1998 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu:

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jul 271998

Purchase 07/24/98 cash payment $18, had 152 miles at that time..withing a few days of owing the car brake pedal was making constant noise when applying...I took it in to the garage and they oiled it and it continued 8-7-98 lubricated brake had rent a car and they ordered new assembly..8-11-98 new assembley installed and the brake still made the noise...finally rent a car again they found out 8-18-98 that master cylinder leaking..had to replace power boaster and master cylinder and lubed front calipers and adjusted the brakes....also I have constant squeal noise and pulling of brakes in the back when apply and mushing sound...they adjusted and cleaned and still does it cold wet warm does not matter...the manager called and said that there wasn't much else they could do for it. Between all this the dash board was warpped and replaced, back tail gasket kept coming off after several visits to the chev. Place they orderd and replaced the warp gasket....then the gasket seal around the back window was coming off...he glued it down...I have mentioned to them it started funny at times and he said count to 15 seconds and that would be everytime I get into the car I am concerned is it going to start or not..finally 3/12/99 I got into the car to do my errands and it would not crank over and start after several tries it finally started and I called and the car is again in the garage I now have a rent a car again and will not know what the problem is until next week. Also the wire that holds the gas cap when you pump gas broke off. The first few months of owning the car and trying to repair the problems and get to work and rent a car and continue on with life have been disrupted. All I wanted to do was buy a new car be able to trust it and not end up going every other week in for this or that. I have talked to the manager and have filed a claim 980 503 718 to get a refund. I hate the car its junk.

- West Chester, OH, USA