1999 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Chevrolet Malibu:

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Dec 082006

Malibu 3.1

Engine stalls 30 sec after filling up on gas! I have a 1999 Malibu bought second hand in 2002 in VA. Drove not bad so far; which means of course, replacing the intake manifold twice (this is a crappy job they did, shame on GM) and a few other little things. Since two months ago a new one came up: every time I fill it up on gas, after I drive away from the gas station, about 1 minute later the engine stops. I have to wait about 10 seconds, start again, then I have no problem, until next time I fill it up! It happened EVERY time since two months ago. The first time it happened I was rather low almost empty, even though I usually donít let the gas go that low. But now it happens even if I fill it up when itís quarter full. Even if some dirt got into the pump and filtering system, how can I explain that the problem comes up only after filling up again, and not randomly? Really annoying, and even dangerous! Like one guy said, next time I won't afford to be a patriot anymore and buy American, definitely not GM.

- , North York, Ontario, Canada