2001 Chevrolet Malibu miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu:

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jun 052016

Everytime I go to start my car my anti-theft system kicks on and I have to wait 15 xtra mins to get anywhere

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Mar 012016

Theft system keeps coming on can't start car comes on while I drive, turn signal has a mind of its own works when it wants to, rpms go up real high while I drive and when it park, take foot off gas pedal but car seems to speed up kind of hard to stop a car that speeds up when not giving gas to it, break lights don't work when turn signal doesn't work all this happens as I am driving down the road with my to small children and of course in my driveway when the car doesn't want to start as it thinks I'm stealing my car with the key theft system break lights don't work when turn signal won't work excels in speed on its own all started in March 2016 as I just bought in February 2016.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Mar 042007

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu and I have been having a problem with my turn signals periodically not working. Some days the signal will not work one time and then the very next time it works. Other days the signals will not work at all¿both the right and left. I turn them "on" and they just don't work. Sometimes it will click a few times and then turn off. This will last for about a day or so and then they work ok for about a month sometimes longer. I can't seem to find a correlation between anything such as rain, using it a lot, etc. It can¿T be the bulb or the fuse because when they do work they blink at the normal speed. Also this has been going on for years. The first time it happened I made an appointment to have it looked at and before the appointment the blinker started working again, so I canceled. I started researching online and found out there is a recall for cars manufactured in 2001 with this same problem, the recall notice said the hazard switch needs to be replaced. It was suggested in one article when the signals stop working to push the hazards and the signal will start working and that's exactly what happened for me. I can fiddle with the hazard and get them to start working. I called my local dealer explaining the problem with my blinkers only to find out that my VIN number falls outside that range. This is a travesty. Why is it only some are being recalled and repaired with the problem, but not all" how is this decided which will be recalled and which will not" I am not sure of the actual date this started.

- Gore, VA, USA

Jun 232015

Turn signal flasher quits after few seconds

- Kittanning, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Car electrical components don't work when car is started then begin working sometime after the car is running 5-15 minutes. Gauges, radio, ac, fan, do not work and I am worried the airbags are also not working. I see many complaints about this issue on the internet ( I see the recall for replacing keys but this is the ignition switch that is failing.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 162012

After experiencing numerous steering lock up and key not turning in ignition (locked up) my Malibu would not budge out of the lock position when inserting key. I had to call a tow truck and since the key would not turn in ignition the Malibu had to be dragged onto tow truck with wheels locked. Car was towed to dealership at the cost of $70. At the dealership the Malibu had the ignition lock cylinder and case replaced and reprogrammed theft system at (labor) $247.50. The cylinder kit was (parts) $225.90 and subl code new cylinder was (other) $20 for a total of $493.40. With misc. Charges of $5 and sales tax at $29.90 the total was $528.30. Add the additional $70 towing expense and total is $598.30. I believe I am entitled to reimbursement for my expenses as this has been a recalled vehicle. I experienced on numerous occasions a locked ignition and steering which caused me to have to sit and try and try to get my key to turn the ignition. Many times I was late for work/school as I could not get the key to turn. I had to call friends and family for rides.

- Gillette, WY, USA

Dec 142012

Malibu 6-cyl

On at least 10 occasions over the past 10 years when attempting to start the vehicle the anti-theft passlock system will activate for no apparent reason, which disables the ability to start the engine by cutting off the fuel. If I turn the ignition key to on position and wait for 10 minutes, then turn the key to the off position and then attempt to start the engine it will startup successfully. This is very annoying and potentially dangerous when it happens while parked in dark parking lots late at night or operating the vehicle in very cold weather. This problem has been reported by tens of thousands of GM owners over the past several years. Why hasn't GM been forced to repair the problem.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 152011

Malibu 6-cyl

Passlock system engages randomly and car will not start. This has happened repeatedly for over a year now. We often hike in remote areas w/out cell service and could die from exposure if car didn't start. Yesterday(01/15/2011) we went to dinner at 4pm and could not leave after eating!!! car would not start after trying every 10-15 mins. For 2 hours!! waited 2 more hours and still no start!! finally got home at 10am 01/16/2011. Thank god we were out to dinner and not out in the woods as it was about 20 degrees here.

- Toronto, OH, USA

Apr 252005

Reoccuring ABS warning light on dashboard. This is the 3rd time with the ABS light displaying. We have replaced the brakes and pads, rotor and hub kit twice for this issue. This will be the third time we will have to replace and also replace the wiring harness. Dealer unable to define if there is a safety issue or target the specific problem or what the potential problem could be. General Motors will not offer any assistance even to investigate the issue for possible recall. They have placed the burden of responsibility on the owner.

- Leraysville, PA, USA

Jun 262008

This is a recurring issue with the anti theft system on a 2001 Chevy Malibu. On several occassions, the car simply refuses to start because due to a glitch in the system, my own car thinks I am trying to steal it. As the car ages, the incidents grow more and more frequent. I have been told thre times from the dealership I purchased the car from(after 3 $75 towing fees) that there is no way to disable this and there is nothing that can be done about it. I work extremely hard for my money and feel incredibly deceived by GM for not recalling this issue as I can read on several different consumer blogs that I am not the only one to complain about this issue.

- Nunica, MI, USA

Mar 152004

Malibu 6-cyl

While pulling into a parking spot in a hospital parking structure the gas throttle got stuck and I hit a brick wall approximately 10-15 miles in hour. I was only approximately 10 feet from the wall so it was a hard impact. The airbags inflated in I had minor damages to my face as a result of the crash. At the time of the crash I had my foot on the brake and I was approximately going 2-3 miles in hour because I was in the process of parking the vehicle. The car is completely totaled and my husband and I are now in the deficit of $4,000 after the insurance payoff.

- Melvindale, MI, USA

Sep 102003

Malibu 6-cyl

My upper and lower intake manifold gaskets need to be repaired. Under ca. Emssions law the intake manifold is covered but not the components or parts. The gaskets should not wear out this fast on a new car that has been keep in good repair. These parts should be recalled.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 012002

No summary.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 042002

Engine miss-fires and engine check light remains on after service.

- Evergreen Park, IL, USA

May 152001

This car has stopped in traffic 3 times. The first time was April 25, 01. The engine light came on and the car went dead someone ran over and assisted me in getting the car out of the street. It was towed to crain Chevrolet. They reprogrammed the car and I got it back the next day. May 4, 01 the car stopped again in traffic on a main thoroughfare I pulled over and a few minutes later it started back up and it stopped again. It was towed to gwatney chev. They repaired it and I got it back on May 10, 01 and it stopped again in traffic on a main thoroughfare on May 11, 01. It is now at gwatney chev. I also contacted GM and informed them that I am a risk to me and to other motorist. GM called today and said that they found the problem and are having to order a part. It will take a few days for me to get it back. Has anyone else reported problem of their 2001 Malibu stopping in traffic. The manufacturer is working with me however, I think that others should be made aware.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Mar 092001

Engine check light illuminated, and transmission had problems shifting. Dealer has not been able to correct problem.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA