2013 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Impala:

2013 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Sep 262016

Car was making a squeaking noise when you turned the wheel. Took it in to dealer. They said steering column was leaking and could result in loss of steering if not repaired. $1300 to repair. This is a 3 year old car with 44,000 miles on it. Was not covered under warranty. Losing your steering is certainly a major safety concern.

- West Sand Lake, NY, USA

Sep 092016

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Impala. The vehicle was taken in for an inspection and the contact was informed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,900.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jul 222016

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Impala. While driving various speeds and attempting to make a turn, the contact heard an abnormally loud noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing; however, the results could not be provided. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 132016

I took my car to the dealership because I had a few noises from the front end. One was a clunking noise when I reached speeds of approx 25 mph, the front end was making a popping noise, when I would back up then pull forward there was a grinding noise, and also a few times when I would make a left hand turn it was like my car was stuck for a few seconds with the motor revving, but wouldnt move. When it finally would, it would shoot forward and I almost lost control of the vehicle. When I took it to the dealer, I was told both lower control arms and the right front hub had excessive play, the front engine, rear engine, strut mount, and transmission mount were torn, the front timing cover and the steering gear rack were leaking and all needed to be replaced. So much for spending so much money for a car to reliably get me and my kids from point a to B safely. Thankfully the dealership is helping me out so I can affords to get my car fixed, and its still costing me $2000. The car only has 60,3023 miles on it.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

May 052014

When turning the steering wheel to the left, the car lurches slightly forward and makes a terrible noise---loud enough to be heard outside of the car. A mechanic checked the ball bearings in the wheels and they were okay he said. This noise started a month after I bought the car. It doesn't make this noise every time you make a left turn, but when it does, it does it repeatedly if making a left turn.

- Salem, VA, USA

Jun 142016

When making left turns, the car hesitates, and there is a grinding noise, while turning. The problem is happening more often.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

May 032016

Took vehicle to dealership for standard oil change. While completing inspection form they indicated that the steering column is leaking. They recommend immediate replacement for $1,300. This vehicle only had 57,000 miles on it. I told them not to replace it. They stated you could have a small leak for many years but it will eventually get worse and leading to steering failure. I asked about this being under warranty but of course I was 2 months outside of my warranty. I have been driving it since they recommended replacement with no issues yet. I am hoping that a recall will be recommended for this vehicle. I mostly do highway driving with this vehicle and put on 70 miles a day. Hopefully enough unfortunate individuals have this problem and we can get a recall started.

- Neillsville, WI, USA

Apr 152016

My 2013 Chevy Impala is having big issues making left turns. There is a grinding sound and the car hesitates to accelerate. While these problrms occur I am getting warnings on the dash that say service traction control, service brake assist, and the ABS light is on. Starting to not feel safe to be in this vehicle. Also had it checked twice by two different auto shops and they cant seem to find the problem.

- Cameron Park, CA, USA

Mar 172016

When the steering wheel is turn leftmost or rightmost and turn off the engine, you can't turn on the ignition because the steering wheel is stuck. Without remote start, my car will always be stuck on the sideway of a slope.

- Pullman, WA, USA

Sep 012014

When steering wheel is turned left and now right the front end grinds at times but not all the time. However, it seems to be getting gradually worse, grinding more often. The "service stabilitrac system" comes across the dash panel and now it is stating "service brake assist". all the while nothing seems to be wrong with anything up front. This happens upon acceleration. This can happen in city streets, parking lots and freeways. I happens anywhere upon acceleration. There is no point at which the grinding is taking place can be seen. This seems to be a problem that Chevrolet has with all the models of this particular vehicle yet they are denying anything is wrong with the vehicles.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 142015

Service stability message comes on when making turns and the tire makes a sound. The vehicle just started to do this about a week ago. I reviewed comments from other users online and it appears there are several people with 2013 Impala's that have the same problem. It happens when turning or when accelerating which makes it very harmful.

- Baker, LA, USA

Feb 182015

When starting to move forward from a stopped position and turning the steering wheel at the same time, the ABS sensor kicks in and the car makes the ABS sound, the ABS lights up on the dashand then it releases and you can drive normal. It has occurred many times now between 1 to 5 miles per hour. I do not see any recalls at this time for this problem.

- Prospect, PA, USA

Jun 242015

I just purchased my vehicle 3 months ago and about 2 weeks ago, I've been having issues with traction control, ABS and service stabilitrak. It seems I get this problem when I just start my car and try to turn the wheel right, at low speeds it feels like it's grinding. This problem has happened a few times since then (not consistent) and every time it grinds I get a traction control light pop up. This problem is happening when there is no rain or snow on the road. I have done some research and it seems a lot of people are having the same issue with Chevrolet Impala's. I believe this should be recalled it is very dangerous!

- Fargo, ND, USA

Sep 152014

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the stability control warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the steering wheel vibrated causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle. On another occasion, the vehicle could not be shifted out of gear and the service brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 7,500.

- Clerdon, PA, USA

Aug 242014

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 35 mph, the engine stalled and the power steering and brakes failed. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 44,500.

- Starkville , MS, USA

Aug 012014

Impala 6-cyl

Car warning lights come on for traction control breaks and throws car into oncoming traffic at random times without warning. It is very unsafe and is on a recall list. I should not been sold a lemon car.

- Winton , CA, USA

Apr 172014

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that after the vehicle made a left turn, there is a grinding noise that came from the drivers left tire. The vehicle resumed it normal operations when the vehicle was driven in a forward motion. The failure occurred on a regular basis. The vehicle was taken to the dealership and a diagnosis was completed on the vehicle. The failure was not able to be reproduced. There were no repairs completed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 33,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Sannateo, CA, USA

Jul 192014

Impala 6-cyl

My 2013 Chevrolet Impala's electrical system failed. There were no lights, radio, air conditioner, gauge lights, power steering or power brakes. The engine remained running as did the transmission. This lasted about five minutes.(there are no places to stop on our roads.) the first light to come on was the warning about loss of stabilitrac and the second was about air bags, the third was about uneven tire pressure. Eventually the gauge lights, air conditioner and radio came on followed by the power steering and brakes. I turned it off in park and then turned it on again. The stabilitrac and air bag warnings were still on, but the rest of the lighting and electrical seemed to be working. Eventually the stabilitrac and air bag warnings stopped. The next day everything came on as normal. The airbag for the passenger seat never is on since I bought it in January.

- Parker, CO, USA

Nov 282013

Impala 6-cyl

I purchased a 2013 Impala in November with 19,000 miles on it. I noticed a bang in the front end when backing out of driveway cutting to the right or left. The drivers tire is wearing uneven because the alignment is off "but only slightly and within specs". steering wheel shakes at 45-50 mph without pulling. Go over a bump and feel a vibration in the floor under my feet! it has been in several times and they have done the following: 1. tighten motor mount 2. had it half a day to replace a broken motor mount (same one they tightened two weeks earlier) 3. had it all day to "listen for the noise", heard it and ordered a strut spacer 4. had it half a day to replace strut spacer, did not stop the noise they have heard the noise 3 times and made several attempts to correct but was not successful. I suggested the rack and pinion but was told GM will not pay them to explore my front end. Shop says without hearing the noise all the time we will have to wait for a "catastrophic event to occur".

- Vassalboro, ME, USA