$1,284.00

1. replace steering gear & hose (2 reports)
1998 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu:

1998 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Aug 272006

Malibu

In January 2006 at mileage 63157 the power steering failed again, and the steering gear & hose were replaced again at an additional cost of $1,297.11.

Today, my coolant system is failing. Is it any wonder why foreign automakers dominate Consumer Report's reliability studies, while American automakers are going out of business? I will never EVER buy American again!

- , Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Aug 242006

Malibu

In February 2004 at mileage 47870 my 1998 Malibu's power steering became faulty, and a hose and steering gear were replaced at a cost of $1,855.95.

- , Redondo Beach, CA, USA

May 302005

Malibu

It all started 2 months ago when the power steering failed on the car. Our mechanic told us it was the power steering pump, so we ordered a new one. Turned out to be defective, so we had to return that one and get another. The pump gets replaced. Less than two weeks later, same problem. We took it to another garage, they told us it was the pump again. Fortunately, the part was still under warranty. We had it replaced again. A week later, they had to change a seal kit in the pump and a high pressure hose. Next, the rack and pinion gets replaced. I've just brought the car back from another garage (following an alignment after having the rack & pinion replaced), and guess what? IT'S LEAKING AGAIN!!! It can't be the mechanics since we've been dealing with them for years, and we've never had problems like this before. I don't know what to do anymore. If you count the hours I've missed from work because of this problem, I've lost at least $1000 CDN on this piece of junk.

- , Laval, Quebec, Canada