2001 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu:

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jul 152016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. When the vehicle was stopped, the engine continued to rev. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The repairs were made, but the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Belvidere, IL, USA

Aug 012013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the repairs were unknown. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 151,249.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 192015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle shut off without warning. In addition, the vehicle would accelerate at high speeds without warning. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 143,911. Updated 11/09/15

- Bernville , PA, USA

Jul 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled and the anti-theft warning light illuminated. The contact was able to restart the engine after a wait period. The failure recurred and the contact was unable to restart the engine. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 147,000.

- Johnson City, NY, USA

Mar 052013

Malibu

Turning the car on and the engine revs with high RPM. Car continues to accelerate on own. This can also happen randomly without any warning when driving, you can take your foot off the accelerator and the speed will increase from 20 mph up to 55 or 60 mph riding the brakes and getting to a place where you can turn the car off helps, sometimes. This is frightening and dangerous.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 142011

Malibu 6-cyl

Approached intersection in turning lane to make left turn. Upon making such turn, vehicle did not accelerate as fast as it should. Was told second driver ran red light and collided with my vehicle in a head on collision. I was informed that my vehicle was struck on front passenger side. I remember hearing the crash and the car spinning out of control. Both airbags did deploy, as I was floating over the gear shift. Was told at the scene left leg was broken at the ankle per paramedic. Right leg was confirmed broken at the ankle at the hospital. I was wearing my seat belt, I had a burn mark that lasted almost six months. I spent 22 days in the hospital, I started as ortho-trauma, went to surgery the next day to repair my left leg with 1 plate and 8 screws. Three days later, I had complications from my injuries. I went to pulmonary icu (picu). Two days after being stabilized, I went back to surgery to repair my right leg with 2 plates and 10 screws. It took 10 months to be able to walk again, with a cane and a limp... right leg is noticeably shorter than my left it took a year to have feeling to the top of my right foot at my big toe. I have lost my nursing career due to not being able to do my job. Walking and standing, lifting, bending or pushing a medicine cart for long periods of time is impossible. I have been declared dis-abled.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 042010

Malibu 6-cyl

Car was forced off road then rolled over into on coming traffic.

- Burt, MI, USA

Aug 152008

Malibu 6-cyl

Anti-theft system prevents car from starting. Falsely detects that ignition key is not the correct key for this automobile, even thou this key has been used to start the car thousands of times. To overcome the problem driver must turn off ignition, turn key to on position and wait approximately 10 minutes for the computer to register the key as being correct, turn the ignition key to off and then turn it to start to get the car started. This has happened to us at least 100 times during the past 6 years. GM service says the remedy is to replace the ignition switch at a cost of $400. This problem has been frequently reported by hundreds of thousands of GM 1998 thru 2006 automobile owners. I believe this is an engineering defect and should be repaired for free by GM. This is a safety issue with these cars and trucks.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Jun 232014

Malibu 6-cyl

One day out of nowhere while in park and idling car just died, restarted fine, then a couple days later at a stoplight died again, was able to restart and drive on, but this continued from then on everytime it was stopped and running would just die could restart when ready to drive off and it would go fine, until the last time it died while going 35 mph in traffic and I was barely able to steer out of traffic and almost couldn't stop, but wouldn't restart anymore, and still won't start. Took to a mechanic who informed me that the ignition caused the anti theft to engage and turn off components in motor, I've read I others having same problem in this same year make and model just wondering why it hasn't been recalled along with all the rest of Chevy' scars having this problem, obviously it's a bigger problem than just a couple and the last time it died on me I was lucky to not get hit.

- Twin Falls, ID, USA

Feb 172014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and the failure continued to occur over a period of five months. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,700. Updated 08/28/14 updated 09/4/2014

- Crosby, TX, USA

May 012014

Malibu

Driving car at various speeds, will accelerate by itself while driving RPM >2000 when put in park RPM >2500. When brake for light and take foot off brake car will accelerate by it self I let it go up to 45 mph this problem is intermittent, I turn engine off and turn back on it will idle normally 1000 or less. No panel warning lights pop up.

- Edgewater, FL, USA

May 132008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that there was a visible antifreeze leak. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the intake manifold gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Bridgeview, IL, USA

Nov 052013

Malibu 6-cyl

Hi, it's me.... again. Imagine that with my Chevy Malibu. I went to start the car this morning. However, it wouldn't. I could hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds then turn off. The engine would fire briefly, and then stop. The starter is working great. So I turned to google. I found, like so many of the complaints on here that the anti-theft system is to blame. It likes to random turn on, preventing the car from starting. I called the dealer to ask what Chevy was going to do to fix Chevy's busted anti-theft system. I was told to turn the key to the "on" position for 10 min. The anti-theft would reset, and then I could start me car. They forgot to tell me that it would continue to do this until I spend $500 of my own money to fix a problem Chevy knows about. Why should I have to pay to fix something that is due to poor engineering and manufacturing on Chevy's part? oh what.... corporate America says so. They are bigger than me, and therefore are more important than putting out a reliable product to consumers. Chevy is a great example of a corporate greed manager. Just man up and fix your crappy cars.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Sep 162013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure continued to occur intermittently at low speeds. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- North Braddock, PA, USA

Mar 272012

Malibu 6-cyl

I've had several issues now with the theft system on my 2001 Malibu. It happens about every couple days to weeks now & is becoming a major problem with my job & also when it happens at night when I'm in a dark parking lot, outs not the best situation to be in. Im a single mom & have had plenty of problems with this car but this seems to be the worst & constant one of them all. If GM knew this would be a problem then they should have done the right thing for their consumers & taken care of the defect, which is not our fault yet we the consumers have to pay & suffer for it.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 142012

Malibu 6-cyl

On at least 10 occasions over the past 10 years when attempting to start the vehicle the anti-theft passlock system will activate for no apparent reason, which disables the ability to start the engine by cutting off the fuel. If I turn the ignition key to on position and wait for 10 minutes, then turn the key to the off position and then attempt to start the engine it will startup successfully. This is very annoying and potentially dangerous when it happens while parked in dark parking lots late at night or operating the vehicle in very cold weather. This problem has been reported by tens of thousands of GM owners over the past several years. Why hasn't GM been forced to repair the problem.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 152005

Malibu 6-cyl

When we would just start the car it would rev up to between 3000 to 4000 RPM and it would stay that way. This was only one way that it would act up. The other ways were when you were just driving along and the car would start to accelerate on it's own. Both ways you had to ride the brake and ride it hard in order not to hit the person in front of us. We had it in to one dealer twice with nothing getting fixed. We took it to a different dealer three times, they randomly replaced different things (guessing) at our cost, but problem still persisted. We even took it in when it was revving up to 3000 RPM, while they were under the hood it even went higher! we were told to turn it off because they were afraid it would blow, but when we came back to pick it up they said that it didn't happen again and they couldn't fix it if it didn't do it for them again. They told us that the best thing for us to do was to trade the car in on a different vehicle, we told him that this thing is a problem that should be taken care of and not just traded in. We contacted GM and told them that this is a problem that can cause serious harm not only to my wife and myself but to others. GM did nothing to assist with the problem. They said that if the dealer couldn't fix it that they couldn't help us. They wouldn't even contact the dealers to see what the problems were. We have approx. 116,000 miles and it now has additional problems with the acceleration. We still have the car because we can't afford another at this time, but I feel like I'm driving a time bomb.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Oct 082008

Malibu

On at least 20 occasions over the past 4 years when attempting to start the vehicle the anti-theft system will activate for no apparent reason, which disables the ability to start the engine. If I turn the ignition key to on position and wait for 10 minutes, then turn the key to the off position and then attempt to start the engine it will startup successfully. This is very annoying and potentially dangerous when it happens while parked in dark parking lots late at night or operating the vehicle in very cold weather. This problem has been reported by tens of thousands of GM owners over the past several years. Why hasn't GM been forced to repair the problem?

- The Villages, FL, USA

Sep 102012

Malibu 6-cyl

I had my car tow to a auto services center cause it would not start, the tech told me it was the starter but said there was another problem the sub frame very rusted and the engine could fall out anytime. They replace the front sub frame, outer tie rod end, sway bar link kit, the cost was $927.39. Is G M responsible and can I be reimburse for my cost.

- Northford, CT, USA

Jul 242012

Malibu

Anti theft system on this car along with hundreds if not thousands of people have left us stranded. You call the dealer they say nothing of the reset stuff that is in the book. I did not have a book went on line last winter the first time it happened. Dealer said bring it in and get it tested never once offered the fix in book, so if they have a fix in manual don't you think they know its an ongoing issue"??" please make them do the right thing. This is the 6th time for me 3 on my way to work. Call polar Chevrolet and tell them your car wont start and anti theft system is on bet ya get the same answer I did. They are ripping the consumer off with bogus fixes for a problem they know about. I drive a school bus for a living I just need to get to work. Google antitheft Chevy Malibu check it out please! next site is abc cbs nbc and cnn.

- Hugo, MN, USA