2002 Chevrolet Malibu miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu:

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Aug 032016

I purchased my used car in the fall of 2015. Since then, I have experienced several incidents - now occurring more frequently - in which my car will not start because the anti-theft system believes I am trying to steal it. When I turn the key in the ignition, the car will not start and the anti-theft light starts blinking. I must wait exactly 10 minutes with the key in the "on" position for the light to stop blinking. Then I can restart the car and it works fine. This has happened several times in the past few weeks. I have looked online for solutions to this problem, and have discovered that numerous Malibu owners have experienced the exact same problem. I have been stranded in dark parking lots multiple times, and do not feel safe knowing that my vehicle regularly will not start without a ten minute delay.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Jul 052016

I had the recall done on 11-26-14 for GM will notify owners, and dealers will install two key rings and an insert in the key slot or a cover over the key head on all ignition keys, free of charge. The recall began on September 9, 2014. GM's number for this recall is 14350. Now the chip in the ignition switch keeps going in to tamper mode. The car will not start and the computer has to be reset to make it start. I have had to have it towed 2 times in the last 8 days! so now I have to pay over $500 to have it replaced! this should be covered under the recall! the key fix did not fix the problem. The car has only 124 thousand miles on it! prostrollo motor co. In madison, sd 570472 605-256-9111 is the dealership repairing it and said many other cars like mine have had to do this also!!! what a rip off!

- Madison, SD, USA

Sep 142015

The theft system light appears on dash when key is put into the ignition, upon turning the ignition, car won't start, due to the theft system light, why does my car not recognize my key? this is a defect in the manufacturing. The car shouldn't "think" the owner is trying to steal it. Had to get car towed to dealership, they told me the ignition cylinder needs to be replaced, quoted me 613$ plus tax. I am forced to get it replaced. The service adviser said upon replacement, they would need to reprogram the computer to recognize a new key! again, this is defective manufacturing, this isn't just a bad battery, or bad alternator, this is a computer glitch that has nothing to do with the motor, but a faulty built in theft system. The computer failing in a vehicle programmed by its manufacturer needs to be recalled and fixed. This isn't the consumers fault. I am lucky my motor didn't cut off while driving, because previous to not starting up at all, the theft system light would go on while driving down the road.

- Lake Hughes, CA, USA

Aug 112015

Factory power sunroof switch has premature intermittent failure causing the window to stop midway or open partially. Closure is also partial or stopping midpoint. The switch failure requires multiple attempts to open and or close the glass. All other power accessories work as intended including other power window switches. Vehicle has never been modified or or damaged.

- Corning, OH, USA

Jul 012015

I had an ignition switch replaced by a dealer (dimmitt Chevrolet, clearwater, fl) because my key was stuck in it. The same dealer also replaced my key and key casing because of a recall. After that I starting noticing that my car would intermittently cut off forcing me to put in neutral and restart. I thought it may be a clogged fuel filter and had that replaced. The issue still exists and it is a dangerous situation to me and my family not knowing when my car will just stop running, especially while driving at highway speeds. I checked and do not see a GM recall on my model for some reason.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 242015

When attempting to start my son's 2002 Chevy Malibu the anti-theft light came on, and the car would crank but not start. I looked online and found that this is a common pass lock sensor issue. The key needs to be in the on position for at least 10 minutes (until the anti-theft light goes off), then turn the key to the off position, take the key out, then put the key back in, and it will start. This is a known issue and can be referenced on numerous online sites, so there is no reason this should not be a recall issue. Mechanics will tell you it is the fuel pump, fuel lines, or the ignition, and you can spend a great deal of money without solving the issue. At $300-$450 (estimates) you can have the ignition switch replaced, but this is a known issue and should be on the recall list. I do not want my teenage son stranded for something that GM knows about and should replace.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Feb 282014

I was driving my vehicle at 35 mph when I went over a small pot hole on father hurley blvd. My right knee smashed against my key ring on the front dash area. Thee car lost immediate power. I could not accelerate or steer my vehicle. I had to slowly coast over to the side of the road until I came to a complete stop. Vehicles around me had a difficult time avoiding me since this event happened as I was approaching a lane merging with mine as they exited a major freeway. When the vehicle had completely stopped I put on my hazard lights and put it in park. I noticed that the key was not fully engaged in the ignition so I pushed it all the way back into the ignition and turned the key over. The car immediately started up and I was able to drive home safely. This is the 3rd time an event like this (where my knee has bumped up against the key ring and the car lost power) has happened in my history of owning this vehicle.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Jul 142010

Malibu 6-cyl

Sometimes the car starts sometimes it don't it gives you no notice that it not going to start.

- Paradis, LA, USA

Jul 142009

I have had several problems with the passlock II / theftsystem in my 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. This is a recurring issue, that seems to happen 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes more, in the past week it has happened twice. When this happens it results in me having to turn my ignition to on for ten minutes, and wait patiently in hopes this will let me start my own car. I think this is something that needs a serious inquiry by someone. I have contacted the dealership with no avail. I am hoping someone will help the people who are being stranded in that dark parking lot alone at 3am. Please do something about the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu theftsystem/ passlock, please.

- Melbourne , FL, USA

May 252004

Malibu 6-cyl

A trash bag had wrapped around the axle of a 2002 Chevrolet Malibu resulting in the brake hose ripping. The cv boot was also crushed due to the consumer running over a large trash bag.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Feb 152003

The rotors on this vehicle warped within the first year and continue to warp every two to four months. This is causing wear on the brakes which had to be replaced at 21338 miles at my cost and again at 31474 miles at the dealers cost.

- Athens, NY, USA

Jul 252003

Problems getting dealership to pay for recall repair. The dealer stated the vehicle mileage needed to be between 43K-45K miles. The consumer requested her money back.

- Suffern, NY, USA