2. covered under gm special policy # 04098a (4 reports)
  3. hazard light switch recall (2 reports)
  4. part of little-known recall (1 reports)
  5. replace the hazard switch (1 reports)
  6. replace the turn signal (1 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 012007

Malibu LS V6

About a year ago the turn signals on my car started to fail. I noticed that if you hit the dash or pressed the Hazard lights button then the signals would function. So, every time I drive I am constantly hitting one of the two in order to make the turn signals function! Now, a year later the Hazard lights button is broken and the turn signals rarely work!

- , Highland, IN, USA

Jul 022007

Malibu V6

I have had some very close calls where the flashers do not work, mainly when it is raining and if that is not enough when I call the chevy dealer where is live tells me that they are not sure what the problem is. The radio will not work when it is 75 degrees or more and the service person at the dealership just laughed at me and said that he has never heard such a thing. After a bad day a work or dealing with the dealer trying to get my car repaired I need to listen to some music when I am driving home. I also got a letter in the mail about the flashers but I feel the dealer puts it off for they will have to repair it at no charge.

- , Logan, WV, USA

Jan 072008

Well, my signal goes out in my Malibu a lot! Most of the time it does this when it is raining outside. Something under my hood gets wet(?) and my signal stops working. The 1st time this happened, when I would turn my car off, my odometer and my radio would stay on. The mechanic told me that it was something not registering when I put my car in Park. All that matters is that my signal still hesitates on working; this should be grounds for a recall considering the other reports that have been submitted!

- , North Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 112005

Malibu LS

My turn signals and hazard lights went from working, to working intermittently, to usually not working at all. It was a serious safety hazard. Very scary, especially on busy roads. Got a letter in the mail, saying a part in the signals were messed up and took it in to my Chevy dealer and got it repaired free of charge.

- , Westmont, IL, USA

Oct 032007

Malibu 3.1L

Turn signal will not work occasionally. I have to pound on the dash near the emergency flasher button and so far this has worked. There must be a sticky relay or something. I'm sure this will not work one of these days. Sounds like this is a common problem.

- , Bismarck, ND, USA

Oct 182007

Malibu V6

At about 20,000 mi I noticed my directionals would either not come on or turn off before I made my turns. I also noticed my hazards wouldn't stay on. After awhile I discovered that pounding on my dashboard would sometimes get them to work. I received a recall notice when it was sent out but never had the time to get it fixed. Now 70,000+ miles later they have stopped working all together. Attempts to locate a fix have been futile without putting the car in the dealership. This is a real hardship because the second car I have is used by my daughter.

- , Trenton, NJ, USA

Sep 282007

Chevy should acknowledge problem and do a recall

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 242007

Malibu Sedan 3.2L V6

The turn signal in my Malibu did not always work when in use. I risked many accidents when my turn signal failed to work in heavy traffic! I had to take the car to the local Chevy dealership to have the entire signal rod replaced. The part was $156 and wound up costing me about $200 for the entire repair. It works fine now, but this seems to be another problem that is shared by many Malibu owners. Chevy should step up and take responsibility for its defective part!

- , Anderson, SC, USA