8.0

1. wait 10 minutes and car starts (14 reports)
  3. replaced ignition switch (4 reports)
  4. turn key on until lght goes off then turn key off for 30 seconds (4 reports)
  5. recall the stinking thing (3 reports)
  6. added an after-market remote starter, which bypasses the anti-theft system (2 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu:

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 002000

Malibu 3.2L

This problem showed up after I paid $350.00 to replace the fuel pump.

Also had to replace lock cylinder and signal switch.

- , Enfield, CT, USA

May 042013

Malibu 3.1L V6

After seeing other people have this problem with the theft system, then their car didn't run right, makes me believe my car is starting to have the same fuel pump issue starting. My car has started to run weird, surges or acts like its not getting gas for a split second. The car has been running great until about 2 and half weeks ago. I hope it doesn't die before I set up an appointment with my mechanic.

- , Racine, WI, USA

Feb 152013

Malibu V6

I am usually a calm person but this problem has me seeing red. My daughter has a Malibu that she purchased when she was in high school; she now attends a jr. college. In the past, she has had a problem with the Malibu that re-surfaces. The first time, the car would not start, we had to have it towed to the garage closest to us. First, my husband went through all the usual things that need to be checked and all of it was fine so paying for the tow was the next step. The mechanic knew what the problem was and did what I now call 'the 10 minute fix' and sure enough it worked. He did ask about her key but it was a Chevrolet key and was the one that came with the car. Yes, it was purchased used. Thank goodness it happened when she was at home.

Several months later, the same thing happened...car would not start but this time she was in a parking lot away from home and could not reach us. Thank goodness she was able to get in touch with someone who picked her up and brought her home. We used the '10 minute fix' and got the car started and went to the garage that we usually use for all our repairs, etc.

We told them about the first time that it happened. They checked it all the usual things which were ok. They looked at the key and said that it was not the original key that had come with the car. They installed a new ignition cyclinder and re-set everything. No problem until today!

This time, she was about 60 miles away from home. A mechanic who lived close by checked out the car and is not sure what is wrong with it. Tomorrow we are going to where the car is to check it out. From what she and her boyfriend have told us, we are sure that the 'old' problem is back.

I am mad that this keeps happening, especially when she (and we) take such good care of our vehicles.

Thank goodness I decided to check out the internet and found this site. I have discovered that we are not alone. This 'anti-theft' system seems to lock out the owners more than keeping the thieves at bay. I have done my best to remain civil but my patience is being to wear thin with this senseless problem that the company should have resolved by now.

- , Mt. Olive, MS, USA

Aug 012012

Malibu 3.1L

Yes had the same problem call stalling while driving, seen the post where you cut the yellow wire in the ignition while the car is running put a toggle switch inline, and so far problem solved !!!!! Car does not stall anymore and no more problems starting.

- , Chicopee, MA, USA

Dec 012009

Malibu LX V6

Awful - have been late to work and appointments many, many times due to this!!!

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 012006

Malibu 3.2L V6

I bought this car in 2006 and shortly after I one day could not start the car. The anti theft light was flashing. A friend that at one time owned a 2003 Malibu told me to turn the key to on position and wait 10 minutes for the anti theft light to stop flashing and go off, then start the car. That method works every time but I am telling you this crap happens so often it has become more that a pain in the ass. Some days it happens 4-5 times. It may not happen again for a couple of weeks and then suddenly I am stuck somewhere again. I am so over it and do not understand why this has not been recalled. Something needs to be done about this!

- , St Petersburg, FL, USA

Oct 202011

Malibu LS 3.1L V6

2003 Malibu is crap!!! I'm so sick & tired of being stranded when my car won't start because of the passlock system. I've had a fuel pump replaced, new keys made, computer codes cleared, door switches replaced, ignition lock replaced, water pump replaced...nothing fixes this. Currently, I'm missing work right now (2nd day in row, after being stranded in parking lot at 1am the other night, and breaking key off in ignition out of frustration, car towed and key replaced). Car started fine after that. Today, same problem - no start!!! One thing I've recently noticed is for the car to start, I have to wait 'daytime" so the daytime lights will not come on, so I can begin the 3 x10 minute reset procedure. (not cool when I should be at work at 630am) Not sure if this is even what makes it work, but I know the car will not start when dark. period! I have to keep the battery charger (for new battery!) handy because the relearn procedure will drain battery. I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP theft system. Is anyone familiar with this product? http://newrockies.com/buy-from-me/ It's called New Rockies PRO VATS bypass system. I wonder if it will fix my problem. I'm gonna get fired over this. GM IS WELL AWARE OF THIS ISSUE, AND LIES TO CUSTOMERS WHEN YOU CALL TO COMPLAIN, CITING THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH COMPLAINTS FOR A RECALL. BUT THEY ALSO WILL NOT TELL YOU HOW MANY HAVE BEEN MADE NOR HOW MANY ARE REQUIRED. WITH THE GOVERNMENT BAILOUT OF GM, YOU THINK WE, AS TAXPAYERS, WOULD BE ENTITLED TO A RECALL SINCE WE BASICALLY PAID FOR IT ALREADY.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Sep 082011

Malibu

Problems with the auto theft system happened to me 3 times within the past month!!! Had to use up 2 AAA tows to have my mechanic look at it--fortunately he was able to get it started. Because of THIS SITE I was able to use the 10 min bypass theft system--today I called Chevy and filed a complaint--this problem still not recalled!!! I was told that if it happens again to call Chevy roadside assistance& have them tow it to dealership-- Thank you all so much for helping me get past this ridiculous problem!

