carey, OH, USA

Dec 102014

Impala 6-cyl

Odometer and transmission position went blank.

- Maitland, FL, USA

Jun 292012

While driving, the following lights came on 3 months after purchase. Service stabilitrak, engine power reduced, service traction control. Turned car off for about 30 minutes, and lights went off and were able to drive home. That Monday, took car to dealer, and were told it was a part that had something to do with the fuel. Out of warrant, but they covered it anyway considering I just purchased the vehicle. Same lights came on again roughly about 6 months later, noticeably when it's wet out. Lights would eventually go off after car sits so after reading threads, I assumed this was normal when it was wet out. Late 2013 lights came on again, had wheel bearing replaced and lights went off for a while. Early 2014 lights are on again, and I start noticing hard shifting in transmission, but ignored because I know there¿'s no way my trans could be bad considering the car was only 2 years old at the time. Thanksgiving 2014, I was planning a shopping trip to indianapolis, and no lights, but transmission went out. Car would not move whatsoever, and I had to get the car towed. Took car to several dealers and some said it was the trans and some said it was not. Either way, it was going to cost me a whole lot of money I did not have considering the transmission went out 3000 miles after warranty ended. Had transmission replaced, and walllah lights are back on. One dealer said I had another bad wheel baring, but did not produce any paper work with the code. Took it elsewhere for a second opinion, and found out that the dealer forgot to connect the line that's connected to the wheel baring. Lights are now off and I'm happy. Today, the day after christmas, now that I'm flat broke and have $30 to my name, lights are back on and I'm mentally exhausted. Cannot report as a lemon because I have had the vehicle longer than 1 year, and my warranty is exhausted.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Jun 142014

Impala 6-cyl

Upon cranking the car using the key, the car started to make a ticking noise on the right side appearing to come from the engine when the temperature knob is set to heat; however, when the noise stops when the temperature is moved to cold air. The car was service when I purchased it in June 2014 by willett Honda South. Now, December 2014, the noise has started again, as well as, the transmission has gone in this car!!!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 102014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (power train). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experience a failure.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Oct 172014

After stopping for fuel approximately 900 miles from home, after filling the vehicle, started the car and as we pulled out of the gas station, the transmission slipped out of gear and into neutral without any forward or reverse gearing. Upon placing the vehicle in park, turning the engine off and restarting the vehicle, it moved forward and the transmission totally disengaged as before. Onstar vehicle diagnostics reported a non coded total failure. The vehicle was towed to the closest GM dealer and we were told that it maybe a week before they can give us any specifics to its cause, repair or warranty coverage.

- Culleoka, TN, USA

Jul 262014

Impala 6-cyl

Throttle control shut down, engine power reduced, car shut down on highway without warning.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 242013

Pulled into 35 mile per hour traffic and lost engine power. Warning lights and message for stabiltrac, service traction control and reduced engine power came on. Experienced reduced engine power with traffic approaching from behind. This happened with 22,000 miles in 7/2013. The engine control module and stabilizer shaft link were replaced. This happened again 2/2014 with 26,000 miles. The throttle body cover and sensor kit were replaced. Just today, 7/23/2014, it happened again with 30,000 miles. Each time it has happened pulling into 35 mile per hour traffic and experienced reduced power.

- Ravenna, OH, USA