2.6

2002 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 252007

Malibu 6-cyl

Anti-theft system prevented from being able to start on the car. I was able to reset it by turning the key on and waied 15 to 20 minutes. Once this started happening all the time I had to replace the ignition.

- Huntingtown, MD, USA

Jan 012007

Malibu 6-cyl

Anti theft system problem in Malibu. Car will not start unless key is left in the ignition for 10 mins. Happens about 3 times a day.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Jun 012007

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving the vehicle, the anti-theft system indicator illuminated and the vehicle shut off. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic who stated that this is a common failure. He also stated that even when the system is repaired, the unit will fail again at some point. The manufacturer made the contact an offer to participate in a study and stated that there were no recalls for her vehicle. The vehicle has remained at the shop since the date of the failure. The engine size was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 74,000.

- Stager Heights, OH, USA

Apr 252007

Malibu 6-cyl

My wife was out doing daily errands and when she went to start the car it would turn over but not start. Then, after trying several times over the next several hours it still wouldn't start. Car was then towed to a automobile mechanic, and the next day before any work was done the car started, and they couldn't find anything wrong. Then, a few weeks later my wife and son were out doing errands again and same thing happened, but luckily after a half hour of trying to start the car it did start. The battery was just over a year old, and no other noticeable problems. I was afraid that my wife and 1 year old child were going to end up stranded. The only thing I was told bwas that it could be linked to the factory security code used in the car, but no one stated that they could test for that, they just assumed thats what happened. Has any one else had this problem.

- Farmington Hills , MI, USA

Apr 272007

Malibu 6-cyl

The ignition switch has had to be replaced twice on this vehicle. The theftlock key pass sensor keeps failing and makes it impossible to start the vehicle. To correct this the entire ignition switch module has had to be replaced twice. I am told that there is no way to disable the theftlock feature.

- Forest Grove, OR, USA

Dec 042005

Malibu 6-cyl

I own a car rental company and the primary vehicle in my fleet is the 01-03 Chevy Malibu. Over the past 14 months the ignition anti-theft system has left my customers stranded and frustrated. One customer was stranded at night in a wal-mart parking lot with her small kid while sitting through a heavy rain storm. All of our keys/spares are original and purchased from GM dealers but the problems remains.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Feb 202007

Malibu 6-cyl

Anti theft system is defective. Bought the car 1 year ago. First happened in August 06. Happened again in January. Now in February it has happened 3 times in the past week. Car will not start, have to reset the key and I have found no one who has taken this problem to the dealer have it completely fixed. There are hundreds of complaints about this problem on Malibu's starting with 99-04 models. Now light will come on while driving down the road. Have read several complaints about the car shutting off while driving. Afraid for my safety, my children's safety, and the safety of others. GM will not acknowledge this problem even exists, but thousands of other Malibu owners have. "quick fix" solutions are now going around the internet telling people to cut wires in their dash to "fix" the problem. GM needs to fix this before someone cuts the wrong wire and kills someone in result to fixing GM screw up.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jan 302007

Malibu

Consistent problems with the "theft deterrent" system, resulting in failure to start. Dealer has replaced the same part three times. Last time they replaced it again, and charged me for the tow to get the car back. This has happened six times now in the past year.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 092007

Malibu 6-cyl

First incident of leaking happened after dealership worked on car. Arrived home coolant poured out on ground towed back. Dealership said reservoir cap seal. 10/2006 or 11/2006, picking up at school and smelled not engine. Parked saw coolant on ground. No engine light on but needle was past middle. Family brought coolant filled it up and went 5 blocks to dealership. They said nothing was wrong. Yesterday, 1/9/2007 car overheated in the school line. Added coolant. I brought it to a non dealership radiator shop owner thinks intake manifold gasket leaking. Car at dealership. I really don't know what the real problem is but because my warranty expired feel dealership will tell me it is a new problem from the first event so I will be responsible. At least two rotors replaced on the front driver's wheel & 5 sets of pads. Reported to GM they claim it is the way I drive! a non dealership tire company had the pads replaced with a good brand. 1 1/2 years since I had to have pads. Problem with the right front passenger door locks. Car is running and the driver gets out leaving car on and then the passenger turns off the car and gets out, locks car, the radio stays on. I went inside the store and came out and the radio was still playing. When you unlock the car but enter only the passenger front door and then close it and walk away, the car locks itself. Happened several times. I had not placed the keys on the seat of the car and shut the door or I would have been locked out. I reported this but no one seemed to care. Radio was replaced for left button paint (not sure if it is paint or cover on button) rubs off. Ignition switch was replaced. Fuel pump replaced.. I Transport grandchildren and I need a safe car.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 042007

Malibu 6-cyl

Theft system light came on a few times in the past few months, then car wouldn't start last night. Car went to mechanic and they replaced ignition lock cylinder and ignition switch. Old parts are available.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Oct 302006

Malibu 6-cyl

Theft system engages and prevents car from starting.

