2002 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Jul 082009

Malibu

I own a 2002 Chevy Malibu that won┐T start about every third time. The car will not start due to GM's defective passlock anti theft system. The passlock sensor has been replaced twice since I purchased the car in August of 2006. The sensor is now acting up again and it seems like this system needs to be repaired almost every year. Thousands of other Malibu owners are experiencing this issue.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Jun 272009

Malibu

The body control module "misread" vehicle ignition key and would not allow the vehicle start.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 232009

Malibu

Theft system kicks in and wont let the car start. This is the 2nd time this has happen to me and I know several people this has happen to. I contacted Chevrolet and they told me to contact you all maybe U all could help us get this issue fixed.

- Clarksville, IN, USA

Apr 282009

Malibu

My 2002 Chevy Malibu has been having problems since I bought it at about 104,000 miles but I am sure that it was having problems well before I bought it because of the low price I paid for it, but I needed a car badly. I have always had problems starting my car and usually would have to turn it on to make sure all the lights come on, not just the anti-theft light. If only the anti-theft light comes on, its guaranteed to not start. At exactly 111,111 miles my car would not start at all no matter how many times I took the key out and put it back in. It kept flashing the anti-theft at me! I replaced the idol speed motor and for some reason it started. A week later it wouldn't start again. I read about tricks online to get the car to start because this seems to be a prominent problem with 2002's. I finally got the car started. A few days later I was driving on a busy highway when I came to a stop light and my car just shut off. I was still able to use my breaks, thank god, but had to sit there in the middle of traffic trying to start my car for several minutes. I keep thinking what if this happens when my 2-year-old is with me" what if this happens in the dark and someone rear ends me because my lights go out" I have had the fuel pump checked, the fuel injectors, the idle speed motor replaced every time I replace something it works for a few days or weeks then it starts to act up again. The point is that the problem always comes back and it seems to get worst, and happens more frequently with every failure. The problem could be the ignition cylinder witch is what I am having fixed next, but I have acquaintances that have had the same problems that come back even after replacing the ignition cylinder. My biggest concern is having everything die again while I am driving because its not just a inconvenience anymore, it is a safety issue that Chevy needs to address before there are deaths and or serious injuries.

- St. Peter, MN, USA

Feb 282009

Malibu

Intake gasket went in car cost $740 to fix, the coolant was mixing with oil. I didn't have heat couldn't see out back window. The signals work when they want, the rear defroster don't work, my husband has fixed it 2X and put in shop, still don't work. My car gets service when its time. There's a sound in the dashboard sound like wires rubbing together and you get a little shock when you get out car. I hope I don't be driving and my car catch on fire with me in it. I think my car was in the bad batch section.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 252009

Malibu

2002 Chevy Malibu won't start occasionally passlode problem diag at local dealer ignition replaced and keys reprogrammed cost $398.60.still have problem that we took car to dealer in first place for. Dealer can not fix problem what do we do this is unsafe for wife and young child to become stranded on a daily bases. I have done some research and have come to find out that this is an ongoing problem with the passlock systems from GM. We have also had to replace the intake manifold gasket and have sense learned about the ongoing problems with the dexcool coolant causing gasket failure.we need help.

- Bostic, NC, USA

Jan 012008

Malibu

Passlock II theft deterrent system not allowing car to start and sometimes shutting the engine off while driving. The problem started around 70,000 miles with the theft light once in awhile coming on and blinking on the dashboard and not allowing the car to start, unless you waited 10 minutes with the ignition key in the "on" position until the theft light went off. Then around 80,000 miles "almost" every time you would try to start the car you would have to wait for the lights on the dash and the fuel pump to turn on before starting the car, which was most likely a result of the passlock II resistors not registering in the ignition key tumbler. There was also a couple of times when the car completely shut off and once while trying to merge onto a major highway. After reading about how common the passlock II problem was on some of the GM vehicles and how expensive it was to fix a problem that could possibly return anyway, we decided to just get another vehicle.

- Highland Lakes, NJ, USA

Jan 012007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. When the contact turned the ignition, the vehicle failed to start due to the anti-theft device. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop several times and the mechanic changed an unspecified part. This did not correct the failure. The failure was diagnosed as the electrical panel, but the failure could not be corrected because it could cause other components in the electrical panel to fail. The vehicle is still at the repair shop. A report was filed with the manufacturer and the contact was informed that they would not be able to assist if the vehicle was not taken to a GMC dealer. The failure mileage was 60,000 and current mileage was 90,000.

