2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 12 of 33)

Sep 192012

Malibu

I am having the same problem as half the 2004 Malibu owners. I have a 2004 Malibu my power steering just stops working. This has happened several times. I have almost had several accidents because of this. I found 176 people on one website that is also having this problem and several other website with the same complaint on. Chevy has not recalled the 2004 for it. However that did recall the 2005 for the same problem. That only because someone died in the car due to the power steering problem. Wow now I feel safe. I am a single mom I cant pay $600 for a maybe fix. They cant promise after replacing the steering column it will even fix the problem. I cant buy a new car. They need to take responsibility for there mess up. Guess I have to wait till someone dies in the 2004 before they fix it and who knows I might be the one that does. Facebook connect

- Tracy, CA, USA

Dec 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle regained steering on its own. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the tie rod end needed to be replaced. After the repair the failure continued. The driver was traveling approximately 45 mph when she lost control of the steering and crashed into a telephone pole. The driver was transported to the hospital by ambulance. The contact stated that the driver sustained injuries to her neck, head and back. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Norht Muskegon, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu lt. Consumer writes in regards to power steering problems. The consumer stated each time he turned the steering wheel, the warning light would illuminated. It locked up on one occasion and the consumer was unable to turn the steering wheel. The consumer discovered a recall had been issued for the electric power steering starting with the 2005 models.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Aug 262010

Malibu 6-cyl

First time it happened we were pulling out of a parking lot. Power steering message came up and steering wheel got stiff and we could not turn the wheel, my husband turned off the car and restarted it and the power steering came back. It has happened more than a few times since. My concern, I am a very small person I do not have the strength to turn the wheel when it happens and eventually I will not be able to get the car pulled over to a safe place to stop it and restart it. The last time that it happened to me was November 5 2012 taking my grandson to school going about 40 miles per hour, I was just driving along and the power steering just went out. I will tell you Chevy Malibu or any Chevy is not on my list for my next car.

- Wrightsville, PA, USA

Nov 052012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph the power steering failed. The contact mentioned that after turning off the vehicle for 10 minutes the steering resumed normal function. Also, the contact stated that the wrench symbol illuminated on the instrument panel when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and was told that the eletronic power assist failed. The failure mileage and the current mileage was 80,985.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 042012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became very stiff. The contact was able to pull over and check under his hood to see if the fluid was low. After lifting the hood the driver noticed that there was no reservoir for the power steering fluid. The contact then called the dealer and informed them of the situation. They advised him that the vehicle had an electronic motor and there was no where for him to place the power steering fluid. The driver waited a while and then restarted the vehicle, which temporarily repaired the steering failure. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was approximately 186,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Oct 252012

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving home from work my power steering light came flashed on the radio and the dashboard, I tried to make a right hand turn and the wheel was very hard to turn. I pulled over to the side of the road turned the car off and waited about 5 minutes started it back up and it was ok. I drove for about 1 mile and it did it again. This happened my whole drive home, I had to keep turning the car off at each intersection just to make it home. This happened again yesterday October 25th, I had to keep turn the car off in order to make it home. Since I drive about 8 miles each day to and from work I am concern that this is a very dangerous situation. I went on line and have found that this is a serious problem with the 2004 Malibu, why in the world has there not been a recall on this problem.? I am just thankful that I was not on the highway when this happened, because this could have been a disaster. I live in an area of the country that can be very bad in the winter and with this happening someone can be seriously hurt if you cannot maneuver in bad weather. I hope that there have been enough complaints that this will call for General Motors to do a recall before something terrible happens.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 112012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering failed without warning while turning left. The steering became hard to turn and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle. The steering resumed normal function for a brief moment and the mechanical warning light illuminated after the failure occurred. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 62,000 and the approximate current mileage was 64,000. Updated 3/5/13 the consumer stated the steering issue, was intermittent.

- Mountain Home , AR, USA

Oct 132012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed while approaching a stop light. The contact was able to coast into a parking area. The power steering warning light illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 163,000.

- Reading , PA, USA

Oct 092012

Malibu

Couldn't get out of my drive way. This is the first time this happens, went online to find a solution and found out it was a manufacturers error. I can see its not on the recall list even though there has been some complaining done, even after getting it "fixed".

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jul 152011

Malibu 6-cyl

In July 2011 the power steering went out. About a week later it started going out while driving. Had the steering column, and racket and pinion replaced, and the then the radio stopped playing cds, and the seat belt light constantly stays on even if you have the seat belt on.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jun 062012

Malibu 6-cyl

As my son was driving, the power steering went out and it was very difficult to steer. After turning off the car and restarting, the power steering came back on. This has happened twice.

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 062012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel as the failed power steering message appeared on the stereo display. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that there was a voluntary recall for the failure but stated that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Norfolk, NE, USA

Jun 252012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who reset the steering and corrected the failure for three weeks before recurring. The dealer was notified who advised that there were no recalls for the vehicle for the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 67,356.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jul 062012

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering on vehicle became difficult to turn to the right, but a lot of play in the wheel when turning left. Same situation happened off and on for approximately one week. On 7/21/12 while driving the vehicle, the console made a "dinging" sound and indicated that there was a problem with the power steering and simultaneously it lost all ease of steering. It had absolutely no power steering capability. It was very frightening to not have control of the vehicle and having to struggle to get the car to a safe place out of the road that I was driving on.

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Aug 012011

Malibu

Power steering goes out during summer months; paid to repair 8/2011; works ok during winter, but power steering goes out in summer months. This is dangerous. Almost had several accidents.

- Kilmarnock, VA, USA

Jun 242012

Malibu 6-cyl

As I drove my wife who was in labor to the hospital, the power steering failed as I began to turn into an intersection. Simultaneous to this, the check engine light came on. Barely made the turn without going into oncoming traffic. Power steering stayed off the rest of the trip. Arrived at hospital and turned car off. Power steering came back on. Power steering then failed on way home from the hospital.

- Amherst , NY, USA

Jun 262012

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving and I heard a ding, I looked down at my gauges and the steering light was on. After that I noticed the power steering was not there. I then shut off my car and let it sit and then started it. The steering was back on but I don't want my life or any others lives at risk. Updated 07/05/12

- Kimball, MI, USA

Jun 252012

Malibu 6-cyl

When starting my car, there was a warning chime and the message "power steering" appeared on my driver's information center. When I put my vehicle in gear there was a loss of power steering capabilities and it was very difficult to drive without the power steering enabled.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 062012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 208,000.

- Waukesha, WI, USA