2004 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 152013

Malibu

Brake lights come on for no reason, shut off cruise control.

- Napoleon , OH, USA

Jan 212013

Malibu 6-cyl

As for the lighting I cannot count how many light bulbs I have replaced on this vehicle to the point that I had the auto shop replace them since I thought I was doing something wrong. They only last about a month or two and burn out which is really dangerous when you don't know if will work or not. The steering issue is a much more dangerous problem, this is my wife's car and she got stuck leaving the house and physically could not turn the steering wheel which she described as locking up. I can not imagine if she were to be turn down a busy intersection on not been able to turn the vehicle to the proper lane. This is dangerous and should be a recall item as the 2005's were!!!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 062010

Malibu 6-cyl

This has been an ongoing incident with one or both turn signals lamps for more than two years. The turn signal lamps themselves do not appear burned out but the lamp socket wire melts the plastic housing from excessive heat and causes a break in the electrical circuit. I have made multiple bulb replacements over the two plus years only to have the turn signal socket plastic housing fail repeatedly. This situation may be a solder joint cracking caused by rapid temperature transitions. If solder joint cracking occurs and results in an open circuit, the turn signals lamps become intermittent or inoperative. Consequences: When the turn signals are inoperative, the driver cannot use them to signal intent to turn that could result in a crash.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Jul 062010

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Sep 192008

Malibu

I bought a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu in 2008, since that time I have had to replace the front turn signals approx. 6 times due to the plastic on the signal bulbs, melting and covering the wire S that go over the plastic that make contact with the plug the bulb goes into.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Jul 152011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact inspected the front drivers side turn signal, running lights, and hazard lights and noticed they were not illuminating properly. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Sep 162011

Malibu

Rear turn signal bulbs burn too hot and melt bulb connection. Front turn signal bulbs burn too hot and melt lens housing, causing severe discoloration in headlamp assembly. Headlamp becomes very hot to touch, could possibly start a fire. I have read multiple complaints on this issue and cannot understand why this has not been a recall by GM. I am very frustrated.

- Bergholz, OH, USA

May 242011

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Malibu lt front left & right amber headlight assemblies are melted. Left side is 9 months old and already melted through. Right side looks like original, has plastic amber bulb melted on top. On left side bulb socket is burnt. I am using the appropriate bulbs required for the front and they were installed correctly. This can be a fire hazard.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Jan 102011

Malibu 6-cyl

My front seat broke on one side causing me to sit lop sided while driving. My mechanic repaired 3 times and said it had to be replaced. The front and rear blinkers continuosly go out. The bulbs are fine the connection is just loose.

- Prineville, OR, USA

Dec 242010

Malibu 6-cyl

12/24/2010 while driving a 2004 Chevy Malibu my engine light came on and then the steering wheel locked up while driving and it made a sudden jerking stop. This was the first time this happened but it scared both my daughter and I. then in addition to keep replacing my headlights and tail lights pretty much every other month they blow out and need to be replaced. For both incidents a local mechanic was consulted and he recommended that I contact a GM dealer ship to check for recalls. I did that and received information that there has not been a recall for the current situations but there has been many similar complaints with the same make and model car and was referred me to the nearest dealership to be checked.

- Racine, WI, USA

Oct 222010

Malibu

Hazard switch is defective and causing the directionals not to work. The external lights, front and back fail to work also, and its creating a hazard where the cars coming in front us or the cars in back of us don't see our blinker. We thought they where working and they are not. If we turn on the emergency flasher and then turn on the directional everything would work only to fail next time you make a turn.

- Clark, NJ, USA

Sep 202010

Malibu

The front passenger bulb stopped working. After attempting to replace the bulb, noticed that the lighting assembly was melted and inoperable. Was advised by a mechanic that the entire assembly needed to be replaced.

- Monroeville, AL, USA

May 152009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the light bulbs of the headlight assembly were too high in voltage that they were leaving brown burn marks. The dealer was informed of the failure and they stated that they could not assist with the failure due to the mileage and age of the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 114,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Hammon , IN, USA

Jul 212010

Malibu

2004 Chevrolet Malibu - both front headlights assemblies are melting from the heat coming off of the turn signal/marker light. The plastic bulb housing is actually melting enough to drip onto the bulb causing them to break and need replaced. This is definitely a fire hazard.

- Smithsburg, MD, USA

Jun 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

Purchased a used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu in April 2009 at a Saturn dealer. A month after the purchase the front left turn signal stopped working. I replaced the bulb with the part number identified in the owners manual. A few weeks later it stopped working. I continued to remove and/or replace the light bulb until it worked for a few days or weeks. After several times of replacing the bulb I took the car to the Saturn dealer in August 2009. They supposedly replaced the entire head light assembly which cost several hundred dollars. The issue seemed to have been resolved until June 1 2010 when the light bulb stopped working. After investigation I noticed the left turn light bulb was mostly white in color and the turn signal amber colored lens was melted with a hole in it. It seems that during the summer months when it is hot the lamp is overheating. My left turn signal light is currently not working. The Saturn dealer went out of business and closed. After research I found this is a common problem with the 2004 Malibu (url below). Please investigate to see if a recall exists for this problem and if this can be permanently fixed by a Chevrolet dealer. ?Q=turn+signal.

- Portage, MI, USA

Jan 132005

Malibu

The front yellow signal light seen to get very hot melting the inner cover which is locate inside the headlight in both of them it seen that most of these car has the same problem.

- Guayama, PR, USA

Oct 102004

Malibu

2004 Chevy. Malibu turn signal bulb/daytime running lights melt through the plastic amber cover and constantly burn out the 3157 light bulbs. The company has several repair reports for this VIN; now I replace the bulbs myself. GM does not want to recognize the problem. My headlights are ruined, the lens covering the entire headlamp has cracked from the heat and is stained from heat damage. This is a costly repair that GM will not perform.

- Brigantine, NJ, USA

Oct 152009

Malibu

Problem with our 2004 Chevrolet Malibu: Both parking lights have burned through/melted the headlight covers. We have been advised that it's not possible to just replace the headlight cover; the entire headlight assembly must be replaced. This is an expensive repair for an apparent engineering defect.

- Camden, MI, USA

Mar 122009

Malibu

Intermittent turn signal problems. Front and rear bulbs stop working, the bulbs are frequently replaced but the flashers still stop working. When we take the old bulb out the element in the bulb is intact.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Feb 162009

Malibu

I have had to replace all of the rear and front light bulbs in my 2004 Chevy Malibu in the past nine months. I bought this car used from a Chevy dealer in 2006. Two weeks after owning it the little Malibu emblem on the dash board fell into the dash and shredded when we tried to get it out to replace it. Little things that happen ad up and are very frustrating to an owner who thought they were getting a good quality car.

- Grafton, MA, USA