2004 Chevrolet Malibu accessories - interior problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 132012

Malibu 6-cyl

Safety issue with driver's seat. Tilts and leans, broken weld. This is a safety warranty and should be fixed by the manufacturer.

- Stuart, FL, USA

May 212012

Malibu 6-cyl

Was backing out of parking space and heard a metallic clank from under the driver seat. The seat tipped back and to the right, as if the right rear corner of the seat is no longer supported. The car is not safe to drive, as the seat moves around freely and would not be as safe in an accident. After a very short internet search, I found this is a very common problem to this model and year.

- Charlotte, MI, USA

Nov 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

The driver's seat tilts to the right. If I pull the seat up before getting in the car it is okay until I hit the brakes or the gas, then the seat will just drop. Which can cause an accident if a less experienced person was driving. The seat has been like this for the last 5 years. I finally got fed and asked my mechanic to see if he could possibly put it back on track but he advised that the frame is broken. After going to, I find that this is a defect that is prevalent in the Chevy Malibu. I believe this is not only a defect but one that presents a safety issue.

- South Holland, IL, USA

Oct 052011

Drivers seat broken. Appears a metal weld under the seat broke and causes the seat to lean back and to the right.

- Freeport, IL, USA

Dec 022011

As I turned my 04 Malibu to the lt my drivers side front seat broke on rt side causing me to lean hard to the rt and rearward almost loosing control of car. I have 81371 mi. On car. Appears to me to be a safety issue. I thought GM stood by their products. Looking at all the other complaints about this same issue and GM refusing to fix this safety issue, I am worried about how safe this car really is. I also had my heated seats come on all by their over 300 documented times while under warranty and said there was nothing wrong with it. The seats came on even when no one was sitting in the seat.

- Scottsville, KY, USA

Dec 012011

Malibu 6-cyl

Drivers seat unstable. Dealer reports that two welds on seat rail are broken. Right side of seat tilts back when seat is raised above lowest position.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Oct 202011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving 65 mph the drivers seat snapped out of place and leaned to the right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic test and stated the failure was caused by the drivers seat brackets. The VIN was unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 102,000.

- Hondo , TX, USA

Sep 122011

Malibu 6-cyl

The driver's seat broke causing me to fall/rotate to my right and to the rear of the car. Seat failure was caused by a structural failure of 2 welds on the bottom seat frame. Welds located at the right bottom rear and right bottom front of the main support members. The seat frame has been replaced by a local service repair shop. I kept the frame after seeing what caused the seat to fail. I can provide pictures if you need them.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 202011

Malibu 6-cyl

The drivers seat frame welds broke, leaving the seat unstable and leaning to the right. The vehicle had 50,000 miles on it and was driven primarily by one person and maintained well. The primary driver was @ 200 lbs.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

May 312011

Malibu 6-cyl

Bought my 2004 Chevy Malibu in June of 2010 and just recently the support beam on the right side of the seat gave way. I don't jerk around in my seat I just get in and drive my car. Never had this happen before and I was heavier when I bought the car! I have a warranty which I hope covers it. However, I have noticed other people have made complaints about this very same thing happening on the right side of the seat and documented it online. I want it to be checked out as a safety issue for possible recall by Chevy.

- West Islip, NY, USA

May 172011

Malibu 6-cyl

One day, I was adjusting the power seat while sitting in it and the seat suddenly dropped down on the right side, so that I was tilting back and right. The frame weld had broken, so now adjusting the seat up/down only affects the left side. Since the seatbelt is attached to this frame, it strikes me as a serious safety hazard; in a crash, more stress would be put on the intact left weld and if it failed then the seat would come free from the rest of the car... I have not sought to get this fixed yet as I am weighing my options on a potential $1,000+ repair/replacement.

- Arcade, NY, USA

Jan 162011

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering column would become loose while driving at any speed and the wheel would sporadically shake when driving over 50 mph. In addition the power steering warning light was illuminated when the failure would occur. The contact stated the failure was the second occurrence and the steering column was replaced in 2007. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired for the recent failure. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 115,000. The consumer stated the vehicle made a clunking, knocking and rattling sound when driven at a low grade speed and when the steering wheel was turned. The vehicle also shook violently. The driver seat didn't to stay on track and was difficult to adjust forward and backward. The horn and cruise control were inoperative. The brake and accelerator pedals no longer adjusted. The safety locks did not latch at times when the button was pushed and the gas cap continued to open after it was locked causing the engine light to illuminate. Updated 02/01/12

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Mar 112011

Malibu 6-cyl

Chevy Malibu driver side seat frame broken welds. The welds in the frame have broken causing the seat to become unstable. If the car was involved in a minor accident the seat would fall apart. I am average size and weight and believe this is a factory defect.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Apr 112011

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 75 mph the right drivers seat detached from the metal base. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The manufacturer filed report 71937106775 but would not assist with the repair cost, because of the age of the vehicle and since the warranty expired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 131,000. Updated 07/08/11 the consumer stated the weld broke on the driver's side seat while driving 75 mph. The seat tilted back to the right rear. Updated 07/20/11

- Holly, MI, USA

Jan 102011

Malibu 6-cyl

My front seat broke on one side causing me to sit lop sided while driving. My mechanic repaired 3 times and said it had to be replaced. The front and rear blinkers continuosly go out. The bulbs are fine the connection is just loose.

- Prineville, OR, USA

Jun 062010

Malibu 6-cyl

Broken weld on drivers side front seat.

- Wall, NJ, USA

Dec 062010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while sitting in the driver seat, she noticed a discomfort and that the seat would move as she was driving. She took the vehicle to an authorized dealer who advised her that the welding had fractured and that she needed to replace the entire driver side seat. The manufacturer was contacted and advised her that they would not assist due to the mileage on the vehicle. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. Updated 04/15/11 the consumer contacted GM and was informed that due to the mileage on the vehice, they would not cover the cost. Updated 10/12/11

- Tyler, TX, USA

Nov 082010

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Malibu driver side seat frame broken welds. The welds in the frame have broken causing the seat to become unstable. Given that the welds are breaking under normal use and that the seat restraints are anchored to this frame causes safety concerns. If the vehicle owners are unaware of a defective weld and the seat should break under crash impact the safety restraint could fail possibly causing greater harm. I have experienced this problem under normal conditions and can see that the integrity of the seat and safety restraint could be compromised. I subscribed to some car forums and was surprised to see the number of people with the same problem on the 2004 and 2005 Chevy Malibu models which indicates some form of defect. I am of average height and weight and did not misuse the seat in anyway.

- Rome, NY, USA

Oct 132010

The welding under the driver seat is broken causing the seat to tilt to one side and sometimes rock. If a collision occurs the seat will not hold the driver securely in the seat.

- Kilgore, TX, USA

Jul 112010

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While traveling at 5 mph, the driver side seat suddenly shifted backward without warning. The dealer re-welded the driver side belt frame to the base. There were no prior warnings of the failure. The current and failure mileages were 74,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA