2002 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Sep 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

My car is part of the GM recall #14350. My car specifically has problems with the pass lock anti-theft system allowing the car to be started. Several years ago I took it to superior Chevrolet and at that time they told me the pass lock was an ongoing issue. They could fix it but it would not stay fixed. I paid over $500 dollars and they replaced the ignition cylinder. 2 or 3 years later. Same problem. I contacted GM and was instructed to again return to a dealer and they would take care of the fix. I took my car to tom gill Chevrolet. They performed diagnostic and informed me the pass lock was the problem and for another $500 dollars they could repair it. I was under the impression GM was going to pay for repair. They said the GM representative declined the repairs. I then took my car to an authorized service center and had it rechecked. Again the diagnostic was the pass lock system. At that time the ignition cylinder was replaced again to the tune of $500. I just received my recall letter and I called jeff wyler florence Buick GMC to schedule repairs. I ask what was going to be the solution and if the repairs would fix the pass lock system anti-theft. They said no. If I wanted that fixed it was $94.50. For a new diagnostic plus parts. Really. I need the anti-theft pass lock system fixed in my car. That should have been part of the recall. Waiting to hear some good news. Please. My car now has 92,000 miles on it. I typically have to walk to or from work because it will not start when I need it to. Pass lock shuts off the fuel and you have to wait until it resets. Please help with this. Thanks

- Florence , KY, USA

Jul 232014

The vehicle wouldn't start at all, towed to the garage had to put a new ignition switch, lock cylinder with passkey security systems total, ignition switch $175.68, lock cylinder with passkey security system $230.21 labor $152 total $602.52. I called regarding this recall that I just got in the mail, and they said that I will not be refund for this. I believe that this was caused by the keys, we have had problems in the past with this, and finally had to get it to a garage to fix it rather than be stranded or in an accident.

- Buskirk, NY, USA

Jun 012005

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 5 mph, the key ejected from the ignition without warning. The vehicle crashed into the dog house. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The body of the vehicle was repaired, but the electrical failure was not. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Aug 162014

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact the stated that it was difficult to start the ignition with the key. After several attempts the vehicle started and was able to drive normally. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Lexington , TN, USA

Apr 182014

Malibu 6-cyl

Antitheft system intermittently causing car to stall and fails to restart tail lights are failing fuel system cutoff.

- Easton, PA, USA

Jul 012009

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving at about 45 mph when negotiating a turn and went to use the turn signal and it would not work. Since then it only works a quarter of the time and often the hazard relay is clicking in and out very fast like it is shorting out. If you push the hazard button in sometimes you can make the turn signals work and sometimes not. And often times the hazard will not work either. No fuses are blown?

- Martinez, GA, USA

Jul 072006

Malibu 6-cyl

Had many incidents and almost crashed where car will shut down while vehicle is moving. I had change my ignition at the GM dealership twice and my car still has the same problem. I special order my car Feb 2002 and had been the only owner of this car to present. GM dealership technician notes: - on January 16 2007, 7,879 miles. My car would not start. Put key in the ignition and the gauges went up about half way and stayed there until doors auto locked, then the gauges dropped all the way down. Tried to start and it cranked but will not start. Usually you can hear the pump priming but did not. This still happens to this date. After 20 minutes or so car did start and drove for a while. It died at a stop and would not restart. When tried to restart gauges still moved with the locks. But anti theft light was on the gauges did not come up. Technician verified concern. Car did start and drove into the shop. After several attempts the car did not start. Testing found loss of ignition 1 voltage. Technician isolated to an open circuit in the ignition switch. Technician replaced ignition switch. After a few moths I had the problem come and go and the dealership could not figure out the problem. - on November 24, 2012, 47,906 miles. Ignition will not turn over at times, and also will set off alarm when key is turned at times. Technician found code B2960, ignition pass lock sensor failing. Technician replaced lock cylinder and key, system operated as designed. But on December 17, 2012 vehicle lose power and shut off while driving on the highway. Took it back to the dealership but they could not duplicate concern while test driving it. Dealership did not do anything else and turned me away saying my car is in good working order. I have all receipts when I took my car to be fixed at the dealership. Car still have the same problem and very concerned and scared to drive it.

- Chula Vista , CA, USA

Feb 032014

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnose that the anti-theft system failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000 and the current mileage was 162,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 132013

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a hard time getting any key to turn the car on. It seems like the whole where the key goes into is very loose. I sometimes have to try to turn it up to ten times before the car will start, I have tried both keys that came with the car and even got new ones and nothing works, if I ever have to start in an emergency I won't be able to do it. My turn signals also click when not in use, I did have a recall on this years ago, but it didn't work, I 'm afraid that one day they may not work at all.

