5.5

2. buy resistor and replace (4 reports)
  3. replace the air intake switch (2 reports)
  4. dealer fixed under warranty (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Malibu AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu:

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Dec 042012

Malibu V6

I just wanted to add that as a new owner of a very used, 2001 Chevy Malibu I'm quite disappointed.

The fact that the climate control blower fans ONLY work when turned up to '3' is sad.

- , Rocky River, Ohio, USA

Jan 012010

Malibu V6

The electrical system in this car sucks, At the moment l have not heat at all and the car only blows cold air on setting 5

- , Plainfield, IL, USA

Feb 042010

Malibu LS 3.1L V6

The fan worked when set to 3, 4, or 5. 1 and 2 had been dead for so long I got used to it but I took it to a new mechanic and he checked the fan specifically because he knew they were prone to problems. He replaced the blower motor resistor and now the problem is gone for now...

- , Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Nov 012009

Malibu 3,3

resistor problem. i am told it's very cumbersome to replace the part. it's not expensive but installation is awkward.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Oct 012009

Malibu 3.1L

This is the second time I have had to have this done. Really? Is Chevy kidding me? Slowly losing each of my 1-5 setting for heating or air conditioning. Works now, but at my own cost each time.

- , Fort Meade, MD, USA

Aug 152003

Malibu V6

The blower on level 1 never worked (bought the car Aug 2003). Then, level 2 went out. Had it fixed summer 2006 before going on a car trip. Worked great at first. By the end of the trip, it was going out again. It would start out fine, blowing cold air, but after it had blown a while the light would go out and it would blow warm air. I usually then turn it down or up a level and then it will adjust and I can put it back to the original level. I can't even think of taking it in again for the same repairs over and over. UGH!

- , Peoria, IL, USA

Apr 012006

Malibu

All the problems I have had with the Malibu I have had from day one, they fixed them under warranty and they came back....

- , Aurora, ONT, Canada

Mar 152004

Malibu V6

Air intake switch doesn't work. This has happened 3 times!! I live in Texas and when your A/C won't blow on high, it's miserable! Or all you can get is outside air!!!! gaggggggg!! Did I mention I hate this car!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 192003

Malibu V6

I contacted Chevy about this issue several times... the blower motor went I replaced it 3 times

- , Waterbury, CT, USA

Jul 122005

Malibu V6

Blower fan only worked on 5. Managed in sneak in under the warranty with only days left - probably would have been an expensive fix

- , Markham, ONT, Canada

Apr 142007

Malibu 3.1L V6

Same problem here. Fan only works on highest setting. AutoZone sells the resistor for $23.00. Pay somebody 50 bucks and have them install it for you.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Feb 162007

Malibu 3.2L V6

I started with only levels 1 and 2 gone. Suddenly 3 is gone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on 4 & 5.

The letters that indicate what gear you are in no longer illuminate. My owner's manual says nothing about how this can be fixed.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

fan will only work on 3 or higher

- , Frankford, Ontario, Canada

Sep 262006

Malibu LS

ac only works on 3 or higher setting. this isnt the only electrical prob. ill be listing all of them

- , Jacksonvile, FL, USA