3.5

2013 Chevrolet Impala suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Impala:

2013 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Oct 262016

Impala

When accelerating from stopped position, especially when turning to either side, experienced a grinding noise, loss of power, dimming lights, and ABS light coming on. Grinding noise comes from lower engine area in front of vehicle. Repeated occurrences are becoming more frequent. Not known what the problem is, but appears to be tied to ABS/electrical system. Postings of similar situations have appeared in various websites dealing with frequent problems of specific vehicles. GM dealer charged me diagnosis fee, but found nothing. GM dealer said in order to find the problem I would have to bring car in when ABS light was on. I am concerned that I am due for a significant failure before dealer finds the problem, or acknowledges same. Although I reference one date of occurrence, this problem has been happening for 6 months with increasing events as of late.

- Bantam, CT, USA

Aug 132016

Impala

I took my car to the dealership because I had a few noises from the front end. One was a clunking noise when I reached speeds of approx 25 mph, the front end was making a popping noise, when I would back up then pull forward there was a grinding noise, and also a few times when I would make a left hand turn it was like my car was stuck for a few seconds with the motor revving, but wouldnt move. When it finally would, it would shoot forward and I almost lost control of the vehicle. When I took it to the dealer, I was told both lower control arms and the right front hub had excessive play, the front engine, rear engine, strut mount, and transmission mount were torn, the front timing cover and the steering gear rack were leaking and all needed to be replaced. So much for spending so much money for a car to reliably get me and my kids from point a to B safely. Thankfully the dealership is helping me out so I can affords to get my car fixed, and its still costing me $2000. The car only has 60,3023 miles on it.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jun 142016

Impala

When making left turns, the car hesitates, and there is a grinding noise, while turning. The problem is happening more often.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

May 122015

Impala 6-cyl

Control arm - L& R - O/a May 19, 2015 backing out of my driveway and turning steering wheel I heard a grinding noise; made a left turn heard it again. I took the car to the place where I bought it. Told the svc. Manager about the problem; I don't know if anybody test drove it or just looked under the car; he didn't find any problems. A month later it started acting again with the strange noise; I took it to a different 'certified chev dealer'. a tech rode with me and heard the noise immediately; appoint was made immediately; supposedly repaired...I drove it another month. Then the same noise started on the right side; took it back to the same dealer. Once again 'control arm', supposedly repaired... wrong !!!! now 8/04/15, turning the wheel again, the same grinding noise started. I want to take it back to the last shop but first I want in put from your office. The car has only 14000 miles...updated 08/20/15

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Nov 282013

Impala 6-cyl

I purchased a 2013 Impala in November with 19,000 miles on it. I noticed a bang in the front end when backing out of driveway cutting to the right or left. The drivers tire is wearing uneven because the alignment is off "but only slightly and within specs". steering wheel shakes at 45-50 mph without pulling. Go over a bump and feel a vibration in the floor under my feet! it has been in several times and they have done the following: 1. tighten motor mount 2. had it half a day to replace a broken motor mount (same one they tightened two weeks earlier) 3. had it all day to "listen for the noise", heard it and ordered a strut spacer 4. had it half a day to replace strut spacer, did not stop the noise they have heard the noise 3 times and made several attempts to correct but was not successful. I suggested the rack and pinion but was told GM will not pay them to explore my front end. Shop says without hearing the noise all the time we will have to wait for a "catastrophic event to occur".

- Vassalboro, ME, USA

Mar 082014

Impala

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the traction control warning lamp illuminated and the system engaged causing the vehicle to swerve. The contact mentioned that there was a loud noise coming from the front driver side tire. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 37,000 and the current mileage was 37,780.

- Houston, TX, USA