2015 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Impala:

2015 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Jun 252016

I am writing this email in regards T my 2015 Chevrolet Impala. On March 14th 2016 I purchased a used 2015 Chevrolet Impala. When I purchased the Impala it had 12,050 miles. March 17th 2016 only three days after I purchased the car, I got in the car to head to work, when I turned the car on there was an error stating power steering needs service. The steering wheel would not turn and was in a locked position. I called the dealership and at that point they said they had to send a tow truck to pick up the vehicle. Around 11:00am that day a tow truck came to pick up the car and I went with the tow truck to the dealership to pick up a loaner vehicle. A few hours later I received a call from the service department stating my car was repaired and I could pick it up. When I picked up the car I was told there was a communication error with the power steering problem the system was reset and I should have no problems moving forward. Please see attached document dated March 17th 2016. On May 6th 2016, I was backing out of garage/ driveway and as I went to turn (still in reverse position) I suddenly was unable to steer the car. I immediately called the dealership and was sent to a voicemail due to the time being after hours. I then proceed to turn the car on and off several times and the warning went off and I was able to move the car into a safe position on the road. Please see attached document dated May 11 2016. On June 25th 2016 it happened again and this time I was driving. I thank god that my boyfriend and I were on a side street and we were going at a very slow speed. I called the dealership immediately and was told to bring the car in for service.

- Schererville, IN, USA

May 102016

Started having issues with the cv axles popping when starting and stopping at 18000 miles. Motor mount went bad shortly after and steering started acting really sluggish when trying to turn. Around 25K miles it started getting worse about turning and the gauges would start resetting on there own. After a day of that happening the passenger side dash caught on fire.

- Gordo, AL, USA

Apr 082016

Bought a pre-certified Impala, we were told that they had changed the power steering pump from the previous owner and everything was good. I just made my first payment on March 26, 2016 and that same day I went out and got in my car to leave from my daughters house and I pulled out about 100 ft and the steering wheel locked up on me, I could not turn the wheel at all. I turned my car off and called my husband, he came out and it done the same thing to him and then it finally started moving again so he took it to the dealership. They stated that it was ground wire to the power steering, so we said ok it should be fine. Today I went to stop at a stop light on a city street and the wheel pulled to the right and I turned it back to the left and the steering wheel would turn but it kept going to the right. Thank god I got stopped, it finally decided to straighten out and it was pulling to the right so now it is back in the shop and I am afraid to drive the car again. This has been a very stressful experience.

- Plain City, OH, USA

Mar 122016

This is the 2nd compliant I am filing and it is the 3rd time this has happened. On March 12, 2016 I was leaving my friends house and got about 2 blocks from their house when my steering wheel locked and a message on the dash board read power steering service caution! and at the bottom dismiss, I almost hit a parked car that was parked on the street. I called GM roadside assistance and after waiting about 15 minutes I started the car back up and the wheel was turning so I took it back and parked it had my friends house instead of on the street and had GM send a tow truck the next morning to have it taken to the local dealer for service. The past 2 times this has happened they could not or would not guarantee me that it wouldn't happen while I was driving it and now it has. Something needs to be done with this issue before someone gets killed.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Aug 192015

On August 19, 2015 I started my car put it into reverse and the steering wheel would not turn and it displayed service power steering I turned off the ignition waited a few minutes and tried again but it still would not turn, I called GM roadside assistance and they sent out a tow truck to have them take it to the local Chevy dealer for service when the driver got here he started the car and the wheel turned but he put it on a flat bed and took it to the dealer they said the cause was a defective B.P.M.V. they replaced part # 2410350 electronic brake and traction control module with brake pressure modulator valve and part # 23208065 F (s) module reprogram ed and bleed the system said they road tested it for 40 miles with 6 ignition cycles but the mileage when it went in was at 16036 and when it came out was at 16055 as you can see on the document I am attaching. They returned my car to me on August 28, 2015. But they could not tell me if this could happen while I am driving the car. On December 19, 2015 I went to start my car and it would not start so again I called GM roadside assistance they sent a tow truck and he took the car to the local dealer for service they the cause was a defective battery 4041510 battery replacement 247 w and replaced it with part# 88865245. On December 26, 2015 I was leaving a friends house when I started the car put it in reverse and the steering wheel would not turn and the display read service power steering. Since it was late on Saturday night our friend drove use home I went back today started the car and the steering wheel was turning so I drove it home but since the dealer is closed at this time I will call on Monday morning to have it taken back to be serviced again the mileage at this time is 19691.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Oct 162015

At 1884K mi leaving home depot parking lot pwr steering went out with warning on dash (power steering failure drive with caution). Towed to porter Chevrolet in newark de. Where they replaced the electric pwr steering rack. The car was in the shop for a week. Now, at 3838K mi the same situation has occurred after pulling out of my driveway and starting down the street. This 4908 lb. Car is almost impossible to steer when this happens.

- Newark, DE, USA

Oct 052015

The contact owned a 2015 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at unknown speeds and attempting to make a complete stop, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle would not stop. The contact also stated that the steering wheel failed to respond causing the contact to crash into a ditch and impacted the driver side of the vehicle. The air bags deployed. A police report was filed. The contact stated that injuries were sustained that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA