8.0

2. clean fuel filter in tank (1 reports)
  3. fuel pump replacement (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Malibu fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu:

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Sep 262013

Malibu

the car would not start, ended up needing a replacement fuel filter and fuel pump, it worked like normal afterwards.

- , North Logan, UT, USA

Oct 202010

Malibu

There's nothing new to say...everyone has said it all. The car sounds like it wants to start, mechanics tell me I need a new fuel pump...it's the anti-theft monster. I can go months with no issues, then twice in one week it will happen. Once I sat in the sun in the parking lot in 115 degree heat...waiting ten minutes. Thank goodness it started cause I sure didn't want to walk home three miles in that heat, carrying my dog. (She couldn't walk on the sidewalk in that heat.) I've been stuck so many places and from what I've read here and elsewhere, GM doesn't care. I wonder what kind of car their wives, mothers and daughters drive...bet it's not a Chevy. My next one won't be a Chevy either. Unfortunately, I just bought a mobile home, cleared out the savings to do it and am in between jobs. How do I start my new one if I have no car and no money to get another? Oh...it wouldn't start today and the ten minutes didn't work. I'm going to try it again tomorrow. I've read that waiting can help, or keeping the key turned til the security light stops blinking may work. Or spending money to get a new ignition switch may work...did that once six years ago. Obviously, it worked for awhile. So if it doesn't start tomorrow I get to decide...pay park rent, mortgage or get car fixed. This sucks, GM!! I hate to say that I won't buy American again, but I don't like Fords either. My Hyundai was a good car. Maybe some day.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 162009

Malibu 3.2L V6

My Malibu would turn over: however, it would not start. It appears that the car is not receiving fuel. I brought it to a shop and they replaced the ignition. I was informed that the ignition controls the fuel system. This first happened in Sept, 08. I repaired it and picked the car up. About a week later the same problem occurred. I towed it back to the shop and replaced the battery. The car ran fine until 06/16/09. I have paid a significant amount of money on repairs and towing. I am now facing the same old problem. I'm at my wits end and am debating whether to just return the car, for it is a lease. I will try to start it one more time and if it does not start it will be returned. I recommend that people do not have their cars fixed at TOTAL AUTOMOTIVE 5580

- , Chilliwack, BC, Canada

Oct 292007

Malibu 3.1V6

i have an 01 Chevy Malibu i turn the key but the fuel pump doesn't always kick on i just put new fuel pump sending unit and pick up in it. i am still having same problem. try to start and it cranks but wont start. after a while i might get lucky and the fuel pump kicks on and it starts. once it starts its fine till i try to start it again. can some on please help. thanks

- , Hilliard, Ohio, USA

Mar 052007

Malibu V6

The car had always started. All i did was oil changes, battery, tires, wiper blades you know. I bought the car at 40,000 miles from city Chevy OK. I went to start car to move it in the drive way would not start. I tried and tried. nothing. I waited a few days for free time to look at it.

I could only get it to start with shooting ether in intake hole right before throttle body. I suspected a fuel problem but was unsure because i had had been getting warning lights coming on the dashboard. Autozone had checked one out to be egr temperature something or other but the car still started so i just kept rolling until this. I took the fuel filter off and had my wife turn key on and no fuel came out of the fuel line. Unsure of what to do i phoned a few friends for opinions.

My father in-law kept bugging me to take it into a dealer, oops i mean a STEALERSHIP!!! and he would pay for it. I had too much pride. I kept hemming and haughing about what i was going to do. I got online found an article for a 2000 malibu in a similar situation. It motivated me to drop the tank (by the way the article was from autobeef.) Sure enough the filter inside the fuel pump canister was varnish dirty. I took it all apart very carefully and sprayed it with starting fluid and compressed air. I put all back together and it worked. O'reillys wanted 230 something for new fuel pump assembly. I would have probably not gone through with dropping the tank if i did not read that article.

- , Yukon, OK, USA