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 202011

Malibu

It's really annoying that every time I think it aint gonna happen again, it happens when its the worst time ever. It took me forever to even figure out what the problem was.

- , Conneaut, OH, USA

Apr 102011

Malibu V6

Bought car new. Been a great car. Only replaced front wheel bearings in 8 years. Wouldn't start this morning. Got on Net and found the 10 minute "on" solution and it started. Anti-theft light has been coming on intermittently while driving for about 2 weeks. Don't know what I'll do next. At least spring is here !

- , Freedom, PA, USA

Jun 172008

Malibu 6 cylinder

The theft system should be on the recall list. I have know idea why this has not happened yet. !!!!

- , Gentry, AR, USA

Jun 282010

Malibu LS

My car, like the others, began having trouble starting and the theft system light turns on. What works for me, is to turn the key to "on" and wait a few seconds (I'd say about 5 seconds). If the lights and fuel gauge turn off or never turn on, the car is not going to start. So, leave the key were it is and wait for the lights and gauge to go on. This can take a few seconds, or it can seem like half a minute. Once they are on, you can turn the key to start the car. I usually wait a few more seconds before starting, because occasionally it will be a tease and turn back off again (resulting in the car not starting, obviously). If it does this, just keep it at "on" until it comes back. If it turns off while trying to start, I turn it off and start over. I've never had it "tease" more than once before it starts.

Obviously, this is not a permanent fix, but it will get you started a lot quicker than the 10 minute trick. This usually only takes a few seconds, and at most it's been less than a minute for me. Hope this helps. I do plan to get my car to the shop and see what they can do, since this is definitely still a problem. I'm sorry to see what bad luck some have had with their Malibu, as this is the first major issue I've had and I bought it new. I still love my car, have had many compliments on how smooth it rides, and hope to get this resolved soon.

- , Winter Spgs, FL, USA

Mar 122009

Malibu

My boyfriend read the owners manual and it explained how to fix it so that is what he did and it worked okay till the next time

Feb 242010

Malibu

OKAY NOW I'M MORE THAN PISSED my car sits in the drive way and it more than likely will cost me more than blue book trade in value to fix the car grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dec 242009

Malibu

This time my son used the spare key and it worked after that until.............

Sep 122004

Malibu

I purchased my 2003 Malibu in November 2003 in September 2004 it was being repaired it less then 20,000 miles and was not a warranty issue because it was an electronics issue. i could barley make the payments at the time and had to pay out of my pocket and spend the night in the car till i could call someone to come get me.

Feb 022010

Malibu 3.1L

we was going down the highway and it just died on us and we got it towed home, and we have did the 10 min. relearn stuff and it is not working either. so we called the GM main office and the lady said that they know about the problem but there is not enough complaints coming in about the problem, bull-sh*t, from seeing all of the people with the same problem i think there is a problem, and if everyone will go and make a complaints maybe GM might actually be nice and fix the problem. if you go and type in nhtsa you can fill a form out about the problem it only takes about 10 mins to do, if some other people will do that maybe they will see that we are serious about this matter. as for now all we can do is just look at the car. what a bummer!!!!!!!!

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Sep 242009

Malibu

Bought my car brand new in 2003. For the last month or so I was having a problem removing the key after placing the car in park, I would joggle the gear stick, and the key would come out, well yesterday when I went to put my key in to start the car key I could not even turn the key, it was if the car did not recognize the key, as of now it is still in the shop having the ingnition replaced, do not know as of now what the cost will be. Went online and read numerous complaints and that this is a ongoing problem. This should be on a recall list and the owners be reimbursed for repair charges

- , Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Sep 122009

Malibu V6

this problem exists in dangerous situations. this has happened 3 times already in the past month.

- , Hardinsburg, KY, USA

Feb 272009

Malibu LS 3.1L

Problem: 2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS, Theft System Light comes on, car wont start.

Solution: Remove Radio Unit, find 3 small wires bundled together(Black, White and Yellow). With Engine running, cut yellow wire. This will cause the "Theft System" light to come on solid. Proceed to shut engine off. Splice yellow wire, and add in a On/Off toggle switch inline with yellow wire. Leave toggle switch in "Off" position to disable vehicle Theft System. Tape or solder each end of yellow wire to the inline switch. The Theft System light will stay on, but the problem is solved with no further starting issues.

The only time you may have to switch the Toggle switch to "On", is if the vehicles battery is ever drained, or an electrical issue is present. This will cause the vehicles Powertrain Control Module to reset and revert back to factory settings. Once the vehicle is started again, switch the toggle switch to the "Off" position. This costs under $10 bucks, and saved hundreds of dollars as opposed to frequent dealership visits to troubleshoot the problem.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada