2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 17 of 33)

Jul 152009

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While the contact was driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated until the engine was turned off. There was a slight loss of power steering for a few seconds. On a separate occasion, the engine warning indicator illuminated and a message displayed on the instrument panel indicating that the fuel cap was open. The failure would occur sporadicly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic three different times for diagnosis however, they were unable to locate the problem and the failure persisted. The failure mileage was approximately 114,000.

- Bonaire , GA, USA

Mar 012011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and would not allow the contact to make a left or right turn. The vehicle then started to jerk violently. The contact did not inform the dealer or manufacturer nor was the vehicle diagnosed or repaired. The current and failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Calumet Park, IL, USA

Feb 212011

Malibu 6-cyl

While exiting parking lot onto highway the driver information panel dinged and complete loss of power steering occurred. Car was parked and towed home next morning restarted car and system reset.

- Union Beach, NJ, USA

Jan 012010

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering suddenly failed; the contact had to use extra force to keep the vehicle under control. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted which reset the power steering. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 104,957.

- Grand Bay, AL, USA

Jan 012011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but they were unable duplicate the problem. The failure continued to occur. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 03/29/11 updated 03/30/11

- Grandview , MO, USA

Feb 012011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While the contact was driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated suddenly. The contact turned the vehicle off which reset the warning indicator. The failure occurred at various times and was more frequent when making a turn. The vehicle was in the process of being taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Havana, IL, USA

Jan 082011

Power steering pump fail I didn't know that this cars have the power steering problem and there is no liquid or pump I am not sure if there is any so I guess is electric but is not functioning right.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 012011

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering intermittently goes out and when turning there are loud clunking sounds. This has happened numerous times and has almost caused multiple accidents. Currently we do not drive the car often because of the safety concerns.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Feb 182011

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2004 Malibu has a intermittent loss of power steering control. The first time this happened I took it to the dealer and was told " nothing shows up on the computer ". now the problem is occurring every day. A check on line shows that this is a major problem that G.M. will not address. Latest failure was this morning at startup prior to driving the car or even turning the wheel !

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Feb 132011

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu lt. Without warning one day while driving the car the dash tool light came on, chimes started ringing and my dash board read power steering. I lost control of the car. Could not steer it any longer. Thankfully I was not traveling fast stopped the car. Turned it off and restarted it again. The car drove fine for about one mile. I stopped at a stoplight and the steering wheel starting a jerking motion on it own. I finally got the car home and the lights and chimes went off again and I lost steering again. I can not drive the car any longer because I am terrified I will be driving and lose steering again. When I just start the car now the wheel will start the jerking motion again while just sitting there and if I put the car into drive the warning light and chimes come back on and it displays power steering again on the dash. I have read tons of complaints about the same issue and nothing is being done about it. I have contacted our local dealership in town about the problem and just for the part that might fix it is $738 and this morning I was quoted $455 just for the eps, $177 rackon pinion and $115 for the diagnostic. I paid almost $10,000 for this car about 6 months ago. One of the dealerships here won't even touch the car because they have seen too many that have come back 6 months later with the same problem. So I ask GM now, what am I suppose to do with a 2000 lb. Paper weight parked in my garage" some one is going to be killed because of this issue and no one wants to do a thing about it!!! how many lives need to be lost before GM or dot does something? my tax dollars bailed out GM and this is the way I am going to be treated now? not only me but the other thousands of complaints I have read on this car? why isn't someone doing something about it" if need be I will file a lawsuit to try to recoup some of my money. I am not a wealthy person by no means and I can't just go buy another car and when I can believe me it will not be a GM!!!

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Feb 082011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph the power steering failed, which caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a parked vehicle. The driver was not injured. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who confirmed that the steering column was faulty and had to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Ocean Grove, NJ, USA

Feb 042011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 to 50 mph the steering wheel would suddenly lock without warning. In order to unlock the steering wheel he had to stop and restart the vehicle on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was not inspected; yet, after speaking with the dealer they advised him that the sensor in the electric steering column failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 128,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Weyers Cave, VA, USA

Jun 142010

Malibu 6-cyl

Chevy 2004 Malibu. Constant warning concerning power steering, but it goes on and off and on and off. Have checked and nothing found wrong, but they do not really know. Suggest replacing elect pump, but then off the record say they would not. On line at least 100 or more people have experienced the same. Some have replaced, but warning still comes on. I do not know who to trust. I guess since Chevy has no real answer I will just take my chances. This needs to be looked into more seriously.

- N Charleston, SC, USA

Jan 312011

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2004 Malibu sedan with only 29330 miles on it had the power steering go out suddenly while driving and became almost impossible to steer it. The GM dealership I took it to said it's been investigated but not recalled although they have corrected the problem in newer cars because of the problem. I was fortunate to be in town and moving slow but this could have been a major problem if I had been going 50-60 mi per hour down the highway. It's a $600 repair to have it fixed. I think if cars with low use like mine have this problem then GM should recall and reimburse the repair.

- Saint Marys, OH, USA

Jan 272011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became very stiff and a steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was pulled over and shut down. Upon restart, the contact was able to operate the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 77,300.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jan 222011

Malibu 6-cyl

The car had been driving fine for the whole day. I maybe have put about 15 miles on when I went to make a turn going about 30 - 35 mph. The steering wheel tightened up. I drove about 3 miles straight with no turns and the steering wheel went back to normal. This has been happening to me on the freeway also. Once I get over 60mph the steering wheel tightens up on me. I pulled over once before and it returned to it normal self again and started acting up when I got back on the freeway. This is very dangerous and GM should look at fixing this problem. It almost caused an accident here once. Nothing has been done to fix this problem yet. I just bought the car a week ago with no warranty and it was not happening when I test drove the car. I don't have the money to fix this problem right now.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Jan 142011

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu (new body style). I have been have problems with the power steering. Last week I was driving and about to turn and the steering wheel locked up on me. I was in the middle of the road and had to turn the car off and restart it to unlocked it. Then today I started the car and the steering wheel would not move I have to turn it off and restart it to unlock it. This is a major safety concern and my dealer says their is nothing wrong with my car. I have as on today 45484 miles on this car and never been in a wreck. When I am driving straight on a road the power steering message displays on the dic. This is the same problem that the owners of the 2005 and later models are and have had.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Jan 112011

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering stopped working while I was driving on a highway at 60miles and hour. Has been intermittently lossing power steering since 1/11/11.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 182010

Twice in the last 3 weeks power steering failed while making a right turn at the bottom of a hill. Fortunately I had not yet pulled out into traffic or I would have been forced into oncoming traffic.

- Springvale, ME, USA

Dec 302010

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 45 mph the power steering locked and the vehicle became difficult to control. After turning the vehicle off and then back on the steering reset itself. The contact was able to control the steering wheel and drive the vehicle home. The dealer nor manufacturer were notified. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Hustonville, KY, USA