9.3

$1,500.00

1. glitch in computer software (1 reports)
  2. module needs replacing but no parts available (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Apr 152008

Malibu Maxx V6

I also had a problem with my car having a mind of it's own. A couple months back my Malibu had problems starting on completely random occasions. For a while I was usually able to give it a few tries, let it sit for fifteen and it would work around the second or third time after that, but then it got to the point where it just flat out wouldn't start without a jump. Battery was checked, and was fine, then they suggested something was wrong with the starter. Turns out there was a glitch in the computer software prohibiting the starter from working correctly, and of course this wasn't covered under even the best warranty they dealer had, as it is a software problem and not a problem with the actual computer so be prepared to dish out at least a couple hundred bucks. Has started fine ever since. Had a problem with the gauges a couple miles later. Temperature gauge refused to move up. A couple days later it worked again but instead of going automatically to the middle when the car turned on it started taking at least 10-15 min to hit center. Fuse was fine, and I didn't consider that a big enough problem to worry over.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 032008

Malibu

I thought I was the only one having this much problems because the service department swore that they have never heard of this as a problem with other Malibu's. After not being able to start my car and having it towed to the service department on two occasions the mechanic has narrowed it down to a MODULE needing to be replaced so the service department placed a order back in May. Now the problem is that GMC no longer makes this part nor do they have any in stock to make this worse they do not have a supplier to build this part. So if you are having problems with your STARTER - LIGHT ON YOUR DASH STAYING ON - AC/HEATER NOT WORKING - ALARM SYSTEM - RADIO - and I am sure there are many other problem awaiting ask if you too need a MODULE that they can not replace. Any suggestions who we can contact.

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

May 222008

Malibu Classic 2.2L

I must go back a few years when i got the car as a second owner. I got my 2004 car in 2005 with only 15000 miles on it. During this time Whenever i put the car into park or neutral it would honk randomly. I took it to the dealership which of course found nothing. This was a sporadic thing that was never consistent. Then the honking was accompanied by random beeping, similar noise to when you program your radio. Then came the windows. Sometimes they would roll down sometimes they wouldn't. then the door locks... rest assured the dealership still never found anything. At this time my warranty was up. On Tuesday my check engine light would come on. I took it in and they told me it was on due to me just replacing the original tires and it was messing with the sensors. 2 days later on Thursday may 22 the BATTERY light came on. I called my mom she said I was fine. I went to the show with my mother and when I came back out the light did not come on. I took it over to my dads. then the light came on then went back out. My dad said I probably had a short and told me to take it over to SHucks to test the battery. I did. When they guy came out to my surprise my car would not start. it was dead. He told me my battery was low. He4 then came out with a jumper battery and jumped my car. At this time he determined that it was my alternator that was bad and I had to get it fixed. I spent 200.00 for a new alternator and had my father install it. Low and behold my car was alive.... or so I thought. Wile dancing around proud that I had my car back.... a cloud doomed over my head.... once again the battery light came on. Ok maybe my battery was too dead..... so i went to the store and purchased a 100.00 battery. I put it into my car and low and be hold it was alive again....YES!!!! I was happy...until i went to pull it into the garage and I'll be damed if that stupid BATTERY light came on again. Dad said It might take a moment for it to recharge. So we drove it around the block. Nope it came on again and my car started to dye. My dad noticed that if he wiggled the ignition it would make the battery light disappear and reappear like a magic trick.... cool huh... Once again thinking it might be a short my dad suggested I take it down for a diagnostic test. I went to Minike and there was a mechanic that came over played with my ignition and told me he had the same car with a similar problem come in. The mechanic told me it was my ignition lock cylinder which runs 200.00 for the part and almost 300.00 for labor.... wowsers I spent a whole months paycheck already and I still don't have a clue as to what is going on. I did research to find many other people having the same problems as I. Some it was a faulty wire under the dash others it was ignition issues.... Whats wrong with my car? I'll take door number 3. I have to take it down to the mechanic on Tuesday hopefully i can find out then.... to the blinking Christmas light thing as one person has experienced.... I too have had the same thing.... is it a wire? computer malfunction? ignition? battery? alternator?.... for alll i know... my car is a pretty lump of scrap metal!

- , Meridian, ID, USA