2012 Chevrolet Impala brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Impala:

2012 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Oct 142011

Impala

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. While the vehicle was stationary, the passenger side air bag cover detached from the vehicle. In addition, the rear frame of the vehicle was rusted, the engine leaked transmission oil and fuel, and the brakes malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Osceola Mills, PA, USA

Jul 302016

Impala

My car is trying to kill me. At a complete stop when I hit the gas the traction control comes on. My dash says service stabilitrak, traction control and ABS. I must turn off the traction control to drive my vehicle. With all that, if I drive up hill it turns the traction control on, the ABS and traction control light up and the lights stay on. When the car is restarted all the lights go away. Twice I was pulling onto the highway from a stop. That situation happened and my car didnt move. Luckily the car was able to move or else I would have severly injured. This happens with my vehicle daily. I took my car in because my alternator failed. I told the dealership about a tsb for the issue and they did nothing. It also happens a lot if im accelerating while turning a corner. The dash lights up like christmas lights.

- Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

Jun 012015

Impala

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. Whenever the contact attempted to make a turn, especially a right turn, the vehicle seemed like it was sliding. The traction control and ABS warning lights illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,823.

- Sharpsville, PA, USA

Apr 202016

Impala

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. While attempting to accelerate the vehicle from a low speed, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked when the brakes were independently applied. In addition, the ABS, service traction control, service stability control, and multiple warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the wires connected to the sensors were faulty. The technician also stated that further diagnostic testing would be needed to determine what specific part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 26,000.

- Manistee, MI, USA

Mar 242016

Impala

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at various speeds and making a left turn, the vehicle would independently switch to traction control mode. In addition, an abnormal sound was coming from the brakes of the vehicle. The contact stated that the failure would occur intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ABS wiring harness and the wheel hub would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Nov 082015

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the electronic stability, traction control, and check brakes warning indicators flashed randomly. There was an abnormal noise each time the indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was not able to replicate and diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000. Updated 02/12/16

- Oroville, CA, USA

Nov 022015

Impala

When I start driving on local street each morning, I make a left turn, the car makes a loud grinding noise and my service traction control, service brake assist, & ABS light all come on. They also go on & off when I go over speed bumps make a loud grinding noise. The traction control symbol will come on and I will be stuck trying to accelerate. This is very dangerous as I have almost been hit from behind a few times due to not being able to accelerate in a timely fashion. I have gone on Chevy Impala forums looking for other drivers who may have experienced this are there are a good number of them. It seems to be an electrical problem. I finally took it to a mechanic and they could not reproduce the problem. It still happens.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Sep 152015

Impala

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while attempting to drive from a stop sign, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to respond as the brakes independently engaged. The ABS warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that a harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

May 262013

Impala

When driving after every attempt to make a left turn, my service traction control, service brake assist, & ABS light all pop on. Since then it has went on and off for many days until it just finally stayed on permanently. Also message: "stabilitrak service and traction control, brake assist " finally took it to a Chevy dealership in culver city, ca in May 2013 & was told they tested the front ABS connector and traction and found nothing wrong and no code errors. Reset the sensors anyways and adjusted the timing. As soon as I drove out the dealer, same error messages and lights returned. Took car again to same dealer &wastold "I must have drove through water or oily surface and lights would go off after I drove 20 or so miles".lights & errors did not go away.returned to the same dealer again, this time again found no errors but they proceed to replace the tire sensors and reset the sensor id. Lights&codes went off for about a week then returned with a grinding noise when left turn, loose engine power &steering power, light &codes continue to stay on, & stalls for a few seconds when left turn. I have been at a light in the middle of making a turn when the car will stall & not let me take off.brakes appear to lock up.just missed a few car accidents due to stall. Has left me in dangerous situations as I have almost been hit head on & was hit from behind because I could not accelerate and got stuck on the turn. Cannot accelerate in a timely fashion is a huge problem. Because the dealer obviously could not resolve the issue had tire and brake expert shops look at the problem a few times. Also not finding the problem. Finally decided to just try &ignore it but after so many close calls of accidents& endagering my families life it is not acceptable for me to just deal with it anymore or to continue to spend money to try & find problem.forums prove others have the same problem.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 212015

Impala

I was driving down a hill on kalamazoost in lansing mich. My power steering and power brakes stopped working. I pulled on the steering wheel to turn the car into a hedge of bushed on the side of the road. It stopped before I hit them.

- Warren, MI, USA

Jan 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the brakes, which failed to respond. The contact also stated there was a abnormal odor. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired but the repairs were unknown. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Osceola Mills, PA, USA

Jun 062014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, he applied the brakes the vehicle shook vigorously. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the caliper failed and the technician replaced the caliper on the rear drivers brake. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,073. Updated 09/02/14 updated 09/23/15

- Clatskanie, OR, USA

Jun 282014

Impala

On June 28,2014 while driving down houston tx beltway. I was involved in an accident where my car hit a cement guard rail and brakes fail as well as no airbags deployed.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jun 132014

Impala 6-cyl

While driving my car highway speed was 65mph, at that rate of speed my vehicle was picking up speed and when I went to press on my brakes, it was if I was driving on ice and my car was skidding. Two days later I stopped for gas and my car wouldn't start, after my 3rd attempt, it stuttered hard time turning over. Once it did I turned it off but the car was still running. I did this several times. Very scared to drive my car back home because I'm out of town. My lights says I have low right tire pressure but I don't, it's back left tire for some odd reason.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Mar 142014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving and after making a left turn, my service traction control, service brake assist, and ABS light all popped on. It went on and off for many days as I would stop and then re-start the car. I finally took it to a Chevy dealership and was told they tested the front ABS connector and adjusted the timing. Lights and codes went off for about two weeks then popped back on upon making a left turn. In addition to the lights and codes, the car now make a loud grinding noise and the car stalls. I have been at a light in the middle of making a turn when the car will stall and not let me take off- the traction control symbol will come on and I will be stuck trying to accelerate. This is very dangerous as I have almost been hit from behind a few times due to not being able to accelerate in a timely fashion. I have gone on Chevy Impala forums looking for other drivers who may have experienced this are there are a good number of them. It seems to be an electrical problem.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Sep 012013

Impala

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the brake pedal had to be applied more than once in order to stop the vehicle. The brake pedal could also be abnormally depressed to the floorboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the brakes were bled however, the failure was not corrected. The contact also stated that the air conditioning unit would exhibit a loud noise. The pulley and belt tensioner was replaced in an attempt to correct the air conditioning failure but to no avail. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 4,500 and the current mileage was 12,746.

- Eluess , TX, USA

Aug 072013

Impala 6-cyl

Same incident twice. I am driving either at low speeds (5 to 10 mph) or at 30 mph. The light service stabilitrak and brakes comes on. After I turn off the car, the warning lights and the message go off. I took car to dealership but they said they could not help because the warning message is off. I have seen messages across the internet posts that other Impala (2012) are doing the same thing.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 122013

Impala 6-cyl

Brakes have what I feel is excessive amount of fade especially after just a few stops seems to occur more at speeds over 50 mph.

- Stewartstown, PA, USA

May 312013

Impala 6-cyl

When stopped at a red light the peddle would slowly drift towards floor. The car began to roll as if the brakes were releasing. I applied more pressure to the pedal halting the vehicle. I took the car to a dealership and was told it was due to the location of the master cylinder and GM was aware of it. My concern is that this may cause loss of brakeing when in motion.

- Mount Holly, NC, USA