1. replace switch (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Nov 182011

Malibu LX 2.2L 4 cyl

I had my oil changed before Thanksgiving of 2011 at an establishment in Garland, Texas. Arriving home to Sulphur Springs, Texas, I noticed a burning smell, thinking this was spillage from the oil change, did not check into it. I drive my vehicle back and forth to work about 20 min both ways! Did not check my oil thinking it was burned off, since I had just had oil changed, and the oil light on my car did not come on! Continued driving until Christmas. 2 days before Christmas my car would not start after several attempts, then when it did, it sounded like a machine gun when I would accelerate. The oil was checked and I was completely dry! Put 4 quarts in it and noticed it continued to lose oil under car. A friend checked several possibilities to pinpoint the problem. The flywheel, and checked to see if the car had a cracked block! He finally narrowed it down and saw that it was leaking from the oil sensor switch! Removed this switch and took to several parts stores to get a new one. When looking up part they would ask me if I had a gauge or a light on my car. I have a light (small oil can that comes on when the car is started) I found out that the sensor switch put on my 2004 Chevrolet Malibu was for a vehicle with a gauge not a light. We have never had repairs done on this particular part so it came from manufacturer with this sensor switch on it. I now have engine damage that will probably not be fixable, just maintainable! I wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their oil light not coming on when it was low on oil or in need of attention?

- , Sulphur Springs, TX, USA