- Jessup, PA, USA

May 182013

Malibu 6-cyl

May 2013: Car hard to start; multiple attempts before engine started May 2013: Had new key made at local Chevrolet dealer December 2013: Continued problems starting car; replaced ignition switch July 1, 2014: GM announces expanded recall to include 2002 Malibu; called local Chevrolet dealer; they said we have to wait for the letter from GM; dealer did not know about expanded recall July 14, 2014: Car engine turned off while driving July 15, 2014: Called local Chevrolet dealer again; still knew nothing about expanded recall; couldn't advise as to whether car is safe to drive.

- Portage, IN, USA

Jun 012014

I'm having trouble with the ignition. Sometimes it will start right away, and then other times it will take 3 - 9 tries!! especially when it's really hot outside 90+ degrees. What's causing this. I purchased a new battery so that is not the problem!!

- Lodi, CA, USA

Apr 232005

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the ignition failed to start after numerous attempts. The contact mentioned that in a different occasion the engine stalled twice and restarted immediately. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer on three separate occasions where the ignition switch was replaced each time. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 16,152. Updated 08/14/14

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Jun 082014

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2002 Chevrolet Malibu ls left me stranded at a busy fueling station. The car refused to start due to the faulty passlock ignition switch system. These parts were replaced at an authorized GM service center at approximately 47,000 miles due to the same issue of refusing to start. Now at around 21,000 miles later the parts have failed again. GM and NHTSA need to resolve these safety issues. I don't feel safe in this car, and I don't believe it is reliable. Wake up this is yet another GM ignition problem that has been known for decades! anyone in doubt just do an internet search on GM passlock or Chevrolet Malibu ignition problems.

- Corning, OH, USA

Feb 052014

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled intermittently multiple times. The contact's VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (electrical system) or NHTSA campaign id number 14V252000 (electrical system). The vehicle was scheduled for diagnostic testing and to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Apr 142010

Ignition lock not working right. Problem creating battery problems killing battery. Creating problem with alarm system. Lock dose not go to off position with out pushing floor shifter forward. Also key seams like it dose not want to go to right position feels weird when turning.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 252014

Malibu 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer requests reimbursement for ignition switch recall repairs. The consumer stated while driving, the vehicle suddenly stalled for the third time. He was able to drift to the side of the shoulder of the roadway. He tried cranking the vehicle, but it would not start. He had the vehicle to a local garage. The ignition switch was replaced. The consumer received a recall notice, dated September 2014. Updated 10/15/14.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 052014

A few months ago my 2002 Chevy Malibu would not start. I reset the theft system for 10 minutes and then everything was fine. Then about a month later the theft system light would come on sporadically and then eventually stay on. I took it to my local mechanic and was told that the ignition switch needs to be changed out. Shortly after that I heard about the GM recall but for some reason the 2002 Chevy Malibu is not included. I have seen a lot of people online having the same problem I have. My car currently has 84,500 on it. I take extremely good care of it. I have to drive to college and I am afraid of being stranded on the side of the road due to this issue.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Sep 242008

Malibu 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to ignition recall and seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated the vehicle shut down 3 times. The ignition lock cylinder was replaced.

- Lebanon, WI, USA

Jun 162010

Purchased 2002 Chevy Malibu back in 2005 with 26000 miles on it.we had it serviced twice a year and for minor issues,2009 manifold gasket started leaking replaced and was 2010 started noticing when starting ABS and theft light came on turning key off and turning key on and not starting letting on for about 15 minuets than turning off and starting car lights went off. This needed done every time this happen.asked and was told there was a problem in my switch but no one stepped up to fix this problem.this car left me sit five times from shut off and will not start. Had it towed and they did work on every thing else thinking it would solve the problem.had car stop running all lights came on while driving.I think this issue started back in 2001 and all these years they knew about it and didn't do anything about they are saying this is not in their recall.

- Conestoga ., PA, USA

Mar 012014

My handicapped mother has a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu that has been experiencing the same exact ignition related issues as those in the current massive GM recall. On more than two occasions the anti-theft light illuminates and the vehicle shuts off while she was driving. This has resulted in two significant repeat repairs, one in 2010 and one this week. In both cases the Chevrolet dealership describes the issue as an ignition pass lock sensor that fails due to key positioning. I have researched this online and have found hundreds of similar complaints. Luckily this issue has not resulted in an injury but easily could have in the very congested metro DC area that she lives in. Why is the Malibu not being included in the current investigation and recalls?

- Fairfax, VA, USA