2012 Chevrolet Impala seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Impala:

2012 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Nov 092015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while inspecting the vehicle, the contact witnessed that the drivers seat belt buckle assembly was detaching. The contact later inspected the rear seat belt buck assemblies and witnessed that they were fractured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt buckle assembly had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,477. The VIN was not available.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Apr 012015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the front driver seat belt failed to latch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Dec 082014

I have tried pulling on each front seat belt very quickly to trigger the motion sensitive retractor to see if the seat belt retractors would lock up. They no longer do. When the car was newer, I could pull on the retractors very quickly and the seat belt retractors would lock up as if an occupant moved forward quickly after a collision.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Sep 252013

May 2013 I purchased a 2012 Impala fully certified by the Chevy dealer. On 9/25/2013 I was stopped on I-80 due to traffic. A woman traveling 53 mph slammed into me causing me to take out the next 3 cars. I filed an investigation with GM to review the vehicle information (which is how I know how fast she was traveling). The airbag light was on, but no airbags deployed, and the seat belt had restrained me only after I violently bounced off of the steering wheel. When this was reported to GM it was stated that there are three lines of defense in a vehicular accident #1 the body of your vehicle #2 your seat belt #3 airbag deployment. 2/3 lines of defense had failed me. GM had no conclusion after the accident and I received the reports from the engineers. I was traveling fast enough into the car ahead of me for the airbags to have deployed, and the seat belt should have restrained me. Nearly a year later, I am greatful that one line of defense had prevented further injuries, but this is something that I will forever feel the negative impacts of. With recent news investigations into GM's faulty airbag deployment, clearly they can look beyond just the older models of Impala.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jun 192014

Impala 6-cyl

My driver side and back seat in the middle seat belts will not lock. I attempt to attach the seat belt as it should but will not lock and if it does click to lock the first bump (pot hole) I hit it unbuckles. Very unsafe.

- Redford Twp, MI, USA

Jul 032013

Impala 6-cyl

Car was serviced (oil change and tire rotation). Afterwards when driving the car 50-60 mph there is a vibration felt in wheel and in seat. Took back to dealer, had all 4 wheels balanced. Problem still existed. Additionally there is a clunking noise in front end, noticeable at low speeds (10-15mph) when going over small bumps in road; noticeable when A/C and radio turned off. Dealer cannot identify any problem, says its operating as designed, no noise. Frustrating considering these problems were not present at purchase or at 30,000 miles. Additionally the airbag / seatbelt indicator illuminates for passenger seat at random times for no reason. Something as simple as a bottle on the seat will make it illuminate.

- Hudson, FL, USA