2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 16 of 33)

Jun 152011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving 55 mph when the steering wheel locked abnormally and the contact was unable to maneuver the steering wheel. He also mentioned that the check engine light was illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer but the manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance, stating that there were no recalls for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 113,000.

- Rockmart , GA, USA

Jun 072011

Malibu 6-cyl

On Tuesday, June 7, 2011 the power steering on my 2004 Chevy Malibu ls suddenly went off while using the turn signal to change lanes at 5-10mph. A power steering problem was posted on the digital display and the car icon with a wrench lit up. Steering was very difficult, worse than manual and felt locked. I was terrified and immediately drove to the mechanic and left the car for them to inspect. They reported that the car started up properly and there was no problem with the power steering that they could detect. They drove it several times during the day but did not experience the power steering failure. Their research indicated that there were complaints on this model and the steering column may be defective. I also checked on the internet and found many complaints with the same problem. I believe that this problem is potentially a serious accident threat with possible death occurring and should be recommended for recall.

- Laguna Woods, CA, USA

Mar 312011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the vehicle would experience an intermittent failure in which the power steering would fail while driving at various speeds. During the failures, the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. In order to regain power steering, the vehicle would be restarted. An independent mechanic was notified and the contact was informed a module within the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were unavailable.

- Electra, TX, USA

May 242011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering stopped functioning with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The contact was able to apply extreme force to the steering wheel and maneuver the vehicle into a parking lot. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics and was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Festus, MO, USA

May 232011

Malibu

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu. I brought the car to the dealership for its 48K service and had steering trouble ever since. The problem started out easy to turn one way and hard to turn the other, then the difficulty would go away. After a week of this, it went out completely while turning into a parking lot. I had no power assisted steering at all and almost hit a parked car. After shutting off the engine and starting it back up again, it started working. Did bill gates help build this car"?" searching the web I found many, many complaints with the same type of concern. One person lost control and hit a guardrail. This has to be a safety issue and should be recalled. Thank you!

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 152008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the steering wheel starting moving from left to right independently. The contact stated that the failure would also occur when driving at various speeds. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic where the steering rack was replaced but the repair did not remedy the issue. The contact stated that the vehicle was becoming unsafe to drive and he was fearful that the failure would cause a crash. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Bonner Springs, KS, USA

Apr 292011

Malibu

I bought my 2004 Chevy Malibu about 2 weeks ago from a used car lot. A day and a half after I got the car I started having problems with the power steering. It would just lock up while driving. It is very dangerous. It is all I can do to get to the side of the road when this happens. I could be killed and so could my kids while riding with me. I had a used power steering motor put on, now I find out that I really should have had the whole power steering stuff replaced. All together the power steering has done this about 6 times since I got the car. After doing a lot of research online, I find that there are so many people with this same problem. How long do we have to wait for there to be a recall. Does there have to be a lot of deaths before someone will do something. It is a shame that GM does not care more about their customers than they do themselves.

- Waco, KY, USA

May 082011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering was defective. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering column was not receiving the message to activate and caused the malfunction. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recall. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 81,000.

- Washingtonville , NY, USA

May 032011

Malibu 6-cyl

Was making a sharp right turn from a full stop and the service engine light came on and the power steering ceased working as we turned into traffic. This is the first time it happened (5/3/2011), but we have only owned the car since 3/11/11. I have a mechanic looking into the issue, but online searches reveal that this is a known problem with 2004 Chevy Malibu's and was part of the reason for recalls of the 2005 model. Huge safety issue as the steering becomes almost impossible and the only known remedy is to shut off the engine and restart after which the power steering comes back.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

May 032010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering would lock making it impossible to steer the vehicle. The dealer was contacted who stated that the steering column would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted to report the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and current mileage was 99,500.

- Shawano, WI, USA

Jul 122004

Malibu

In April of 2004 I purchased a Chevy Malibu with approx.12 miles on it, it ran fine for about 3 months until out of no warning as I was making a left turn at an intersection the steering wheel locked..the dealer replaced the steering column, and it worked fine, that is until now, seven years later the same thing has happened, now this time I realized some how if I restart the car the steering resets. I am afraid to drive it now, I have no warranty, and I think this should be a recall, because many others are experiencing the same problems.

- Robbins, IL, USA

Apr 032011

Malibu

My 2004 Chevy Malibu lost power steering while driving. The power steering goes on and off (working some days and not on others). The power steering is currently out and I cannot drive the vehicle. The Chevy dealership states this is a problem with the Malibu but since it is not under warranty I will have to cover the cost.

- Maricopa, AZ, USA

Apr 292011

Malibu

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu and lost power steering on the highway almost crashed into the divider. My pregnant wife was in the car with me at the time. After doing research on the web I find that this is a very common problem with all Chevy Malibu's why is there no recall!!! someone is going to get killed in one of these cars lucky enough it wasn't my pregnant wife or I !!!! the power steering light came on the dash and lost all steering abilities pulled over the vehicle and shut the car off and then turned it back on and it was as if the problem had gone away drove about another mile and it happened again. This is not the first time this problem has occurred. We have already replaced the steering column once already, now it looks like we will have to do it again. Why is the auto maker not required to have a recall for this problem as stated above it continues to be an on going problem in all Chevy Malibu"S regardless of the year!!!

- St.James, NY, USA

Mar 102011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph in the driveway, there was a sudden loss of power steering. The contact turned the engine off and restarted it, the vehicle resumed normally for ten minutes before the failure occurred again. The failure continued to occur at various speeds on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the steering column needed to be replaced due to a faulty sensor. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 92,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Glenwood, AL, USA

Dec 222010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving approximately 20- 60 mph when the steering wheel suddenly locked and then releases independently within seconds. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic and they advised her that the steering column would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Branford, CT, USA

Apr 162011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering failed sporadically with the illumination of the service engine and power steering warning lights. The contact stated that the power steering would reset once the vehicle was turned on and off. The vehicle was not inspected at the time of the complaint. The failure and current mileage was 128,000.

- Winterset, IA, USA

Apr 012011

Malibu

The electronic steering has failed while turning or accelerating. This has happened several times. The steering returns once the RPM S settle out. The steering systems has been replaced twice and worked on several times. Chevy has issues being able to supply replacement parts and resolving this issue.

- Beverly, MA, USA

Mar 202011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph around a curve and the steering wheel failed to respond while making a turn for approximately five seconds. The failure occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they replaced the steering shaft. The failure mileage was 129,123.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Feb 142011

Malibu

The first incident happened driving down the road at 45 mph the steering wheel all the sudden dropped all the way down and the whole steering column slid in causing the car to swerve some. I pulled over and after attempting to lock the steering column back into place was finally able to get it to lock into place. This has happened several times over the past month. It doesn't matter if I'm driving or backing it just all the sudden does it. If you touch the steering wheel while the car is turned off it will drop down. And if it is in a down position it will slide in and out. This is very dangerous and I fear that the next time I might not be so luck to keep control. I almost hit another car yesterday when I was backing out of a parking space because as I was turning to wheel it moved out of position causing the turn to go another direction.

- Washington, DC, USA