- Huntingtown, MD, USA

Oct 132006

Malibu 6-cyl

The anti-theft device was triggered for no apparent reason, causing the engine to turn over but not start. This is the second time this has happened in the last six months. Last time I was charged about $65 to re-set the immobilizer. This time (a different mechanic) I was charged $570 to replace the key and ignition cylinder, after he was unable to re-set the immobilizer. I see that this is a common issue with this vehicle. When will a recall be imposed? the car has only about 55,000 miles on it.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Oct 102006

Malibu 6-cyl

Turn signal failures, emergency signal failure & theft system my car's signals work off and on. When I go to use my turn signal sometimes it does not work sometimes it does. What I usually have to do is activate the turn signal and then hold down the emergency hazard button which may or may not activate my signal to work. If I can not get this to work then I am unable to use my signals at all. The theft system activates on the car causing the car not to start until I allow it to sit for 10 minutes to correct its self. Sometimes the car will not restart after the 10 minutes that the manual says to wait. My car is a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 192006

Malibu 6-cyl

Purchased this 2002 Malibu used from local Chevy dealer. First incident, after a brief stop at a gas station the car wouldn't restart. Turned over but no fire. Had it towed to a repair shop who informed me that the theft-deterrent system was stopping the car from starting. They explained that only a dealer can process or recycle this problem. They did a temporary "recycle" of the system and the car started back up. I planned to take the car to the dealer within the next couple of weeks to follow up, but then it happened again, at a store, cranked no fire, theft light flashing, same exact symptoms. I was told at the repair shop that this is a chronic problem with these models. They charged me $70 for the diagnostic time spent, and I was thankful that the car would at least start. Now it's stuck in a parking lot across town and I can't even get it towed (no tow coverage). My fear is this happening repeatedly. First event was on June 19, second on June 30. I am curious about all the different "tricks" I am hearing about to bypass the system and get the car to start. One said I should turn the steering wheel quickly side to side while applying my foot to the accelerator, and turn the ignition, another said to try switching keys, (which I did try but it didn't work). Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated! if I could get it to start then I could at least get it to the dealer - I am a single mom, very broke, no resources to fall back on for this repeat event so soon. I haven't even mentioned the constant burned out brake lights- I replace the bulbs and they blow within a couple of days...no visible electrical line damage, either...

- Lansing, MI, USA

May 092006

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2002 Chevy Malibu ls would not start and needed towed home. This is the first time this has happened and seems to happen regularly to other Malibu owners with no recall from GM yet. I have a young child and wife that drive use the car mostly and am worried of their safety if this would happen on a highway. I have also had problems with the windshield wipers quitting during a rainstorm. I contacted GM and I was told there was no recall and all repairs would be out of pocket even though this is a safety issue. The vehicle only has 50,000 miles on it.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Mar 122006

Malibu 6-cyl

Intermittent problem with car starting due to failure of theft deterrent system. This condition left my wife stranded a number of times until the car started after 10 minutes.

- Sidney, OH, USA

Apr 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

I own a used 2002 Chevy Malibu, purchased in June 2005. For the last three weeks, once a week the anti theft device system has engaged not allowing me to start the car. The 1st time it happened I had it towed to the garage and they could not find the problem. The second two times this occurred I had to leave the key in the on position for thirty minutes then have some one jump start the car. Thus making me late to work on both occasions. I went on line to yahoo type in anti theft system Chevy and found five pages of the same complaint from other Malibu owners one woman was driving on the highway when it happened and the car just stopped in traffic she could have been killed. What we all want to know is why this matter has not been brought to the publics attention and recalled by the manufactured. Would you please look into this matter and reply to either my E-mail or my home address. Thank you very much. Wendie price

- Lisbon Falls, ME, USA

Mar 192006

Malibu 6-cyl

Attempting to start car, theft system light comes on and disables car. Have to have it towed to dealer to get fixed. Non-dealer mechanic cannot fix. Only GM or Chevy dealer. This is the third time this has happened with this vehicle. I had a 98 same model that did the same thing at least 4 times.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Nov 262005

Malibu 4WD 6-cyl

I first purchased this Malibu 2002 in Feb 2002. Nov 02 ( 9 mos later) I had to have my ignition switch replaced which was under warranty. Around the same time my turn/hazard signal went out and I haven't had it replaced yet after 4yrs of having this car. If I want to use it I have to keep pressing the hazard button to make it come on. Nov 2005 I tried to start my car, but it kept cutting off. My dad stated it was the fuel pump. I had the fuel pump, crank sensor and module replaced. My car still didn't start. Finally my dad went under the steering wheel and pressed this black button (cut off switch) and that was the only way it would start. I have to travel 25 miles to work so I was tired of worrying about the car. I thought it was the theft system. I took my car to the dealer 11/29/2005 they had the car until 12/15/2005. I was told that it was my ignition switch, crank sensor and my alarm/automatic starter. I was out of $366.73 to the dealer and taking a cab to work at 5:30am for X7dy coasted$210. I was also out of money for a rental car for the last 7ys they had my car plus gas on both because they used all gas in my car. I have had X2 ignition switches put on my car, I have to change my tail/park/brake bulb seemingly every 6mos. I am only getting my hazard/turn signal replaced when NHTSA reviews it as being an defect. I am having a hard time with the speed of my car also on the E way. I have to put my foot to the floor in order to make it take off at 60mph. I have to put gas in my car every 3dys. I last changed my fuel filter 1yr ago and again having it replaced 1/1/06. My check engine light came on 1wk after I got my car out of the shop on 12/22 and it has been on since. My coolant light comes and goes off every now and then. I have had my coolant/fuel flushed. I had it winterized what's the problem. If we have 47-50 people complaining about the same thing why cant it get done. Please respond and help us Chevy owners asap/wf.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 302005

Malibu 6-cyl

Vehicle would not started due to the anti-theft system failure. When put the key in ignition it would not start. Had to have it towed to the mechanic, then had it towed to dealer. This happened on July 30, 2005. The dealer stated there was nothing wrong with the vehicle, however the consumer disagreed. Updated on 06/05/2006.

- Baltimore, MD, USA