- New Iberia , LA, USA

Oct 012008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. While leaving the highway at an unknown speed, the contact noticed that the turn signals failed. The failure has occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they could not determine the cause of the intermittent failure. The dealer replaced the upper and lower head gasket seal, but the failure was not corrected. The rack and pinion failed and was replaced in 2006 and again in October of 2008. The failure mileage was 30,000 and current mileage was 52,300.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Aug 112008

Malibu

I bought a 2002 Chevy Malibu from a car dealership. Once I drove off the lot the blinkers stopped working for me, they were working during the test drive. After trying to figure out what was going on I found that the problem was connected with the emergency lights box. Whenever it was in a certain position the blinkers would work otherwise they did not. I tried fixing it with some rubberbands and duct tape- for some reason that worked for awhile but now it's acting up again! help!

- Parker, CO, USA

Nov 282008

Malibu

2002 Malibu theft system light issue.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Nov 012008

Malibu

Pass 11 security system - replaced and not working again.

- Ottumwa, IA, USA

Sep 252008

Malibu

The anti theft system on the 2002 Chevy Malibu does not allow the owner to start car and have to sit in a parking lot for 10 minutes for it to recognize the key, not safe for a female and teen girl drivers. This occurs every 10 starts and Chevy will fix for 500 dollars, with no guarantee.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jul 032008

Malibu

I was driving my car and the theft system light came on, when I shut the car off it refused to start again. I had heard that if you turn the key forward for ten minutes that it would reset and the car would then start again. In my case the car wouldn't start. I had to have it towed to the GM dealership and have it put on a tester. They then informed me that the cars BCM had gone out the whole computer system and the anti theft system. Therefore it cost me $1,250 dollars. I find that to be crazy. GM needs to recall these parts on this car I could have bought another car for that amount!!!

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Feb 122008

Malibu

I have a 2002 Chevy Malibu and the anti theft system has shut off the gas line 5 times in the past 6 months. The car will not start I had it towed to the repair shop where they put it on the computer and found no problems. After putting the key in the on position and waiting 10 minutes it starts. Is there a recall on a defective anti-theft system?

- Gray , ME, USA

May 152008

Malibu

Ran several errands and the car started fine three times that morning. The fourth time it would crank but not turn over. Let it sit for 30 minutes and tried again. Same problem. Let it sit for 4 hours. Same problem. Also, car making random turn signal noises for the past month. Mechanics are now replacing ignition cylinder and switch to the tune of $600. Wish I would've read about this problem online to try other solutions first.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Jan 282008

Malibu

I am continually having problems with my 2002 Chevy Malibu. I had the theft system continually come on and paid $700 to fix that. Fuel pump went bad...$500. I had the coolant system leak and paid $800 to fix that. Every time I get my brake pads replaced, the rotors need replaced too, until the last time when the calibers had to be replaced as well $900. Now I am having difficulty starting my piece of junk.

- Wesley Chapel, FM, USA

May 262007

Malibu 6-cyl

I am the owner of a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu with just over 50,000 miles use. Over the past 6 months the car has exhibited a failure to start. A little research shows that this is the result of a common failure of the GM passlock system. The temporary fix is to reset the system by turning the ignition key to the on position and waiting 10-15 minutes. Needless to say, this is very annoying and inconvenient. At this point it doesn't represent an immediate safety issue, in that the ignition system isn't shutting down while the vehicle is moving. However, I am concerned that the inability to move the vehicle does represent a safety issue. My stepson uses this car to travel to work and to college. I don't want to have to worry about his safety if he can't start the car in an emergency situation, e.g., to avoid criminal activity. If this were a small thing to have repaired, I wouldn't complain so much, but my mechanic tells me it will cost nearly $500. As I said above, this problem is quite common--or so my internet research tells me. GM should recall this poorly designed mechanism. Thank you. --ted kriner

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Feb 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

My car is a 2002 Chevy Malibu. I am experiencing turn signal failure and hazardous emergency light failure the turn signal works on occasion only. There are times when it does not work at all ( many occasions ). an average % of how often it works is about 5 %, the other 95 % of the time it doesn't work at all. My emergency lights won't come on sometimes. There is a clicking noise being heard within the car almost all of the time. The sound appears to be coming from the hazard emergency light switch. Also, my remote keyless entry is not working. It won't unlock the car doors or the trunk. I have to press it at close range at least about 10 times maybe more before it will unlock the car doors or open the trunk.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 272006

Malibu 4WD 4-cyl

Malibu 2002 purchased on May 18, 2003 with 33,000 miles. On July 15, 2003 there was a problem with the coolant system and car overheated. According to dealer car was fixed. On June 1, 2004 there was a problem with the electrical system. June 27, 2006 with 72, 000 miles, there is oil in coolant reservoir and a coolant leak. There was a lower intake leak and leak at water pump. The lower intake and water pump was replaced but on July 17, 2006 the same problem came again. July 17, 2006 only a few weeks after the problem with oil in the coolant reservoir, same problem occurred and dealer does not want to take responsibility for it.

- Reedley, CA, USA