2. replaced intake manifold gasket (7 reports)
  3. replace thermostat and fan switch with a coolant flush (5 reports)
  4. replaced hoses, radiator, thermostat (4 reports)
  5. correct the design or use another manifold gasket maufacture (1 reports)
  6. got a new cap for the reserve tank (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Malibu cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu:

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 012007

Malibu V6

After I had this car for just 3 years I had to have a new transmission put in. Now I am throwing dexcool in my car left and right. It seems to only leak when the car is off, and it leaks on the drivers side on the ground. Coincidentally, my fan only works on the #5 setting for some reason, maybe unrelated to the coolant issue. I am so aggravated. I take good care of my car. I only drive about 10 miles a day. GM should be ashamed of putting out such a crappy product. I am hoping it is a hose, but from the looks of it that isn't going to be the case.

- , Oak Park, IL, USA

Sep 252007

Malibu V6

I've seen a lot of people talking about leaking coolant and what not. I had the same problem, and replaced the ENTIRE coolant system. That did not fix it.

What fixed it was a new cap. $5.99 plus tax. The cap on the reserve tank for these things is pressurized since you cannot access the radiator directly. The seals on my cap had gone bad, and once I got a new cap, the problem was solved. Try that out.

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA

Feb 212007

Malibu 3100SFI V6

either the head or the head gaskets...

- , Emerson, GA, USA

Feb 022007

Malibu 3.1L V6

The intake manifold gasket has needed to be replaced 3 times on my Malibu in the last year. Never buying a GM product again.

- , Ada, MI, USA

Jul 032006

I kept overheating, therefore replacing antifreeze. My dealer replaced everything he possibly could which luckily was mostly covered under warranty I purchased, and he ate the rest of the cost.. lucky for me.. This was only after having the car a little over a year...

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA